Great book for Fibromyalgia (Edited)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joc_07, Feb 28, 2006.

1. joc_07

joc_07 New Member

The Book is "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain: "A Survival Manual, 2nd Edition"" Author: D.Starlanyl.
    I highly recommend it. This book is everything that a Doctor should be. It also talks about Myofascial pain and that's something you don't hear about often. This book is a must read for Fibro sufferers. She also explains too that it's not an auto-immune disease.

Does anybody have any other great books for Fibromyalgia that you recommend?

Thanks,
    Jocelyn
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2006]
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I love that book!
    It helped me diagnos myself, I was in the library looking through all kinds of books trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I saw the cover and all the trigger points on the body and new that was me!
    I was so happy I cried, finally something that explained my weird symptoms.:)
    They also have a book that show how to work on your own body to help with those trigger points. I have my husband do a few.
    They also have the companion book, The FM Advocate with more great advice for doctor's as well.
    Anyway as you can tell, I like this book too.:)
    Claudia
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I recommend them. She has FMS and is a believer in the Guai treatment.

Love, Mikie
  4. joc_07

joc_07 New Member

5. juliejo

juliejo New Member

I bought this book 2 year's ago now and it is the best detailed explaination of any Fm book.
    I too cried when i read it as it was just like reading about myself on every page.
    Even now i still get it out to read.
    The diagram's of all the trigger point's throughout the body explain in very clear pictures how the pain affect's us all.

A must have book and a great read.
    Juliejo.
  6. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

I have had the book for three years. I even bought one for my sister (she has fibro also)...
    So helpful. I look back at often!!!

Melinda
  7. heavenlyanimals

heavenlyanimals New Member

please tell me where you can buy this book? thanks collette
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

book too. My dr. has the book in her office for reference.

I bought mine at a local bookstore called Hastings.
  9. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

My chiro loaned me his copy right after i was dx. I cried through every page, as i had never read anything that so spoke to my truth in such detail!!! All the things i've been trying to say and communicate for years... i couldn't have said it any better no matter how hard i tried!

Plus it's packed with all kinds of useful info. that we can actually use.... My personal fav. being the "Tennis Ball Acupressure". Be sure to start this slow like they warn!! On the bed or couch!!!

Another good thing about this book is that it's not by anyone trying to sell you anything or push any product!! Its just an M.D. & a long term fighter like the rest of us, just sharing the information. It really goes into detail over the difference between FMS & MPS, which so many of us seem to struggle with as well.

I've since bought my own copy, so i could mark and write in it... plus let my husband read. I carry it with me to all my DR's APT's, and they too recognize this book as the "FM Bible" if you will. It does not disappoint... and i refer to it all the time!

TM
  10. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I have read several others...but Devin is the only one who hits it on the head in every aspect. Any doctor , IMHO, who treats fibro patients should own this book...or at least know all about it. If they don't, I am not sure they could be any good at treating us! Not only are her books an accurate portrayal of my symptoms, but she also addresses things like how your symptoms may affect what any medical professional you deal with. I loved that part!

So..in my opinion it is the first FMS book someone should read after DX.

11. joc_07

joc_07 New Member

Hi Collete, I bought mine at Chapters. But I can see your in the States. You could probably try Amazon.com. Or even ask your local bookstore to order it for you if they don't have it in stock.

Jocelyn
  12. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

What a coincident!! I was about to post this book again, as awhile back I had referred it to others. This is the "Bible" for FM. Thanks for bringing it up. When I 1st was DX. I bought thier 1st edition and I swear by it, and just bought the new addition last year. Great Book!

PIRT
  13. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Fibromyalgia for Dummies is a great book as well. It's easy to read and gives great detail of Fibro for sufferers and family members.

Lindy :O)
  14. joc_07

joc_07 New Member