Great News!!! I see light at the end of the tunnel...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bubblegum, Jun 28, 2003.

1. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Hello to all,
    It has been quite some time since I have posted. For those who don't know my story, I have FM, CMP, TOS, and the list goes on. The pain and fatigue have been slowly robbing me of my will to live. Just when I was ready to give up my luck changed, and I want to share my good news with you.
    I applied for section 8 housing assistance in march, they told me there was a 2 year waiting period for assistance. Well somehow my name came up to the top of the list and I was called in for an eligibility screening. On Friday I went to an orientation and I was told that I would recieve my voucher next wednsday. The best part is that since my current landlord is willing to accept a voucher we get to stay in our 3 bedroom house. I am still not sure on the numbers but they did say that my share is no more than 30 or 40 percent of my monthly income which is only the 650.00 I recieve in childsupport. So I guess that I will only have to pay around 250 mo. rent and the rest I can use for the utilities. This is so great cause I am so tired of borrowing from peter to pay paul.
    When I got home Friday afternoon from the orientation , in the mail was a letter from the Beaumont Foundation. In March I submitted an application for a free laptop computer. When I opened the letter it said congratulations you have been chosen to recieve a brand new Toshiba laptop and printer. My application was one of over 40,000 sent in. I still can't believe how my luck has changed. my prayers have been heard!!! It pays to check with your local housing authority about assistance. HUD is giving vouchers to people in their current rentals if the landlord will take sec. 8.
    If any of you want to apply for a grant, here is some info.

Overview of Grant Process
    The Beaumont Foundation of America grants Toshiba branded equipment to support digital inclusion for underserved individuals. The Foundation will grant $350 million in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The Foundation has three distinct grant programs:
    Community Grants of technology equipment to community-based organizations.

Education Grants of technology equipment for schools.

Individual Grants of technology equipment directly to individuals.

In 2003, the Foundation will award grants in 21 states and the District of Columbia (Group A), and in 2004, in the remaining 29 states (Group B). Additional grants will be available in subsequent years.

The 2004 application process is coming up and for those of you in the remaining 29 states I think you should look in to it. It paid off for me.
    keep the faith,
    Ciao 4 Now
    Sandy
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am so very happy to hear all of your good news, this is just wonderful for you.

Thanks for sharing all this information, I know there are lots of others here that may not know there is help out there for them.

Hopefully you will get some additional benefits along with the help with the rent too. It is wonderful that you don't have all the stress of moving, that is also such a blessing.

Take care, and again I am so happy to hear your great news.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To this same post on the Chit Chat Forum.

Love, Mikie
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm sooooo happy for you!!! I know how tough it is on a fixed income~ That should help out alot!! Years ago I was on the housing program and loved it!! I think I only paid $175 for rent of a 3 bedroon apartment!!! I just hated the annual inspections.....where they come in each yr and nose thru your place looking for possible updates or repairs that the landlord has to fix~ but all in all it sure helped me and my children at the time. Glad your luck has changed for the better!!
    Hugs,
    Tracey
  5. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Thank you so much. I feel so blessed to have you and everyone else helping me to keep the faith. As I mentioned it has been a while since I posted but I do come here daily to read and absorb all the useful information that is shared between members on the boards. Many times when I have felt so low, but in too much pain to type, I have read a post that hits home and pulls me out of the sand. Thanks again to everyone.
  6. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

This is all new to me. I have been on my own since I was 17 and I have always been selfsupportive. It was really hard for me to drop my pride and ask for assistance. They mentioned the annual inspections. I am hoping they give me enough notice just in case I need some help cleaning up before they get there. I never used to worry about people just dropping in because my house was always spotless. But those days are long gone. Thanks again.
    Sandy
  7. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I didn't know if this post was ok to put on this board so I figured I would put it on both. Just in case I had to remove it from this one. Thanks for all your hard work and time you give us on these boards. And that goes for Shirl too.
    ciao
    Sandy
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Happy tears came to my eyes when I read your post!! I am so glad for you!! I know this doesn't make everything perfect, but goes a long way to easing some stress---how great that you will not have to move yourself & your kids. Thanks for sharing the info about the Beaumont grant, too---maybe others here can learn from your experience (a real case of: it pays to apply even if the odds seem steep).

Congratulations, thanks for letting us know your good news!

Hugs,
    Pam