Green Tea...Don't want yucky tasting...how do you prepare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Feb 5, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi again!!

I am looking for a good green tea. I do not want to try to have to force something down every day that tastes horrible either!!! I have heard there are flavored ones, but I do not know where to purchase.

Also, how does everyone prepare their green tea. I am not much into hot tea (but willing to try if it tastes OK), but love cold tea, is this an option? I have seen the brand that Wal-Mart sells, I think it is Arizona.

Thanks again for your help!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  2. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Hey there futurehope, love your nickname! I drink a green tea that I bought at my grocery. It is made by Celestial Seasonings and is called Raspberry Gardens. I just followed box dorections, boiled a little water, (enough for a cuppa) and dropped the bag in long enough to let the tea seep out. Picked the bag out with a spoon and added about a spoonful of Splenda. It can be a little bitter if one is not use to drinking hot tea without some type of sweetner and if not for being diabetic, I'd have used plain sugar.

The raspberry flavor gives it just the *oomph* it needs to keep it from tasting...I dunno, like some sort of bad, funky medicine, ha ha! Hope you can find that type, because I luves it and have a cuppa every day.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Trader Joe's sells a Jasmine green tea, I like it very much. There are several different kinds of green tea out there in grocery stores and health food stores, just experiment and see what you like.

You can make your own cold tea - make hot tea according to the package directions, and once it's ready, add lots of ice to cool it down.

But you may get to like it hot.

Mary
  4. mahx

mahx New Member

I too wanted to start drinking green tea for all the health benefits. When i first tried it ---i thought no way.
    I have always liked other hot teas--peach, rasp. etc.
    Someone in the chat room suggested i try honey in it. I did and know i drink it everyday. I just get any kind--decaf tho. Honey is also good for you. Just add as much as you like to your own taste. Happy tea drinking.

MA
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I'd love to try Stevia but have never been able to locate it, so always settled for Splenda. Could you be so kind as to give me some ideas where to find it? I would really appreciate it. I hear it has less of an aftertaste too and I would really like that! Thank you! :)
  6. LClancy

LClancy New Member

Brown rice syrup in green tea is very yummy. :)

Lisa
  7. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I was the same way about green tea... until I came across Lipton Green Tea with Orange, Passionfruit & Jasmine.

It is really good with a bit of pure honey in it.

My father-in-law used to have bees... and took honey every year.
    Down in this neck of the woods they have Tupelo honey.

It is so good... and even diabetics can eat it. It doesn't granulate.

It is natural and good in place of sugar in so many things.

There are alot of other flavored teas out there that are good too.

mari
  8. ncats

ncats New Member

HerbaSway has their own website.
    I have bought mine at the vitaminshoppe, which is much cheaper. Also google it and you can find it cheaper.

It is a concentrate flavored green tea, each serving is
    equal to 15 cups of green tea, and there is 60 servings in one bottle.
    It comes in many flavors. I love the peach!
    it is sweetened with stevia.
    VERY GOOD.

mandarin mango
    gingerbread
    honey lemon
    cream de mint
    rasberry/lime
    lemmonade

ncats

[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2006]
  9. ephemera

ephemera New Member

My accupuncturist has a dozen or so different kinds of teas. She has a spearmint green tea & a lemon green tea. I'd think you could get something similar in a health foods or Whole Foods store.

I've also done the mushroom teas. I often take either one with a piece of fruit, like apple or tangerine, etc. to avoid using the sugar in the tea.
  10. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

... is available in capsules at the health food store, if you're not into drinking it. :)
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You can find the Stevia in most healthfood stores, just read the package and be sure there is nothing added to it.

My husband lost almost 100lbs drinking plain green tea, nothing in it, yes, it was nasty!! Can't help with the name, it is in Chinese...............

Shalom, Shirl
  12. futurehope

futurehope New Member

All of you gave me some great responses!! I am happy to know that I can find green tea with good tastes!!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  13. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

... there is a trick to brewing it too.

Let the boiling water cool down for a couple of minutes before pouring it over the tea bag. Let it steep only for the ammount of time reccomended on the box, not longer. :)

Brenda, hope you find one you like!
  14. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Wow, he lost 100 pounds from drinking green tea? Did he diet and exercise as well? I wonder what it is that causes the weight loss?

I had a friend lose weight with it too. All I saw in the ingredients I had listed on the box I had was ephedrine. Now, I am supposed to stay away from that because of the tachycardia problem that I have. So yet another case of darned if do and so on. But I'd love to lose around ten pounds or so. Just don't want to take unecessary risks to do so.

I will look for Stevia though. Diabetic too, so I have to find some sugar replacement if I can't have my Splenda!
  15. petsrme

petsrme Member

I have lost 28 pounds drinking only green tea and nothing else. I started losing back in Sept 2005. I drink it cold. I just put it in cold water and let it sit and then drank it. I drink any I kind find. I like Celestial Seasonings raspberry flavor. It is at Walmart and grocery stores. If you want more about how I have done it click on my name and read the post I posted about updating my profile and not seeing it show up. It should be near the top. I posted about the green tea in that post down near the bottom.

Shirl, I would love to hear more about your husband. I have started slowing down and am afraid the weight will stop coming off. Did he do anything else? I wasn't doing a thing differently when the weight was falling off. I have now started trying to cut out sugar and eat healthier but the weight comes off faster when I just drink the tea.

It does make my heart rate go faster and that worries me. I cut back if it gets too high.
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I have a few healthful tips, so you are still fully enjoying the medicinal benefits of it by mixing it w/ assorted other herbals and enjoying their myriad benefits (and natural flavours) too.

Get a tin of loose green tea. Have this as your base and use a tea ball to make a pot, or I just use a hand strainer that sits w/in the top of my cup.

Any health store that sells bulk herbs will have loose herbs that make great medicinal teas. Some are bitter, some naturally sweet. I like bitters myself, they are very good for your blood, liver and digestion, but you can blend them w/ sweet teas which have other benefits too. Many sweeter ones like catnip, mint, chamomile, red clover buds, and St. John's Wort (a sweet/bitter actually) all have relaxing benefits, great for anxiety, pain, and enhancing sleep. Catnip is one of my favourites to mix w/ dandelion leaf (my favourite bitter); and catnip is also excellent for digestion and can promote a very healthy, bulky stool, but is not a laxative that can promote diarrhea

Those benefits aren't just for sweeter herbs though, hops is very bitter and pungent but is great for pain and relaxation, and hops can be put in a sock under your pillow to promote sleep too. Gingko boluba, the famous memory enhancer is a bitter that is good to mix in. As mentioned, St. John's Wort is an odd combo sweet/bitter. A very nice tasting tea, an amber colour similar to chamomile, it is relaxing, anti-anxiety, pain reducing and can gently promote serotonin. it also greatly enhances the immune system, but in a different way than echinacea which people w/ autoimmune disease often can't tolerate. Though echinacea is a great herb in its own right, for short periods of time though. I'm not sure how it would taste as a tea myself.

jeanne
  17. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

In food chains and many other stores, I found a trick with finding these items is that they are often NOT with sugar and other sweeteners!!
  18. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've been drinking it for about 6 years now. My favourite at the moment is a Moroccan mint and green tea blend. I have at least three mugs of that a day at work. The caffeine is very low and does help stay upright until I get home.

Walmart has a lot of good brands but when I buy plain green tea I usually go to an oriental market. It's much cheaper there.

I can't say I've lost weight, but I do think that it's great for weight control through menopause.

All the best,

Eileen
  19. twerp

twerp New Member

but I found one by Lipton that is very good. They have several flavored green teas, but the one I like best is called "Mixed Berry". Tastes mostly like raspberry to me. I put a little sweetener in it and it's gooood!

Hugs,
    Twerp
  20. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

When you drink the green tea do you need to be on any special kind of diet? I would love to lose about 20 lb, and I'm willing to drink it even if I don't like it?

Someone tell me more about it.

Kinsie