Grape seed extract, could this help you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Aug 4, 2003.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Grape seed extract has many beneficial actions which I feel are relevant to a lot of us. I have yet to try this myself but I felt the info on GSE showed potential therapeutically.

It was Plantscaper who jogged my memory. My brain fog was really bad when I last looked this up so I checked it out again and feel you should all know about it. There's lots of additional info in the www.

Benefits of grape seed extract include -

Strengthens and Repairs Connective Tissue
    Helps Patients With Multiple Sclerosis
    Helps Teeth and Gums
    Reduces Allergic Responses By Minimizing Histamine Production
    Enhanced Capillary Strength and Vascular Function
    Reduces Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Levels
    Helps Prevent Cancer
    Strengthens The Immune System
    Increases Peripheral Circulation, Improving Vision
    Reduction in Skin Aging and Loss of Elasticity

The Ultimate Anti-Oxidant!
    There are a large number of Anti-Oxidants that provide numerous health benefits (Co-Enzyme Q-10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, NAC), but Grape Seed Extract has several properties that make it the ideal choice as an anti-oxidant:
    1. It is one of the only anti-oxidants that crosses the blood/brain barrier to protect neural tissue.
    2. It is distributed to virtually every organ and tissue, and remains in the body for up to 72 hours.

3. It is bioavailable and immediately absorbed from the stomach into the bloodstream. It's water-soluble and extremely well-absorbed into your body, usually within minutes of consumption.

4. It conserves and regenerates Vitamin C and Vitamin E.

It's effects are said to cross the blood brain barrier so perhaps there's potential here for addressing the brain fog that's due to lack of oxygen and blood flow.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2003]
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

very good info.
    I'll jot this one down and look into it more as I've heard this mentioned by many.
    I think this is also a antiviral.??
    so a herx is possible.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

and astaxanthin (it’s what turns salmon, shrimp and flamingos a deep shade of pink) because they both cross the blood brain barrier. I was already taking sub lingual methyl B12.

My aim was to detox within the brain and so help with my cognitive issues. Unfortunately they did little for the latter but they were successful in an unexpected way. I had had a severe head pain for many years, it never went away, it just varied in its intensity. This combo got rid of that chronic pain, I can keep it at bay providing I continue taking the methyl B12; although the antioxidants helped to clear this chronic head pain, it seems they are no longer needed for this particular problem.

The only thing that brings these head pains back is severe herxing, I up my methyl B12 dose, but mostly I just need to wait for the herxing to stop.

Tansy[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  4. vickiw

vickiw Member

Tandy, Tansy,

I was confused about the anti-viral qualities as well. I looked it up and it is grapeFRUIT seed extract that is an anti-viral. From Mary Shomon's "Living Well with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia":

"Grapefruit Seed extract is an antimicrobial that can fight against a variety of viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites without killing beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract. It is considered safe for ongoing, long-term use and has no reported side effects or interactions, except the possibility of reaction in those who are allergic to citrus fruit."

I haven't tried it yet. I've started so many new supplements in the last few months that I think I need to slow down so I can keep track of what might be helping and what isn't helping. Otherwise this can get awfully expensive!

Vicki