Great Qigong class today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeful4, Jan 2, 2005.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Today I went to a qigong class. I've been in an energy slump for months, and have not been exercizing the last couple of months. (When I'm able to I go walking and do yoga.) Wow! The class felt great! It was gentle, but had enough breath and movement to release pent-up muscles and joints. When I left, I wasn't all tired out, I was energized! Also, the class was fun, and fun is something I haven't been having much of lately.

I highly recommend it. (First, find out whether the style being taught sounds like something you can manage.) I'm looking forward to the next class.

Have a great day.
    Hopeful4
  2. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

My daughter has been taking private Qigong classes. SHe is taught exercises for home and has a private energy healing session. I htink thiis has helped her immune system, energy and the insomnia problems she was having.

My daughter enjoys these classes a great deal. She always looks forward to going. Something that has helped her illness and is fun for her to do.
  3. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to try it out. I have read that it is very good for us with CFS.

I have done yoga for years. I have one teacher whose class I love. But sometimes that is even too much for me.

Love, Laurie
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

has just taught me how to carry out one specific qi gong movement.

On the y-dan thread I wrote about problems with the movements that require outstretched arms and hands. My PT has adpated some of his recommendations but even so the increased pain remains.

Today I told my acupuncturist about the y-dan, I know he used tai chi himself. He knows about my neck, joint and muscle issues and that problems with my arms have a greater impact on my life than my limited mobility does.

Well he might call this movement gentle but it left my arms feeing very weak and achey, maybe I just did not get it right. He did not recommend the basic programme but showed me what he will teach me next.

In order to demonstrate what qi gong can do he got me to feel his arm muscles when he clenched his fist. His muscles felt as though he worked out in a gym, but all he does these days is qi gong, he says it's all he needs. His other comment was when we get it right we will know because the global benefits are so incredible, energy with a sense of calm.

So now I am doing a bit of y-dan and one qi gong movement.

love, Tansy
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Tansy,
    I’m concerned about you! I don’t believe that you should feel “very weak and achey” after doing your qigong. It should not hurt you or make you worse. Just like with yoga, a qigong practitioner should not do anything that hurts, especially someone with the condition you describe that your neck, arms, joints and muscles are in. I do understand that using parts of our body that are in need of exercise might initially have the effect of starting to re-use them again, like gentle stretching might feel achey but in a good way. That’s what I’m concerned about for you: is the weak and achey a good kind?

Just as there are many styles of yoga with some of them better for us than others, I’m starting to see that the same goes for styles of qigong, which there are many, and I’m just a newbie at it. My instructor is very good about adapting the qigong to people’s needs and limitations, and has taught us not to strain. Several of the students have back problems or have had back surgeries, so he’s very sensitive to their needs.

I have heard that people can build muscles with qigong in the way your acupuncturist is describing. And I do agree with the description of “energy with a sense of calm,” however for me and others in my class, I think we got that immediately. The “no pain, no gain” philosophy is out!

I read about your experience with Y-Dan on that thread, and I just received my DVD! There are some similarities on it to the qigong class I take, but they seem like two very different styles. Most notably for me is that the Y-Dan looks very jumpy and shaky to me, like staccato. The practice I’ve been doing is called the Water Tradition of qigong. Just like it’s name, it is very flowing and smooth most of the time, and evokes images of clouds rolling by, or water moving.

I hope that the Y-Dan and qigong will help you to feel much better! Please let me know how it goes.

Best wishes always,
    Hugs, too,
    Hopeful4
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

I really appreciate it.

My acupuncturist is technically very good, he is the one other acupuncturists go to for their treatments, but he is very rigid in his thinking. Yes this happens with alternative practioners too.

I asked him to help me perform the movement, he knows the extent of my disability so should have accepted I usually need someone to help guide new movements until my brain and neurons finally get it. Instead he insisted I just watch him. He also knows my neuropathy means I tend to contract, extend, or relax all my muscles together, this is due in part to lack of sensory feedback from the muscles.

So I was a bit miffed at him then, later on I felt even more so because I had not expected any payback. It eased down eventually, but I cannot risk having my arms become even weaker than they are on a daily basis. I will try it just once more but only prior to retiring for the night when the increased weakness won’t matter, if the same happens I will have to think about whether this is part of the healing process or wrong for me.

You are so right about different styles of yoga, tai chi etc. Many PTs are now telling their patients some yoga is unsuitable for back problems, I learned this the hard way, then later read about it on an excellent yoga web site.

I avoid the more shakey movements in y-dan and others that are still beyond me. I have decided to do a few y-dan movements on a daily basis, and some of the others every two or three days. It was improved muscle symptoms after a virus had stopped me doing much for a few days, then my PT noticing the marked difference, that made me realise my muscles need more recovery time. The accumulative effects of doing y-dan confirmed it.

Since I am stronger generally and have been able to increase my day to day levels of physical and mental activity, I thought my muscles were ready for more too. Talk about learning the hard way!

Love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 10/02/2005]
  7. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Tansy,
    I know what you mean about thinking that you are better enough to do something, and then pay later. How many times have I done that myself? In fact, I have to admit that I went to my qigong class after being totally unable to for 3 months, and thought I could pick up where I left off...wrong! I paid big-time the next day.

I trust that you will listen to yourself, with respect to what and how the acupuncturist teaches you qigong, and whether or not that's right for you. You're also making a lot of sense regarding the choices of Y-Dan exercises that you will or will not be able to do.

Sometimes I think part of the learning from this illness is just that, to really listen to ourselves, and then make our actions congruent with what we know.

Love ya back,
    Hopeful4
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

I wanted to thank you for your thoughts and opinions on this. To my acupuncturist's dismay I stopped the movement he gave me. Though a good technician he could not accept that it was making matters worse in the same way the movements involved in bicycling do. He seemed unable to take on board the reason I stopped it. I understand the ramifications my neurological and muscle problems better than he, I have lived with them a long time.

I realised the benefits the very gentle movements the PT taught me, to retrain the peripheral nerve pathways in my arms, were being negated by the qigong. Just goes to show how important it is to listen to our bodies.

As for the Y-Dan, I have not gone onto the other movements because I am not physically ready to do so, but have found other tai chi stretches that I added to y-dan, together they continue to help strengthen some of my muscles.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  9. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Tansy,

It does sound like you know yourself best, and are listening to yourself and having better results because of doing so.

Well, things have really changed for me since I wrote the first post in January. I started treatment in May for candida with diflucan for 3 difficult months, and haven't been the same since. Lost a lot of strength (not that I had a whole lot to begin with!) and have not rebounded. Have barely been able to exercise, even too tired to walk some days.

So, your post got me thinking about my first qigong experience which was a couple of years ago. I bought a book and tape called "101 Miracles of Natural Healing" by Luke Chan. It talks about the largest medicineless hospital in China, and many people's miraculous stories.

He says that there is a technique that anyone can use, even if bedridden, called La Chi. Even if someone cannot move, they can visualize doing it:

"Put your hands close to each other so that fingers and palms almost touch each other. Relaxing your shoulders and hands, slowly open your hands to the sides. Then close your hands until the palms and fingers almost touch.

Repeat these opening and closing movements many times. Very soon you will feel some sensations between your hands. These sensations are caused by chi gathering from the universe. Then deliver this chi into where it is needed in your body. For instance if you have a headache, deliver chi into your head by doing the opening and closing movements near your head.

When doing the opening movement, imagine that your illness disappears into infinity; when doing the closing movement, imagine that you are delivering life energy into where it is needed. Meanwhile, suggest to yourself that chi is healing you and that you have recovered."

Hope this offers you yet another alternative.
    Best wishes,
    Hopeful4