Great posters for ME Awareness Week in UK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by outofstep, May 3, 2009.

1. outofstep

outofstep Member
  2. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I gave up on posters long ago.

I think we just had our "Awareness Week" with the comments made at the recent CDC meeting!

3. outofstep

outofstep Member

I agree that the public meeting did spread some awareness, at least to the CDC! There's another one in May-let's do it again!

This poster thing is a really neat grassroots idea-it's a public awareness campaign, and the thinking behind it is that they make it available to everyone to print off on their computers and then people go around and put them up. It wouldn't really work as well for the US since ME isn't commonly used yet-but it would be great if we had something similar.

If you want the backstory it's at
  4. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Yes, it's a grassroots idea that began way back in the early 90s; I have distributed hundreds, if not thousands of them, to grocery stores, convenience stores, libraries, doctor's offices (where they usually take them down or off the tables), etc.

They haven't done anything to raise awareness yet, because the CDC and the media have too often portrayed CFS as a psychological or "stress-induced" illness, again thanks to the CDC.

It is a waste of my time and energy. Only our chartered CFS/ME group has any real power, and they have been ignorant wimps at every single meeting...purposely.

5. outofstep

outofstep Member

That's interesting that you've distributed maybe thousands of them and I've never seen them-I guess that we don't live in the same area.

Did you speak at the public meeting, or listen in? I think that it was an excellent example of what grassroots advocacy can accomplish. The way that I see it is that it could be the start of a movement for change in CFS policy in the US, and an effective grassroots public awareness campaign could play a role in that.

I think that the UK posters are very cool and do a good job of communicating the symptoms of CFS in way that the general public can understand. That's fine if you don't think that they're effective, etc., but other people may be interested in activism and pursuing these kinds of ideas now.