Got the Chinese herbs on the stove....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

coming to a boil in the new clay pot I had to buy for this purpose.

The Chinese doc says these are supposed to help me with my neck/arm pain, with increasing my energy, improving my bowel function.

I am supposed to boil them for 2 hours and then drink 1/2 the liquid now and 1/2 later. I may have to cheat a little cause I need to leave in less than 2 hours for 2 appointments.

Please god, let this work...

As many of you know, I have had problems taking pain meds.

If you are interested, I will let you know the ingredients I was given. I insisted, much to the Chinese docs chagrin, on being told what these 15 herbs were. He managed to translate 13 out of the 15 for me with a book and i researched those all on the internet last night [til 2 in the morning...]

a few are familiar: licorice root, astragulus root, dried tangerine peel, dried Chinese date. but others, such as Chinese Angelica root and much weirder others are not. One of them [radix ledebouriellae, [fang feng]] is purported to relieve pain and spasm.

I'll keep you updated.

Jen F
  2. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

prescription chinese herbs a few times, boiled them up in the funny-looking pot, etc. At first the resulting brew tasted horrid, but at one point I started craving it. These potions usually have had some effect on me, nothing drastic though.

yellowbird
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I'm trying to get my courage up to drink the other half of today's dose now...

No absolutely dramatic pain relief yet, unless it's short acting. I did have about 40 minutes of low pain during and after my half hour massage, which was right after drinking my dose. I attributed most of the pain relief to the massage, but perhaps herbs helped.

Okay, here i go again. Hope I can get this stuff down.

J.
  4. healing

healing New Member

I think the herbs, like homeopathics, act subtly and you have to be faithful in taking the tea. In an earlier post, I told you I take herbs in pill form and some of what you list is familiar to me. I'll try to hunt down my list that I typed up way earlier and paste it in here for you.
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I am having trouble getting through my cup of brown liquid, I keep telling myself it's a very expensive port that is simply an acquired taste and I should enjoy it. Taking me an hour to drink 1/2c.

I must admit my pain has abated a little bit!!

Jen F
  6. healing

healing New Member

Jen - I've included my homeopathics because there may be some overlap. Did not include my meds. It will be an interesting comparison!

I take 10 drops of Galium Heel on my tongue twice a day for pain relief.

From K'an Herbals, I take 2 750 mg tabs of "Quiet Contemplative" twice a day. This contains rehmannia glutinosa radix (cooked), Cornus officinalis fructus, Dioscorea opposita radix, poria cocos sclerotium, alisma orientale rhizome, paeonia suffruticosa cortex, morus alba fructus, lycium barbarum fructus, polygonum multiflorum radix cooked), cuscuta chinensis semen, eclipta prostrata herba, ligustrum lucidum fructus.
    *This calms my reactivity and quiets my stress level, allowing my immune system to repair itself.

From Health Concerns, I take 3 tabs 2x day of Astra Essence, which contains Astragalus root & seed, ligustrum fruit, ho-shou-wu root, lycium fruit, rehmannia root, eucommia bark, cuscuta seed, ginseng root, tang-kuei root, cornus fruit.
    *This remedy is for my immune system.

For digestive problems such as bloating, chronic diarrhea and/or constipation, I take 2 tabs of Heel/BHI's Hepeel.

For really bad flares, to reduce pain, I take Rhus Toxicodendron 6, 3 pellets under my tongue, 2-3x day.
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Well, my pain was lessened, but the best effect from the tea didn't last long and I feel weird now and still don't have enough pain relief.

I just took an extra str Tyl, put on tiger balm and comfy p.j. top so hopefully I get more comfortable soon.

The ingredients that I am taking that are the same as you listed are only:
    Astragalus root

although there are two Chinese herbs that the doctor could not give me the Latin name or even the english representation of the Chinese name.

BTW, I didn't know about Galium Heel on tongue twice a day for pain relief. What does Galium do?

You mentioned:

"For really bad flares, to reduce pain, I take Rhus Toxicodendron 6, 3 pellets under my tongue, 2-3x day."

I am also unfamiliar with this.

jen

PS. Next time I see this Chinese doc I think I will ask for more of the pain relieving herbS in the mix. I noticed that there was only a little pueraria root in the mix [i found a picture of it on the internet so was able to recognize it in the mix] and the myhealthspan site says it can be used for stiffness and pain in the neck and back, so I'd like to try more if it's safe.

8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

1. Glycyrrhizzae (licorice)– helps to relive pain and spasm
    2. Radix Astragali seu Hedysari [huang qi (jin)]
    3. Radix Codonopsis pilosulae [dang shen]
    4. fructus ziziphi jujubae [da zao] (fruit of the Chinese date palm)
    5. Fructus Aurantii (bitter orange) [Zhiziao]
    6. Rhizoma Seu Radix notopterygii [Qianghou] – can relieve pain
    7. Radix Angelicae Pubescents [Du huo}
    8. Radix Bupleuri [Chai hu]
    9. Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae [bai zhu]
    10. Radix Angelicae Sinensis [dang gui (shen)] – purportedly promotes blood circulation, relieves pain, moistens bowels
    11. Pericarpium Citri reticulate [chenpi] (dried tangerine peel)
    12. Radix Puerariae [ge gen]
    13. Radix Ledebouriellae [fang feng] – helps to relieve pain and spasm
    14. Rhizoma Cimicifugae [shen ma]
    15. ??? vine?
    16. ? (chicken blood vine??? - all oriental characters)

I have not been able to follow this protocol completely. I am trying to get through 1/2 c of this horrid stuff right now [leftover from yesterday] before I prepare the next batch. this time I will let boil for 2.5 hrs as was too weak this first time I think. I can just imagine how a more saturated solution tastes...oh lord give me strength.

Unfortunatley, this brings up the common problem:

Which is worse, the problem or the cure??

yuck [sipping the concoction]. I mean, ummm yuuummmmm. What a lovely exotic taste. I am so lucky to have this costly exotic drink.

Hope I can convince my body, i really want to try this.

J.
  9. healing

healing New Member

I guess I saw all those "radix" things and thought there were more similarities. Sorry!

You can get the Rhus Tox at a natural food store like Whole Foods. It's a cheap homeopathic and it does give relief. But use it only when you are really, really achy.

Gallium heel is a liquid homeopathic. I get it from my doc's office. It's in an alcohol base, so if you have problems with alcohol, you can put it in a cup of water and let the alcohol evaporate off. I've been on it about a year now.

Homeopathics are different from herbs in how they work, but they all are subtle in their effects and may take some time to appear to be working.

Keep with the tea. One reason it may taste so bad is the licorice root, which is really nasty stuff. :eek:P
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2003]
  10. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Okay, so I'm boiling up the herbs again.

Last time too much liquid left after 2 hrs or so of boiling, so this time I boil 2.5 hrs.

I just went into the kitchen to get my awful tea, and the ....pot is dry!!!

ahh, man!!

I just added a little over a cup of water, will heat it up and drink that, but don't know if that's any good. But, I'm sure will taste quite crappy.

Oh geez, I didn't realize 30 minutes could make such a difference in the amount...Reminds me of a beef roast i cooked for company. Was slightly underdone, so I put it back in oven for 15 minutes. then it was overdone!

Oh,no!! I just realized I forgot to take my Restoril!! yikes. But at least you can tell my withdrawal is over or I would have been counting the minutes...

oh, what a night! :)

J
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It must be 'witches brew' day, I made my four herb tea (Essiac) today too. This one takes close to two days to finish before its ready to drink. Its a Canadian Shaman's brew and its wonderful for a blood cleanser, liver and lungs, but not a pain killer.

I do have a book on Chinese herbs, but man this is the first book that I have a problem reading and understanding!

Its called; 'Chinese Natural Cures' by Henry C. Lu

I email your post of ingrediants to myself, and will see if I can find out what some of them are tomorrow, but I doubt if I get too much information from this crazy book!

Sure hope the tea helps you, it sounds like one huge combination for sure!

Shalom, Shirl

12. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Yes, I've heard of Essiac being used to help some people put cancer into remission.

I looked up all the ingredients the Chinese doc was able to translate on the net, actually. I found them all. so, I don't need new info, unless you have the common north american name!

But, it might be interesting for you to check out what each is supposed to do.

If you want to know what my search told me about each herb, just ask me for the specific plant info.

Witchy jen
  13. Jen F

Jen F New Member

But recently stopped cause didn't seem to do anything for me.

Do you really notice any pain relief with it?

Maybe I should give it a try agian. I might have stopped using it before I started having this significant pain.

Let me know, thanks. It costs me about $25 for 1 weeks supply.

Jen
  14. lucky

lucky New Member

I found your nice message, however, they changed something around on this board, and so I only can thank you for your message on your Chinese herb messages thread.
    It was only a short trip to Manitoulin Island, but it was worthwhile and I am happy that we finally were able to visit this part of our beautiful province. The sunsets up there are unbelievable, the air unpoluted, however, the ragweed is blooming in full swing!! It sure is a different world up there and great for relaxation and peace of mind.
    Hope that you are doing well on your Chinese teas, but it does not sound too 'inviting', as long as it helps.
    There is a Chinese shopping centre on Dundas in Mississauga and there is a herbal place where they mix all these different herbs according to whatever ails you. The woman who owns it is a Chinese doctor and you should see the variety of all the herbs, unbelievable, but some funny creatures as well, like dried seahorses as far as I remember. No, thank you.
    Take care and wishing you better days, Lucky
  15. healing

healing New Member

Jen - I pay about $11 for a small bottle of Gallium heel that lasts me much more than a month -- just 10 drops 2xday. Like all of us, I am taking a cocktail of things, so whether the Gallium heel is fully responsible for the lessening of my FM pain or it's something else or something in combination with something else...who knows? I do know that my FM pain (as opposed to my arthritis pain) has been reduced, and now my immune system is kicking in every so often. Could be the herbs, could be the homeopathics, could be the PT, could be the acupuncture....! But I am staying the course since it appears to be working.