Got My SSI Approval in 33 Days!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kiwi47, Oct 2, 2002.

1. kiwi47

kiwi47 New Member

Greetings to everyone.......

I applied for SSI benefits in late August of this year. 33 days later I received a letter stating that I had been approved. I believe it was nothing short of a miracle, but also need to tell others a couple of things that I'm certain, helped my case.
    I have both CFIDS & Fibromyalgia.......going on 8 years now. I studied up on all the written material I could find online regarding disability and learned a lot. This may not help everyone, but if it only helps 1 person I will be happy.

1. My handwriting was not neat and tidy..... I have osteo arthritis which helped, in this case.
    2. I had forgotten so much regarding dates, etc.,.... so MANY of my answers were, "I cannot remember."
    3. My Rheumatologist had written me a letter of disability and I pretty much used the same wording as he did on his letter.

I also have osteoperosis which probably helped.

I am married but separated from my husband and living with my daughter, AND NOT receiving financial support from him!!

Hope this helps someone out there.

PS: I also have depression ( who doesn't with these illnesses??) and had been seeing a shrink ( no disrespect,...just can't spell pschy....) Also had been hospitalized in the pschy ward for 3 days due to thoughts of suicide.) I'm sure that also helped my case.

God Bless,
    nanak
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2002]
  2. kiwi47

kiwi47 New Member

Greetings to everyone.......

I applied for SSI benefits in late August of this year. 33 days later I received a letter stating that I had been approved. I believe it was nothing short of a miracle, but also need to tell others a couple of things that I'm certain, helped my case.
    I have both CFIDS & Fibromyalgia.......going on 8 years now. I studied up on all the written material I could find online regarding disability and learned a lot. This may not help everyone, but if it only helps 1 person I will be happy.

1. My handwriting was not neat and tidy..... I have osteo arthritis which helped, in this case.
    2. I had forgotten so much regarding dates, etc.,.... so MANY of my answers were, "I cannot remember."
    3. My Rheumatologist had written me a letter of disability and I pretty much used the same wording as he did on his letter.

I also have osteoperosis which probably helped.

I am married but separated from my husband and living with my daughter, AND NOT receiving financial support from him!!

Hope this helps someone out there.

PS: I also have depression ( who doesn't with these illnesses??) and had been seeing a shrink ( no disrespect,...just can't spell pschy....) Also had been hospitalized in the pschy ward for 3 days due to thoughts of suicide.) I'm sure that also helped my case.

God Bless,
    nanak
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2002]
  3. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I think you broke a record. If you don't mind could you tell me what state did you apply in? That seems to make a difference.

Again I am soooo Happy for you.

Cindy
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I don't know about the approval process being different, but I know that SSI is for people who are basically destitute and have little or no income and SSDI is for people who are unable to work dues to disability and have worked a certain number of quarters in the past (?) so many years. SSDI pays more and after a year you qualify for Medicare. SSI has Medicaid associated with it.

I started applying for SSDI in June, but am still filling out forms. Today, when I was not at home someone called and told my mother they were calling from the state about disability. I asked if they said if they were from SS or the state retirement system, to which I have applied for disability retirement (that's where I get my pension as a teacher).

She hasn't a clue and I'm not sure I can tell for sure from the phone number because I always use the 800 numbers and they call from their regular number, which is long distance from here.

They told her to tell me to return my forms and I asked if she told them I was still working on them. I received these in Mid-August and have worked on them as I have been able, but have had a major family crisis during much of the time which has limited the time I can work on their forms.

I'm hoping to be able to finish them soon, but every time I feel like I am making progress I look at the pile still left and it seems like it keeps growing!

Barbara
  5. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

Good morning and congradulations! I thought that I got my SSI fast, mine I received in 2 mths. What really caught my eye on your posting was that you also have osteoporosis. May I ask your age? I also have it! My is in part due to a car accident I had when I was 17 in 1974. I broke my neck and was paralzed for 2 mths. I guess because of all the bedrest I was a canidate for this wonderful disease, and a whole lot more of medical problems. I too am now divorced. When I was married I could not get any help because my husband made too much money. So I got rid of him and gained the cash,,,Ha! Sounds like a fair trade off to me. Congratulations again on your sweet victory. Much happiness...queenbee69
  6. kiwi47

kiwi47 New Member

I applied in San Antonio, Texas, without an attorney.

nanak
  7. dd

dd New Member

That is wonderful news! Miracles never cease do they.

Congrats,

Debbie
  8. kiwi47

kiwi47 New Member

I didn't get my forms back to the SS office until the very day they were required. I simply told them the truth which was; this is a long and painful process ( filling out this paperwork ) I'm sorry it took me so long.

It can be overwhelming, I know, but keep up the good work!! You'll eventually get to the end of it.

sincerely,
    marla/nanak
  9. kiwi47

kiwi47 New Member

Sounds like we've been in each other's shoes, although I am not divorced yet. It costs $700.00 in Texas and I just don't have that yet!!

I am 55,..... well, closer to 56 now. My osteoporosis is in my back and legs. Don't know how I got it unless it was genetics.

Would like to talk more with you....please email me, if you want, @ iammyowncar@hotmail.com

marla/nanak
  10. Singleton

Singleton New Member

My doctors agree I qualify for disability and my husband is deceased. I am told by the govt. that I haven't worked enough to receive any benefits for disability from my own Social Security, and am not eligible for money from my husband's SS. Anyone with any experience with this? I would like some pointers. I am also told that if I engage a lawyer I will get it. The govt. doesn't want us to know we are really eligible, so they tell us we aren't, but they don't try to argue with a lawyer. I hate to say it, but I believe it completely.
  11. pamj

pamj New Member

Here's what I know about getting a spouse's SS benefits when you are disabled.

My mom applied for SSDI a few months before my dad passed away. At the time she would have only been eligible to receive around $200 based on her past employment.

My dad passed away last August. He was 67 years old and had been receiving Social Security. His payments stopped the month he died, since my mom was only 55 years old. If she were at least 66 years old, she would have continued to receive his benefits in full (around 1200).

She was told that she would have to wait till she was at least "early" retirement age (62?) to receive reduced benefits (around 900), unless she was disabled. Since she was already in the process of trying for SSDI, she continued to fight with a lawyer until she was finally approved in January. So, now she will receive the "reduced" benefits of $909 (with cost-of-living increases), permanently. Also, since her disability actually began several years ago, she is now covered by Medicare.

I don't know what the rules are for a spouse who passed away prior to retirement age (if that's the case with you). I would think that if you are found to be disabled, then you should at least be entitled to reduced benefits based on your deceased spouse's earnings. You would have to find out about that. I don't see why SSDI shouldn't answer that question for you. If you have trouble with them, you will probably need to contact a lawyer.

I hope this didn't end up sounding too confusing.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out.

take care,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2002]