Green Tea and fluoride

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ggks, Nov 1, 2002.

1. ggks

ggks New Member

This is the first time I have read that decaf. green tea has fluoride. I've tried to find out about this by searching but I guess I'm not putting in the right question. I love green tea. I prefer mine Iced. I drink it at work all the time. I really hope this in not true.
  2. ggks

ggks New Member

This is the first time I have read that decaf. green tea has fluoride. I've tried to find out about this by searching but I guess I'm not putting in the right question. I love green tea. I prefer mine Iced. I drink it at work all the time. I really hope this in not true.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I drink green tea twice daily for it's antioxidents and it's supposed effect on helping weight loss. I have not felt any worse since doing this, but I sure don't like fluoride and try to avoid it, so if there is any big risk, I'd like to see the proof too!
    Klutzo
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Here's some good stuff about green tea. Now I'll go look for some bad stuff.

Green Tea Ingredient Fights Cancer

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- A powerful antioxidant ingredient in green tea kills human cancer cells in laboratory experiments, according to a report in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute for December 17.

Tests of the ingredient, called epigallocatechin-3-gallate, showed it killed cancer cells in samples of skin, lymph system, and prostate tissue taken from both humans and mice while leaving healthy cells unharmed, report researchers from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

Exactly how the tea ingredient works against cancer remains unclear, says Dr. Hasan Mukhtar, senior study author and professor of dermatology at the university. But he notes that the compound leads to the programmed cell death, or apoptosis, of cancer cells.

"It seems that somehow, through a cell-cell signaling pathway, it is communicated to the cancer cells that they better commit suicide or they'll be murdered," the researcher says. "So cells make a decision and undergo apoptosis. And we don't know the signaling pathway."

Mukhtar says evidence of apoptosis showed up as "very distinct, clear-cut features in the shape of the cells" and in the breakdown of their molecular structure. At the highest dose of the green tea ingredient, nearly all cells were found to be in the latest stages of
    apoptosis.

The researcher says the new findings add to previous test-tube studies showing that the tea ingredient prevented tumors in animal tissue. Dietary studies of tea consumption in people also suggest that green tea has some cancer preventive properties.

"Some nutritional epidemiology studies have suggested that green tea
    consumption might be effective in the prevention of certain human cancers -- cancers of the bladder, prostate, esophagus, and stomach," he says. "For example, one hospital in Shanghai reported that the recurrence of esophageal cancer was low in that part of the population that was drinking green tea."

Mukhtar and his colleagues point out that green tea accounts for about 20% of global tea consumption, with black tea making up most of the rest. "Tea consumption in the world is very high and ranks second to water consumption," they state.

The researcher notes that a cup of green tea contains between 100 and 200 milligrams of the anti-tumor ingredient. Does he advocate drinking green tea for cancer prevention? "Yes," he says. "Based on our studies and others, it seems consumption of four cups of green tea per day should be sufficient," he says.

The researchers say study findings also warrant clinical trials on the green tea ingredient in people at high risk for cancer.

[SOURCE: Journal of the National Cancer Institute
    (1997;89(24):1881-1886)]
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Is Green Tea Dangerous to the Thyroid

March, 2001 by Mary J. Shomon

In response to my article on green tea as a weight loss aid, some readers expressed concerns regarding the high fluoride content in tea, and the negative relationship between ingestion of too much fluoride and thyroid problems, as well as other health concerns.

This is definitely something to be considered before deciding to take green tea.

While green tea has some definite benefits in the cancer-prevention and metabolism-boosting arena, the fluoride content may, according to some practitioners, be a concern for the public in general, but specifically for thyroid
    patients.
    315-379-9200, or ggvideo@northnet.org, Fluoride Action Network
  6. motg

motg New Member

Hi I do have a thyrod problem mine is low. But my Dr. said that is was ok to drink green tea I seam to have less colds and more energy when I drink it.
    Barb
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I drink black tea, don't like green tea. Does this go for black tea also? If so , I am in deep, deep trouble!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I drink Bigelow's Constant Comment decaf tea and their decaf green tea. Both are made with orange rind and spices and are delicious. I sometimes add some cream, a little stevia and some cinnamon for chai. This is a delicious drink often served in health food restaurants. By using the Constant Comment tea, all the spices are already in the drink, except that cinnamon is very, very good for Syndrome X, so I add it to everything in great quantities. BTW, celery is an excellent anti-X thing to eat too, and it takes more calories to digest it than it contains.

Love, Mikie
  9. ggks

ggks New Member

10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Mikie! Thats my favorite tea and I just filled a canning jar up with those lovely little black and green and red packets. (Keeps 'em fresher longer, plus looks nice sittin' up in the cupboard!) That's the best tasting tea I've ever had!

Marilyn :)

[ advertisement ]