Great pain med for Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by applecrisp, Mar 1, 2007.

1. applecrisp

applecrisp New Member

My doctor put me on a pain med called Gabapentin 100mg twice a day. This is a miracle drug!! It took about 3 days to notice the effect but I am living with no pain, or a little pain now. Sometimes I can feel my legs being very stiff (like swollen) but there is no pain with it.

My 6 year old is bragging to everyone that Mom has been happy. All day!! With little pain my anxiety is hardly there now.

I don't know if you would have the same results but it is promising. It is used for people with chronic pain like cancer patients etc..
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Brand Name: Neurontin

Generic Name: Gabapentin

Gabapentin relieves the pain of PHN by changing the way the body senses pain.

Gabapentin is used to help control certain types of seizures in patients who have epilepsy. Gabapentin is also used to relieve the pain of postherpetic neuralgia (PHN; the burning, stabbing pain or aches that may last for months or years after an attack of shingles). Gabapentin is in a class of medications called anticonvulsants. Gabapentin treats seizures by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain. Gabapentin relieves the pain of PHN by changing the way the body senses pain.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

applecrisp:

I am so happy you found a medicine that works very well for you.

That is so difficult to do.

I used this medicine, but had no luck with it.

Good luck and I hope you continue to feel better.

nyrofan
  4. debhun

debhun New Member

I tryed it with no luck. I am glad it is working for you.
  5. cindy2

cindy2 New Member

I also tried it, no such luck for me. Didn't help at all. Give me shakes.

Glad to hear it works for you applecrisp.
  6. jmq

jmq New Member

I tried it for about two months...but could not function at work on it. It felt great...like a high and I giggled alot..but the pain was still there..and i could not drive. So now I am on Cymbalta, Tramadol, and Ambien. It allows me to function on most days.

jmq
  7. applecrisp

applecrisp New Member

Its too bad this doesnt help a lot of you. The tramacet really did nothing for me. Yeah the small dose is working but I am very sensitive to meds. The anti-psychotic I take is a very small dose as well.

My friends 4 year old has Raynouds and is in a lot of pain and takes this med as well. It helps her too.

However for those of you that have not had luck with other meds, and havnt tried this Gabapentin...couldnt hurt to try.

8. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Hi
    I was on a very high dose of 4200 mg of gabapentin per day 7X600mg tablets I was still in pain, although I will admit that the burning pain was mostly gone but not completely so now my doctor has reduced me over a 3 week period down to 3000 mg per day and adding 25 mg topamox and is going to have me try to get down to at least 2700mg and increase the topamax to 100mg/per day, I am hoping that will work and I wish you good luck with your dosage, everyone is different.
    Hugs
    Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  9. lookingoutthewindow

lookingoutthewindow New Member

I tried it for about a year and was up to 800 mg 2X a day. I made me lethargic and I gained 15 pounds. That was too much for a 5ft tall person. I went to a massage therapist that had great success with it. Good Luck, I hope it works for you!
  10. I am glad its working for you, I took it for a few yrs, 1200 mg. It helped somewhat, then my dr. wanted me off it and to try lyrica. I will admit lyrica helps so much better, But is harder to get used to the side effects for me, more powerful. I had no side effects with neurontin.
  11. mapleleaf

mapleleaf New Member

About three months ago, I was put on 300 mgs. of Neurontin, at the same time, I was given a prednisone pulse. I was relatively pain free and felt great for a while. They gave it to me to control migraines and dail headaches. Now the migraines have started again. They want me to increase the dosage to 600mg. My fear is I'm going to keep requiring a higher dosage. It was the first medicine I was able to tolerate. Topamax and Cymbalta and all other antidepressants I did not tolerate, my heart always felt like it was racing.