Gr8ful 4 u all.........bedtime question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Dec 4, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

This board is sure a lifesaver for me, I am sorry for the ones we have run off (Sean?) but I know that those of us who stick with this place really benefit. I know some subjects like the sexual ones & bowel movement ones are kind of personal but we all do really help each other, it is nice to at least see that we are not alone is our symptoms, with such an ambiquous illness as this it is sometimes hard to know if we trust our own intuitions.

"Is this all in my head??? Why do I not even be able to have a normal sex life anymore???"

Anyway, my question of the day is this: I stay up till 1 most nights, I just don't seem to be able to keep my old schedule of 9 or 10 bedtime, am I the only one? I try to change it but can never seem to go for more than one night in a row in the earlier bedtime thing.

Anyone else?

I wake up for my son getting ready for school and I do find if I take my meds (ultram, skelaxin, zoloft, levoxyl, diclofenac) and then lay in bed & sleep or rest for an hour or two and then get up I seem to do better. It takes me at least a few hours of just being a lump to get going, shower, etc.

Is this the same for all of you?

My hubby & others tell me if I would just try to get on a normal clock I would feel better, a big catch 22.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

This board is sure a lifesaver for me, I am sorry for the ones we have run off (Sean?) but I know that those of us who stick with this place really benefit. I know some subjects like the sexual ones & bowel movement ones are kind of personal but we all do really help each other, it is nice to at least see that we are not alone is our symptoms, with such an ambiquous illness as this it is sometimes hard to know if we trust our own intuitions.

"Is this all in my head??? Why do I not even be able to have a normal sex life anymore???"

Anyway, my question of the day is this: I stay up till 1 most nights, I just don't seem to be able to keep my old schedule of 9 or 10 bedtime, am I the only one? I try to change it but can never seem to go for more than one night in a row in the earlier bedtime thing.

Anyone else?

I wake up for my son getting ready for school and I do find if I take my meds (ultram, skelaxin, zoloft, levoxyl, diclofenac) and then lay in bed & sleep or rest for an hour or two and then get up I seem to do better. It takes me at least a few hours of just being a lump to get going, shower, etc.

Is this the same for all of you?

My hubby & others tell me if I would just try to get on a normal clock I would feel better, a big catch 22.

Jaci
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This is a good topic! Many FMSers have "night owl" circadian rhythms. I don't think anyone knows if being a night owl and having to work in a "lark" world helps to cause the FMS, or if the FMS is what causes us to be night owls.
    I have actually had this confirmed by spending the night at a sleep lab. I had the expected alpha-delta sleep intrustion seen in FMS, as well as "delayed sleep-phase onset", which is a fancy way of saying I'm a night owl. The doctor told me that with my biological clock, I'd never be able to fall asleep before 1-2 am. without drugs. I said tell me something I don't already know! He said that he sees this a lot in FMSers, and that those of us who must work should work second shift. I can testify that the healthiest time in my life was when I worked second shift.

Dr. Harvey Moldofsky, who has done much of the sleep research on FMS, released info awhile back that FMSers have biological clocks that are advanced forwards, and get their best sleep between 5 and 8 am. He also advised working second shift for that reason.

I also read an article which said that 70% of people can adjust to any sleep schedule, 10% are larks,and 20% are owls. So, why are the larks running our society? It doesn't seem fair when they are the minority. My spouse is a lark, and he actually jumps out of bed at 5:30 am and whistles! I want to brain him with a pillow! But, he also falls asleep in a chair at 9 pm and misses all the good stuff on TV.
    This is not helping you with the solution, but at least it should make you feel less alone, I hope.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo

P.S. Tell your hubby and friends, that according to the Director of the St. Petersburg, Florida Sleep Disorders Center, your particular internal clock is genetic and nothing will change it. If sleep chemicals like serotonin are not released in your brain at a certain time, you will not sleep, no matter how badly you may want to. Some may disagree with him, but that's what he told me.
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and my hubby is a lark!! He's asleep by 8 p.m. at the latest and he wakes up at 4 a.m.....bout the time I'm catching a few ZZZZZ's! 1 or 2 is about right for me to get sleepy and 8 or 9 is my natural time to awaken. I did best working 3-11 shift....it just suited my nature much better. Of course, the best is being home to wake up naturally. I have always been this way.
    Kady
  5. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Calling all night owls for input.

Jaci
  6. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Hi Jaci, I'm an Owl too....my mom used to say,"her eyes pop open when the sun goes down!" Unfortunately all my kids take after me too. I always used to get a 2nd wind at about 10 PM & start laundry, clean up kitchen etc. Too many years of working crazy shifts at the hospital maybe. I think I avoid going to bed because I know how lousey I am going to feel in the morning too. I am really stiff & slow in the AM and even if I get up at 7AM & stay up I don't get much done - read the paper & check email and slug down coffee. I am not a good napper either. Probably because I feel like I need to get something done around the house. I've always been a wanna be when it comes to getting up & whistleing! You are not alone.
    Take care,
    Darla
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

It's almost 1 am...here in Texas, so I guess that 'bout sums up my experience, lol.
    My husband is in bed by 9 or 10 each evening. He keeps telling me I just need to get my hours switched around. I give it a try to appease him once a week or so. That darn ceiling staring really bores me, though, and I usually quietly slip out of bed when I can stand it no longer. It's just that my brain is going ninety to nothing---and there is nothing that shuts it down. I even can do self hypnosis--but pop back up rearing to go! I have yet to find a supplement or drug that will knock me out either.
    My best time to even attempt a try at sleep is about 3 am...but there are many nites that pass and I watch the sunrises. That seems to be my ideal time to go to sleep.
    I don't know---but I have been like this since a teen. I worked on a racehorse breeding ranch for years from 9pm-sunrise, as a midwife/vet tech. (vast majority of horses deliver there foals at nite). So climbing into bed at sunrise seems natural to me. (no wonder my family is hanging garlic around the house, lol)
    Karen
  8. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

My PCP has tried giving me many anti-depressants (for pain and good sleep) but I can't tolerate any of those. Everything inside me just flutters and hurts when I take them. I am on Vioxx which is the only thing I've taken that holds down my constant headache. That's all I am on currently (and premarine - the two "killer" medicines).

Anyway, I will be so tired, go to sleep at around 12 to 2 am (we are leftover 2nd shifters) and wake up with a few hours without having gotten done sleeping. My sleep patterns have been very messed up since being diagnosed with FMS over 2 years ago. I sleep about 2 hours during the day right now. Used to sleep much more. I seem to get really pepped up over nothing.

Since reading about the heart palpitations I understand that I must be experiencing those, also.

So the sleep pattern is definitely part of all this syndrome.
  9. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

This one I can answer at this hour and not worry about it. I think the reason I don't post much is because I am usually sitting down to the computer around 11 pm and its nothing for me to sit here until 2 or 3 am. When I go to bed early (9 or 10) I usually can't wake up the next day. Well I shoud say stay awake. I get up to go to the bathroom and fall asleep before I finish peeing. lol So I guess thats why i don't make myself go to bed early cause i hate it when I wake up 2 days later. You know I have spent most of my adult years asking clients and friends what time of day they were born. And compare it to their sleeping habits.
    Like usually someone born in the afternoon has no problem sleeping till noon. The ones that were born in the am hours are usually up bright and early. The ones born late at night are the ones that get a second wind around 9-ish. So what time were you born Jaci? does this fit in with your sleeping habits? I know it does for me, I was born at 1 pm. My son was born at 7:30 am and is always up early w/smiles. My daughter was born at 11:59 pm and let me tell you I have the hardest time getting her to sleep. Like you I do better with less sleep.
    I hope this helped. Ciao 4 Now
    Sandy
  10. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

I find that I often can't go to sleep until 3-4am, (and then I have to get up for work at 9am). I wish I could get to sleep at around 11pm but I just can't. And then of course I'm dog tired during the day. I only wish I could alter my shift until the afternoon and not work in the morning -- I'm sure I'd feel better. I've only had this syndrome since I got FM -- I'm sure they're linked.

I just posted another sleep topic that you might be interested to read,too.
    --Marcus
  11. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi all i cant beleive im reading this..im such a nite owl..my whole life..(well 22 years anyhow) since i was a kid ..i had a horrible high school experience and eventually dropped out my senior year because of this(i do have my ged)....i was aalways tested for mono..had a sleep study done cause i thought that i had narcolepsy..lol...and even thought that i jsut couldnt ..for some odd reason wake up at that time of day..id always wake up right after 8 am and anytime after 5 am id hear NOTHING...and all also add at that time i was in bed at 12ish--like any other 15,16,17 year old,i couldnt figure it out..well now i know i definately has cfs then but i now am still an owl...anything before 2:00 pm i have to set an alarm for, i work 3-11 shifts and thankgod i can ,when i had a teenage job at arbys--my boss knew better than to schedule me for a day shift.lol.and guess what time it is....5 am and still needing to go to bed haha but on to the birthtime thing i was born at 7:50 am ..so that profile doesnt fit me...and i know from trying to switch my rythem--haha ya right, at was after my sleep study that i dropped out because the doc said that i was too depressed(which was because of the pressure of graduating and never being on time and noone willing to help me --school counselors just thought i was a screw up) to be at school and i knew that was true because the problem only got worse and once i stopped going and got my ged things were alot better. well again this is a really great topic.
    ami
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  12. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I'm gonna mess this thing ya'll got going on up LOL>>>> I'm an early bird and have always been forced to be this way... being a first shift nurse LOL>>> occasioanlly having yrs at a time being at work at 6 am LOL>>> I go to bed early too,to sleep instead of catching up on the following morning cause my internal clock keeps me on rooster hours as I call em... I wake up like a rooster heralding morning and jump up outta d bed as soon as my eyes open... I used to be able to sleep late ( past 7 am ) when I was much younger... like my twenties... but since the thirties and up its outta bed at 6 even on days off.. However* upon reflecting,,,I did feel my best working second shift... however that is mostly a thing of the past now that twelve hour shifts have taken over nursey type jobs... o well... I can't do much right now anyway so that no biggie ... but this is an intersting thread and I wanna see if anyone else "speaks out " this morning!!!!!! Good luck !
  13. amilyne

amilyne New Member

bump bump bump
  14. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I believe I was born around 11 p.m. as were MY kids, ironically. We're ALL nightowls; I am, NOT by choice either as I've stated that my hubby is an earlybird!!!!!
    Kady
  15. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

Ever since I got this dd I have been a night owl. I sleep better if I stay up late, so that's what I do. I'm home alone all day, so I can't say it's for the quiet, it's just how I feel...I feel better in the evening and can't really get sleepy enough to go to sleep until around midnight or l:00a.m. If I try to go to bed any earlier, I just toss and turn and end up waking my poor hard working husband, so I just wait until I can hardly keep my eyes open, then I go to bed...works for me!

1Writer
  16. kadywill

kadywill New Member

1writer......I have always done best going to sleep later.
    Kady
  17. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

But that`s changed the last year. Now I prefer to stay up till 1 or 2 am. I used to always be in bed by 9:00 or
    10:00 pm. I`m not sure what made the change. But I still
    have to get up very early..6:30 to get the kids up for
    school. I usually then just stay up as its very hard for me to fall back asleep.

But I do take a long nap in the afternoon if I`m home.
  18. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Even pre-FMS. Of course, now they are trying to make me sleep normal hours, and sometimes, I think, that makes me worse. Drugs to make me sleep, and still don't feel better. Unfortunately, with my job, I MUST work lark hours. Seems like I'm finally waking up (physically) at the end of the work day! Vicious circle...
    Peace,
    Stormy