Grateful for CFS/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GeminiMoon, Nov 24, 2010.

1. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

You may think I'm crazy, but I am grateful to have CFS/FM. I became ill with CFS first in 1986 & have suffered from it ever since. I developed Fibromyalgia this year while dealing with the end of my father's life.

CFS has helped me in so many ways. It taught me how to take care of my body, mind, & spirit and live a better life than I had been. It wasn't easy, but I have learned to love myself. CFS forced me to do it; I don't know if I could have without it. I didn't think enough of myself to do it.

I would not have sought out therapy, massage, vitamins, homeopathics, yoga without it. The antidepressant's saved my life; lifting me out of a very dark fog of depression and grief.

There are so many people that have it so much worse than I do. They can't use natural remedies; they can't just pop a few aspirin for their aches and pains. Their diseases are so difficult that they have to rely on chemotherapy, open heart surgery, insulin for diabetes, physical therapy for injuries, dialysis, rehab for strokes, etc. the list goes on and on.
    Soldiers are injured and killed daily. The ones that do come back are missing limbs or have traumatic brain injuries. Children are born with birth defects. World diasters destroy lives.

I think I have it pretty good. So, on this Thanksgiving, I'm giving thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2010]
  2. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

for myself, I can never be grateful for a debiltating illness. I looked after myself very well before (7 years ago) and continue to do so, only in order that I get no worse )cancer or other. This is a bit "Pollyanny" isn't it?
  3. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I spent 49 days in the hospital at my son's side after he was nearly crushed to death by a drunk semi-driver. I was at his side through 22 surgeries and 3 solid years of physical therapy so he could begin to function again. He is permanently, partially disabled for the rest of his life. Not only will he never play a sport again, he will never tie his shoes again either. The suffering I saw in the ICU with my son and others was nearly unbearable.
    It was a pretty, profound wake-up call. What I have (cfs/fm) is a blink of an eye to these people who suffer more in one day than I do in a month. No delusions here; just cold hard reality.
  4. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Dear GeminiMoon,
    Your post was really refreshing and thought-provoking for me. Some days I curse this illness and hate it for 'wrecking my life.' I hate the limitations, the relapses, the weakness. But I have to admit that it has also brought me to the place I am today and for that place, I am deeply thankful. I have stopped pushing myself so hard, and learned to be more peaceful and contented. Dealing with this has made me much more compassionate for the suffering of others, and much more interested in a life that goes beyond superficial things. I now have the life I think I am meant to have, and maybe I wouldn't have got here otherwise. I delibrately undertook huge changes in my life to help with my own healing, and those things have ultimately been very positive. tamsyn
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

I am grateful I have a somewhat of a life and soooo many people do not. They really suffer and that is the worst thing in the world is suffering. I watch my Dad die of cancer for over 5 years.

I am really glad to be here and Thankful for being alive. Yes it could be so much worse!

But the pain can really get to me.

Wonderful Post puts alot in perspective.