Gratitude Is Healthy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is nothing new; we all know this instictively, but it is so easy to forget when we are hurting, sick, and worried. Sometimes reminders to be grateful for what we have help us to stop and get our minds in a more healthy state. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is based on recognizing when our thinking goes negative and making corrections as early as possible. Our newspaper had an article today in which research has shown that keeping our minds in a grateful mode is good for our physical and mental health.

The article pointed out that there is always something to be grateful for, even in tough times. I know that when I've been so sick, I have to go to bed, I thank God that I have a nice warm bed to snuggle up in to rest my ailing body. I am grateful that my recovery time is better than it was before some healing came my way. I'm grateful for the healing too.

I live in a beautiful place and every day, I thank God for the beauty which surrounds me. All I have to do is look out the window to see something beautiful.

I am grateful that I have a part time job and am able to do it. Sometimes, I come home so exhausted that I have to go to bed. Every day before I go to work, I pray for strength to make it through my shift and that I don't make any mistakes. After the workday is over, I give thanks that I made it through the day. We just lost a man at the store who was a grocer in the meat dept. He had a lame leg which he dragged painfully. I still don't know how he managed to stock the meat dept. When I was new at the store, this man was so kind to me and helped me find things. I will miss him horribly. Whenever I felt like my job is too difficult, I would think of Steve and he would inspire me. I am so thankful that I got to know him.

I love Thanksgiving and think it is a wonderful holiday. There are no gifts, just a time to be with family and give thanks. I won't be with family as I couldn't get flights to either Denver or Atlanta but I will be in CO next month, in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My daughter from Atlanta will be bringing my grandson to CO so our family can all be together then. Even my ex will spend some time with us. I am so thankful for the love which surrounds me and for my ability to return that love.

I am very thankful to all our wonderful members here. It is here that I receive inspiration, kindness, and support. It is also where I have learned of every treatment which has helped in my healing. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Our lives may not be perfect (whose is?) but we can find things we can be grateful for. Sometimes it's the littlest things which bring me the most joy. Sending thoughts and prayers to everyone for healing, love, and happiness.

Love, Mikie
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Your so right! Being Thankful is so important in our lives!,,,,i'm thankful for My Girls,,,,,a warm Home ,,,,enough to eat,,,,,My dad,,,My Brothers,,,,and everytime i just Know that the Man upstairs has helped me through another situation ,,,,,

When i go to visit my Dad in the Nursing Home it's so very humbleing to realaize that there are so many people Young and old who are permantley confined to their wheelchairs for the rest of their lives ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with much more sever illnesses than what i have!,,The ability to walk and to Drive also tops the list!,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,and i'm so Glad that you are goin to visit your Kids,,,,,,,,,,,,Love,,,,to all,,,,,,Sis
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Thanks, Mikie, for such a nice post. Like Terch, I keep a gratitude journal and this simple practice has made a remarkable difference in my life.

The responsibility of keeping a gratitude journal has led me to keep my eyes & heart open, throughout the day, in order to find things that cause me to feel grateful. Even during the darkest times or most unpleasant circumstances, my mind has been trained to seek out the good and this keeps my spirits high.

Keeping an attitude journal is the easiest way I know to adopt an 'attitude of gratitude' and I would highly recommend this practice.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. jole

jole Member

As always, Mikie, a great post. Just today my hubby asked me how my day was going, and I said that I was not going to complain about the way I feel anymore. He said he doesn't mind me telling him and I need to tell someone. But no more.

Whenever I feel terrible there's Someone who knows, and that's enough. From now on I plan to be more grateful for what I have and worry less about what I don't have. Although my time with the outside world is very limited (other than family), I can still watch the news and see the wonders of nature out the window, and hear my smallest grandbaby say "Hi Nana. See you soon" over the phone.

Our elderly neighbor lady moved to town with her hubby a few years back.....he died, and she is now not only deaf but nearly blind. I will take all the pain and fatigue over her life. It's true, we never have to look very far..........
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your wonderful replies. I'm glad to see so many who keep the gratitude journals. It is a great way to realize we do have things to feel grateful for.

As hard as it is to work when I'm not feeling very well, it often takes my mind off of how I'm feeling. When people ask, I tell them I feel fine. I'm hoping it's a self-fulfilled prophesy. I see people with all kinds of disabilities who are out there doing the best they can. Some of my customers have lost their jobs and are really hurting. Others are old and losing their faculties. I do my best to treat them well so that, at least, their trip to the store is a positive experience.

I have a new prayer now. Each day, I ask God to let me be of help to at least one other person. Yesterday, the person I had to help was myself. There is a cold going around and I was getting a sore throat. I rested and took care of myself so that I can go to work today. Deepak Chopra says that when we can't actually physically help others, we can pray for them or ask God to bless them. I think it's easy to forget that one of our needs is to feel as though we actually make a difference in the world. Just praying for someone else can make us feel better.

Thanks again for your wonderful ideas and attitudes.

Love, Mikie
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You've always been an inspiration to me on this board....and I'm so glad that you post more often now. What a great reminder in your post.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are so sweet and I appreciate your kind words.

I found I couldn't live without my internet hookup. Working at the library just wasn't working out. Their wi-fi isn't always working and I lost a long post in response to a medical topic on the other board. Also, using public wi-fi isn't secure. I like to bank and pay bills online. So, I decided to go back to me cable hookup. At least, I'm getting it for six months for $19.99 a month. What did we ever do before the internet?

Prayers going up for everyone to have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Love, Mikie
  8. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Mikie, I just loved reading your words of gratitude. I think all of us could learn to be a bit more gratitude especially from all the turmoil in our world.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as well. Being with family and having a delicious meal. So, many people are deprived of having such a simple thing as to sit around a table with everyone we love.

I'm also so grateful for my wonderful family. My mother, brother and all my aunts and uncles. If I ever need anything I can pick-up the phone and anyone would be ready to help.

This Thanksgiving will be very special to my family. Recently one of aunts may have lung cancer. I will pray the tests come out negative. I lost my father (her brother) to a rare tissue cancer 7 years ago and I miss him terribly. But out of this horrible tragedy my mother and I get along very well. We never -- ever got along until shortly after my father died. I was the person who helped her.

OK, I'm getting a little teary-eyed but I just want to thank all of you for being my loving extended family.
  9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Mikie's presence on the board

PS and lots of other things, too.
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

Such endorphins you hand out!!! Thank you sooo much.

I, too am grateful; some have told me I must not be very sick because I really don't complain very much...but you know, when I feel the pain, I immediately try to think of something else, and I don't feel it as much...for this I am very grateful.

That warm bed? When I snuggle in and pull the covers up tight on cold nights, I feel so blessed and so grateful for the dr. I have that made sure my sleep needs were addressed. I'm so grateful that when I lie down with my meds in me, I am assured that I will get the restorative sleep I need to make it through another day.

When, after all these years being sick, and my kids not really "seeing" it, I'm grateful that now, with MG, I have visible proof of how I'm, I'm even grateful that the MG makes my big blue eyes harder to spot, as my eyelids are falling down in front of them, LOL! They have been quite astonished at how I now look...but, for probably the first time, they can now see me as I really am...sick. Maybe they will even be grateful I'm still here with them?
    LOL, who knows.

It's ok...actually, it's all ok, isn't it? We who have been so sick for so long have learned that it does us no good at all to be crazy, angry, resentful, full-of-grief, etc., for very long. When we see the types of people you mention, who have such terrible burdens to bear, those of us who have the experience of long-term, severe chronic pain and sickness, and have had it for a long time and have learned to cope, well, we cannot help but feel grateful that we have learned to cope.

May all of us be thankful for today and not worry about tomorrow except to wonder what new thing we can find to feel grateful about...

Thanks, are well loved.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Your posts were so touching and compelling. Thank you all so much for sharing and your kindness. I'm sure that even those who have read all the sweet responses here but not replied have been lifted by all the people who have shared on the topic of gratitude.

One thing which has touched me at work is the wonderful people who have bought our prepackaged bags of groceries for the local food bank. Many tell me about the food drives at work, church, and in their communities to ensure that the needy have enough to eat during these hard times. Money is scarce and there is more need than ever but those who can help are really digging in.

Love, Mikie