Green tea enhances antifungals for candida

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Jul 23, 2005.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Multiple effects of green tea catechin on the antifungal activity of antimycotics against Candida albicans.

Hirasawa M, Takada K.

Department of Microbiology, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, 2-870-1 Sakaecho-nishi, Matsudo City, Chiba 271-8587, Japan. masahira@mascat.nihon-u.ac.jp

OBJECTIVES: The susceptibility of Candida albicans to catechin under varying pH conditions and the synergism of the combination of catechin and antimycotics were evaluated.

Method: Antifungal activity was determined by broth dilution and calculation of cfu.

RESULTS: The antifungal activity of catechin was pH dependent. The concentration of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg) causing 90% growth inhibition of tested strains of C. albicans was 2000 mg/L at pH 6.0, 500-1000 mg/L at pH 6.5 and 15.6-250 mg/L at pH 7.0. Among catechins, pyrogallol catechin showed stronger antifungal activity against C. albicans than catechol catechin. The addition of 6.25-25 or 3.12-12.5 mg/L EGCg to amphotericin B 0.125 or 0.25 mg/L (below MIC) at pH 7.0 resulted in enhancement, respectively, of the antifungal effect of amphotericin B against amphotericin B-susceptible or -resistant C. albicans.

Combined treatment with 3.12-12.5 mg/L EGCg plus amphotericin B 0.5 mg/L (below MIC) markedly decreased the growth of amphotericin B-resistant C. albicans. When fluconazole-susceptible C. albicans was treated with 25-50 mg/L EGCg and fluconazole 0.125-0.25 mg/L (below MIC), its growth was inhibited by 93.0%-99.4% compared with its growth in the presence of fluconazole alone. The combined use of 12.5 mg/L EGCg and fluconazole 10-50 mg/L (below MIC) inhibited the growth of fluconazole-resistant C. albicans by 98.5%-99.7%.

CONCLUSIONS: These results indicate that EGCg enhances the antifungal effect of amphotericin B or fluconazole against antimycotic-susceptible and -resistant C. albicans. Combined treatment with catechin allows the use of lower doses of antimycotics and induces multiple antifungal effects. It is hoped that this may help to avoid the side effects of antimycotics.

PMID: 14688042 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  2. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Huh??? Maybe it's just me... but that was like reading a foreign language.

Could someone interpret for a newbie?

Thanks
    TM~
  3. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

omg princess thought it was just me.... freaking bad fibro head right now though...

green tea = bad? THat is as simple as I need it now a days.

I was on the green tea caps and omg in 1 week I gained over 10 pounds! SOB I was so mad it is supposed to help lose weight not gain a freaking fart load of it!

So I am off them and my body does not feel like the micheline man anymore.

Tansy love ya hun but pfffffffffft translation?

I am so dumb anymore I could get hit with a truck and still get up and look around and say huh?

smoooooooooootchies ta
  4. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

LOL @ 4everkid... i did get that much out of it! haha... too funny! ; )

But, seriously! Green Tea is not good for Candida??? I drink about 3 cups of it a day!! It's how i quit coffee!!! Geez! And ThreeLac is what i was going to, and needing to start next!!!

We just can't have anything good, can we!? : (

TM~
  5. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

I think it means green tea is Good for FIGHTING Candida
  6. bct

bct Well-Known Member

is a potent anti-fungal, and is useful as an adjunct to the treatments for candida.

Might I suggest the green tea capsules (500 mgs.; 5:1 water extract; 40% Polyphenols (30% Catechins.)

Barry.

7. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

HI, OUT THERE. GREEN TEA IS ALSO GOOD TO LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE. AT LEAST ONE CUP A DAY. ALSO HEARD THAT RAW GINGER SCRAPED ABOUT A 1/2 INCH OFF AND BOILING WATER POURED OVER IT AND LEFT FOR 15 MIN. THEN DRANK WITH HONEY OR STEVIA IS GOOD FOR INFLAMATION OF THE JOINTS. I AM GETTING ME SOME TO TRY IT AND WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW I DO. MAYBE YOU ALL HAVE ALREADY TRIED IT. LOVE, VERTIE
  8. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

{{{{ Hugs To All }}}}}

I really appreciate you all clearing that up!!! I was so bummed when i read (and or course didn't know what i read LOL*), but thought it might be bad for yeast overgrowth. I'm soooo excited to know i'm already in the habit of doing something to combat it already!

Thanks for the tip about the Green Tea Capsules!... Where can i find those?

And does anyone know if it does indeed help enhance ThreeLac when taken together?

Thanks Again!
    TM~
  9. bct

bct Well-Known Member

can be bought from this site's store. Jarrow co. also makes them.

I buy mine from my local organic food and supplement store in the village

To the best of my knowledge they have no caffeine in them.