Great Independent Film

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Feb 15, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My daughter came home from college and told me, "Mom, you have to rent this movie." The title of the movie is "Once" and it takes place in Ireland about a young, poor Irish musician struggling to get his music heard. He befriends a young Czeck woman and they collaborate. It's based on their experience actually and the music is amazing. I bought the soundtrack for my car. Their song, "Falling Slowly" has been nominated for an Oscar this year for best song from a movie. This movie is not very long, not even 90 minutes which always works for me.
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Movie recommendation! Sounds really Good! Have you and your Daughter seen "August Rush"? It's a great one!,,,,along this same story line!,,,,,,Sis
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've seen this advertised over here (UK) and will be getting it out when it comes on DVD - it's supposed to be one of the best films of last year.

In fact I'm off to Amazon to put my name down for rental when it comes out.

Thanks for reminding me.

ha ha just went and I already have it on my list.

Another one is The Kite Runner - I read the book and my daughter has seen the film - she said it was brilliant, the book was excellent.

[This Message was Edited on 02/16/2008]
  4. Callum

Callum New Member

I didn't have much hope for it, but it was so - simple, and lovely. As was the music.
  5. Doober

Doober New Member

keep an eye out for this.

I have been enjoying a lot more independant films lately.

Most independant movies I have see do not revvolve around the glitzy crashes, blasts and smashes.

They tend to focus on characters and the story a lot better than the major film players and movie stars.

A lot of "stars" are starting to make independant films, not for the money, but for the challenge of the character for which they will play.