Grapeseed extract question? Jaminhealth or someone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Mar 10, 2009.

1. I tried to find the thread here , did I read where grapeseed extract helps fluid retention in the feet? I am taking a diuretic but still my feet feel swollen. It happened before, I can barely get my shoes on but they are tight and I have bunions so OMG! anyone? Jaminhealth?
  2. thanks I got some but one also had calcium and vit c. Don't need extra of those. The only other one had citrus bioflavions? So I bought that one but which brand and where did u find yours. Is yours pure grapeseed?

The lady never heard it helped fluid retention and tried to talk me into something else, I said no let me try this first.
  3. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Be careful with this, it's seems to be a problem with CFS with our stress issues and adrenal issues. Many of us actually have low sodium, myself included, especially in the summer because of sweating. Also, if you try and eat well and don't eat a lot of processed foods (which are loaded with salt) you may have to supplement. I take a spoonful of good salt (real sea salt, Himalayan Salt, etc) a day with a glass of water. This is why I like coconut water, too, because it's a natural diuretic. If I'm low in sodium I get a headache and get extremely irritable and feel like I'm going to explode. I hurry and take salt and feel okay within 15 minutes.

Sodium has been demonized and so people avoid it but it's just another mineral we need. My doctor said a lot of people in general are low in sodium because they mistakenly avoid it. Like jaminhealth says, get levels checked first before supplementing with potassium or sodium or anything.

Here's an extract from an article entitled, Nutritional Considerations in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

"Sodium is an essential nutrient for fluid balance. The actual amount of sodium required per day is unknown, but the recommended amount for adults varies from a minimum of 200 milligrams to an upper limit of 3,000 milligrams; approximately the amount of sodium in 1ΕΎ teaspoon (7.6 grams) of salt .1,3 The mean daily intake of salt for Americans is around 10 grams per day; approximately 3 grams occurring naturally in foods, another 3 grams from processed foods and 4 grams added during meals.1, 2 Using one-fourth to one-half teaspoon of added salt per day is generally regarded as reasonable and safe. The highest sources of sodium in the diet are salt, animal protein, processed foods and chemically softened water. A diet chronically high in water and potassium, and low in animal protein, processed foods or added salt can potentially lead to sodium depletion. 1, 4

Symptoms of low blood sodium (hyponatremia) include extreme debilitating fatigue, aching skeletal muscles, abnormally high blood pH, chronic low blood pressure, orthostatic tachycardia, cardiac arrythmias and profuse sweating upon minimal exertion.1, 4 Hyponatremia in competitive sports is a growing concern, and in noncompetitive sports such as desert hiking, cases have skyrocketed in the last decade.6 Mild to moderate hyponatremia can often be corrected by simply increasing dietary sodium.6 More severe cases may require a restriction of water, and/or the administration of corticosteroids to support adrenal function."

"Adrenal hormones, "aldosterone" and "cortisone", regulate fluid balance and nutrient levels. Aldosterone controls blood sodium and potassium levels. If potassium levels become too high, aldosterone is secreted causing the kidneys to excrete more potassium and retain more sodium. Low sodium can also stimulate the secretion of aldosterone.1, 2, 3, 4 A diet chronically high in potassium or low in sodium can stress the adrenals.1 Excess potassium is also a natural diuretic and causes some loss of sodium. Foods highest in potassium include whole fruits and vegetables and their juices."