grains, legumes, and root vegetables

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Jun 7, 2003.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Pat Palmer made some comments about Action for MEs journal and expressed her disappointment about what it covered regarding info and advice for members. Likewise the information for young people which her daughter had been given.

This inspired me to look up the early editions produced when I was on the Council of Management when we believed all info that patients could use to help themselves should be published regardless of what the most of the medical and scientific professionals believed.

Well I have just rediscovered an article written by Dr David Freed MD, who was formerly a lecturer in Immunology at Manchester University. He treated many ME/CFS patients and part of that involved looking for allergies and toxins and their effects on the body. The article was published in the Autumn edition in 1992.

He used neutralisation and watched the progress of other doctors using enzyme-potentiated desensitisation to help with food allergies, but he observed that some apparent food reactions did not respond to these treatments.

These problematic foods were grains, legumes, and root vegetables.

He hypothesised that this was because the symptoms were due to biochemical toxins. That sourcing organic versions of these foods was not solving the problem either.

Meat, fish, and green leafy vegetables on the other hand were easy to neutralise against.

So for those of you who are on an Atkins diet, or who have already been avoiding grains, legumes, and root vegetables; this could be another reason as to why you are benefitting.

This will not be relevant to everyone but it is worth consideration since easing any toxic overload, or avoiding eating something that is injurous to our health, is an important part of what many of us are trying to do.

Cheers

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2003]
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I always thought it was the effect on blood sugar that made those things bad for us. I know I don't miss them at all, and when I have cheated even a bit, I bloat up all over again and wonder how I ever used to eat that stuff!
    Klutzo
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Thought you in particular might find this interesting.

Apparently well people are able to break these mild toxins down because their "livers detoxify them with a powerful group of enzymes, principal among which is cytochrome - P450 series. These enzymes have been shown to work less well in multi-sensitive patients."

He also states that "Natural environment toxins can damage brain, heart, nerves, thyroid, kidneys - and connective tissues, which have been comparatively ignored in ME research but which contain much relevant pathology."

Cheers

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2003]
  4. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I've realised for sometime now from reading postings here that I need to go low carb; if I do the Hay diet (mainly not mixing carbs and protiens) it reduces my bloating and wind considerably but it is so hard to keep up.

I really am going to have to make the effort. I guess I'll have to find a few simple low carb recipes that I can use, the main reason I resort to carbs is they seem more filling and are easy quick meals (toast is a frequent standby, or baked potatoes). I try to eat salad with protein for lunch at work but end up feeling really hungry by tea time and snack on the wrong foods. I'm a reluctant cook and have little time and energy after work to eat properly!

Pam