Gracepartaker and anyone re Wellbutrin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ll1816, Sep 4, 2006.

1. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hello all:

I'm been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg. in the a.m. for 7 days now. Yesterday (day 6), I noticed a big increase in energy (fatigue is my biggest challenge) and I felt happier. Well, that was yesterday.

Today I'm back to feeling blue and fatigued and was wondering if, first of all, good results can be seen as early as 6 days, and secondly, should I ask that the dosage be increased to 300mg. per day?

I also take 20mg. of Lexapro p.m. and 10mg. Cortef a.m. for adrenal exhaustion. I'm just so fatigued all the time and that in itself can cause anyone to be depressed. I was so happy yesterday and I feel such a let down today.

Any help is so very appreciated.

Hugs to all,
    Liz

2. ll1816

ll1816 Member

3. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

Hey, there. I have only limited experience with Wellbutrin. I don't know how helpful this is, but, since you weren't getting any response, I thought something would be better than nothing.

I had a bad experience with Wellbutrin- it made me really anxious and freaked out. But I did have that reaction within a few days, so I do know that it can have certain results really quickly.

I also tried Effexor with adrenalin? I think. Initially, it seemed to help, but overall it was detrimental. I find that, often, many drugs that are unhelpful long-term will have some initial effect. It sort of shakes up my system. Plus, I guess, there's the placebo effect of being hopeful and receiving treatment.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  4. ll1816

ll1816 Member

What a great user name...fits how I feel perfectly!

Thanks for the info on your reaction to Wellbutrin. What was your dosage?

I was on Effexor for a little while about a year ago and it made me so tired, so I took it at night. Coming off it was a nightmare. The doctor was surprised by the fatigued I experienced with the Effexor because it's supposedly suppose to have an insomnia effect and so I was told to take it in the morning. I felt like I was sedated!

Yes, I think many meds we take can shake up our systems and do have a positive effect, but that the inital benefit is short lived in some cases.

That was my experience with Provigil for wakefulness. I worked great for about a week, but then stopped working. So disappointing.

Thank you for relating your experiences. I do hope that maybe upping my dose might help, but I certainly don't want to feel anxious or agitated. I'm not feeling that now, but who knows what 300mg. would do. I did read the accompanying little, teeny, tiny insert that comes with the samples from the manufacturer and it states the dosage can be increased as soon as day 4! I'll keep you posted when I call my neuro this week.

Thanks again and hugs,
    Liz
  5. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

It's sounds like you are having a good response to Wellbutrin. I would call your Dr. and discuss all this. The Dr. can best help. It can be a balancing and trial and error thing. Hope this helps
  6. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Thank you so much for your input. I will call the doctor tomorrow and relay exactly what I felt yesterday and how I'm feeling today.

I appreciate your response.

Take care and hugs,
    Liz
  7. Denamay

Denamay New Member

About the Wellbutrin: it is early days yet.

You had quite a quick reaction to the drug. Chances are it will work better in a few weeks.

I take 300 mg. daily but it took some time to get the dose right.

I have been taking Wellbutrin for over five years and have for the most part done very well on it. Although there has been some ups and downs. All the best! Love Denamay
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I felt brighter and more energetic in only 2 days, though a bit blurry and high those first few. But the adjustment was 3 days. This is typical w/ me. I either react really bad really quick, or really good really quick.

Its also common to wobble when you are first coming out of depression. Sounds like Wellbutrin is a good fit, but you may waiver back and forth until it's fully did its work.

I "wobble" w/ light therapy, which is working much better than Wellbutrin ever did, since I have SAD, more light is just what I need, not another pill. I've been so slowly weaning off Wellbutrin (over a yr). the fatigue and other w/drawals, incl. increased pain are crushing and last for mths after a decrease. This may not be tyical though.

I must caution you, if you don't actually need an ad, I wouldn't take it. Are you severely depressed? If not, if you are looking for pain relief go w/ painkillers, if energy try natural adrenal glandulars, pantothenic acid, B complex, ginseng, stronger coffee something, anything other than ad's.

Jeanne
  9. RicksChic

RicksChic New Member

I took Wellbutrin 300MG for about 5 years, simply for the energy. I could tell a big difference if I went off (like trying a different anti-depressant.) So, I always went back, until about 6 months ago, when I started taking Cymbalta...my depression was getting worse, and the two could not be mixed at more that 150mg of the wellbutrin, so I opted not to take it, since it took the whole 300mg to improve my energy.

So, maybe ask the Doctor if 300mg is an option? And if not, give it a little more time. And, 6 days is not too early to experience an increase in energy or decrease in depression, but it can take several weeks to get the full effect.

Now, maybe you could help me with a question. How did you know you have adrenal exhaustion, and what is the cause? I myself have taken prednisone at different periods in my life when I HAD to have some energy, (like when I was taking care of my mother when she was dying of cancer). I tried several doctors to prescribe it for me routinely, and all refused because of the side effects, and said I didn't medically need it. I told them if it improved my quality of life, I didn't care.

Well, I hoped my answers helped.

(((Kim))))
  10. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Yes, I'm still in the early days. I was just so hopeful yesterday when I felt both awake and happy!

I'm glad it works well for you at 300mg. I'm hoping the same will hold true for me. My son takes it and it helps with his depression.

Thank you for your response and have a restful evening.

Hugs,
    Liz
  11. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Thanks for your post. Thanks for sharing your experience with Wellbutrin.

I am truly depressed. Is fatigue a result of the depression or the cause? Or is it the Fibro/CFS? I guess the answer could be "all of the above". I spend my weekends in bed.

I had a urine test run thru a company called Sanesco some time ago. They can actually measure your levels of many neurotransmitters, including seratonin, dopamine, GABA, nor-epi and epi to name a few. I was extemely low on everything but the nor-epi. I was high there, as my adrenals aren't functioning well and it's the cortisol produced by our adrenals that convert nor-epi to epi.

Anyway, I tried their natural amino acid products for about 6 months, but noticed only a small improvement, although my levels looked better on paper upon re-testing. They were just so expensive that I couldn't afford to continue taking them.

Thanks for the natural info for energy. I'm seeing a naturopath in about a week and will ask about those.

Thanks again for your help!

Hugs,
    Liz
  12. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Good to hear of your response to Wellbutrin. How's it going with the Cymbalta?

I'm going to call my neuro's office tomorrow and suggest that we try an rx for 150mg. x 60. Then I could try taking 2 150mg. in the a.m. and see how I do. If it seems too much, I could back off to 150mg. for awhile and try upping again later, once I've adjusted to the 150mg.

In regard to your question on the adrenal exhaustion, I'm fortunate to have a very open-minded neuro who sent me to a compounding pharmacist. She had test kits for hormones and also cortisol and DHEA. I took the kits home and they contained cotton swabs that I placed under my tongue for about 5 minutes. I had to do this 4 or 5 times on the same day (for the cortisol and DHEA levels). Then I mailed the kits along with a check to the lab. The lab sent the results to the compounding pharmacist and she sent them to my neuro. He diagnosed me with adrenal exhaustion/fatigue.

This kind of testing is quite accurate as it shows what is bio-available for your body to utilize. Cortisol testing via blood isn't a very accurate predictor, according to my doctor. I've had the testing done by a couple of different labs and the cortisol and DHEA results are always very low, especially in the morning. This is still after taking Cortef for a year.

Hope this helps and thank you for your input...very helpful!

Hugs,
    Liz
  13. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I think the Cortef might help with your fatigue. I take it in the mornings and it seems to help me make it through the day and sleep better at night. Dr. said three months is the longest she will let me take it though.

Effexor wiped me out. It was making me sleep way too much during the day. Switched to Cymbalta.

Linda
  14. ll1816

ll1816 Member

I've been taking 10mg. of Cortef for a year, but still very fatigued. What dosage do you take?

Effexor wiped me out too. How's it going with the Cymbalta?

God bless, and congratulations again on your new granddaughter. She's very precious!

Take care and hugs,
    Liz
  15. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

I don't remember what my dosage was; it was several years ago. Sorry.

You mentioned having the opposite reaction to a drug than what your doctor expected. That has become a very common thing for me. I was discussing this with a relative of mine with fibro, and she has the same problem. She said that her reactions came from being very sensitive to medications, and taking very small, sometimes pediatric, doses often gave her better results.

Sometimes when something helps for a very short time I wonder if the medication is revving my engine, using up what energy reserves I had left, without actually helping the underlying cause of my fatigue, leaving me exhausted. I am often worse off after these experiments. But it's still important to keep trying things and looking.

I really hope the Wellbutrin helps you feel better. It can be so hard to tell what's causing what, leaving us wondering how much we're upset because we're tired and how much we are tired from being upset. I have heard that it generally takes 2 weeks for an andtidepressant to reach it's full effect, so, if it's possible, you might want to hang in there before upping the dose. I always think it's better for us to take the least amount of medicine that is still helpful.

Wishing you good thoughts!