Great cookware, since I'm on my soapbox today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hugs4evry1, Jul 6, 2006.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Since I've been posting so much today on the different things I've tried that have helped me to feel so much better, I wanted to post on one more.

I got rid of my non-stick coated cookware and recently purchased a great set of copper bottom pans. Mostly stainless steel.

I remember as a kid before the non-stick came out that it was really hard to clean the old type of pans.

Not any more!! These clean up as easy as any of the non-stick coated type of pans. And I have messed up already and do KNOW this!

I got mine on sale at Macy's for a really good price and noticed while researching that it seems to be something that will be "big" again in the future. (The prices of some are outrageous!!)

Non-stick coated pans kill birds in the home if they heat up without anything in it, or if you over heat and the liquid evaporates out. That can't possibly be good for us to cook all of our meals in.

I didn't really have the money for these but considered all the steps I've taken for my health lately to make it worth the price. I'm worth the price as is my family.

I'm having a blast cooking again, knowing that my pans aren't going to kill anything!!

Hugs to all,

Nancy B.
  2. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

I don't recall her ever having a sticking problem with them even tho the set is ancient.
    Of course she didn't do alot of cooking either so......LOL
    She also had cast iron cookware which she used the most.

I too have had cast iron cookware forever. Other than getting too heavy to lift when I am too tired or hurting, I love it.
    I also have a set of Visions cookware from years ago which I am still happy with.

Glad you have found new friends for your kitchen!!

Pammy
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My hubby has been wanting to get all stainless steel, as he wants to get away from some of my nice heavy aluminum pans. I am resistant to change, as I love my old pans. But I'm getting a new gas cooktop, so maybe new pans will be in my future...
    p.s. How's your daughter? Terri
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

First of all, I'm loving my new pans and it makes me want to cook more too, big bonus. I was hesitant for years about replacing the non-stick but I'm so glad I made the jump.

As for my daughter? That could take pages and pages...so I've been pretty quiet about it.

She's functioning I guess you could say, but it's very difficult to be her. She's really not well and I'm finally looking at it in a way that allows me to see things more clearly.

She's not well, she's not going to be well, she's not going to be able to handle college like "normal" kids. She's not handling anything like a normal kid because she simply isn't a normal kid.

She's at least medicated.....wow, that's about all I can say right now. And she's started working back at Subway like she did before she left. Honestly, I think that's all the stress she can handle.

Thanks so much for asking...

Hugs,

Nancy B.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

brooksiemom:

I inherited my grandmom's pots/pans/all kitchen appliances.
    She had all stainless steal and it is wonderful to work with, but thanks for the tip for the cooper bottoms. I did not know they worked that well. I might try one.

Thanks,

nyrofan
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Nancy, thanks for the tip. I've still been using the non-stick pans because all the rest are too heavy for me. I have some old Revere Ware pans but I also have a glass cooktop and they don't work well if they're not absolutely flat which the old ones aren't.

Bon appetite!

Marta
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

I have copper bottom stainless steel pots and love them. They do seem to cook better when I keep the copper shiny and clean, and they are pretty easy to clean up.

I like cast iron, but it's just too heavy for me now, unfortunately.

I need to get a new, big skillet, as most of my cookware is in storage until we move again in the fall, and the one we have at the moment is just awful. I've thought of nonstick because my spouse likes it, but have reservations about it.

Isn't nonstick safe if you are careful not to overheat it? We have a small nonstick pan that is so easy to use...

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

I forgot I had a set of the Tramontina(sp?)too.
    Yes..it is great. Has the lids with holes for draining,right?
    Johns folks were here to visit shortly after we got the set and his mom loved it.
    We went out and picked up a set for them before they went back to Maine.
    2 yrs. later she is still talking about how much she likes it. She has arthritis so loves how lightweight it is.

My kitchen has been torn up for almost a year now...no stove or sink.
    Most of my kitchen stuff is in the basement in boxes etc..
    It will be like having all new kitchenware when I can finally use it all again. LOL

A couple of electric cookware pieces and the bbq grill have kept us going.
  9. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

i don't have the steamer but will have to check it out when the kitchen is done.
    pammy
  10. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Terri, I also have the cast aluminum cookware. I bought it 35 years ago when I was first married. Also have a set of stainless steel pans that used to me my mother's; I've been using the ss ones most of the time now -- that is, when I actually do cook. Ü

I'm in a state of complete fibro-fog right now (bad night); I recall hearing that aluminum cookware can be harmful, but at the moment I can't recall all the details (memory loss perhaps?) -- could one of you nice people fill me in with the details?

mar

11. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I know I read this here but can't find it. What is the best cookware for the glass top stoves? I just got one and nope, didn't read the book about the cookware; just using what I have.

Do I need to purchase a certain kind of cookware?

Also, what kind of "good" kitchen chef knife would anyone recommend?

New things do make cooking more fun/interesting. Besides, I enjoy watching the cooking shows.

BlueSky555
  12. Alary

Alary Member

Have you ever heard of Cutco? I bought some Cutco products (knives, ice cream scooper, sandwich spreader) at different times from sons of friends selling while they were in college, otherwise might not have splurged. Anyway, I love them, great quality, have lasted years and years. You can send them back to the manufacturer for sharpening and they come back like new. They are sold online, also. Look for a special where you get one free if you buy other items.
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Bluesky, I'm not sure about which cookware is best...but I guess I do have a glass top stove. Just never thought of it that way. (Boy it's been a rough year!!!!)

I'd check my paperwork but it's in German too.

Since we're talking about cookware etc....QVC has great prices on large sets of stainless steel silverware. For around $100.00 you can get a set for 12 with all the special pieces that make serving fun.

How I wish I had a brain today....Thanks to whoever posted the information on the non-stick substances. Something tells me the governments know how bad this stuff is but if they come out and say something, they'll have to explain allowing it for the last 25 years!!

Hugs,

Nancy B.