Green Tea...FDA SAYS "No Evidence of Benefit"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, May 10, 2006.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Funny, we have been touting the bennies of Green Tea here lately with several people having great results and weight-loss too...

I was just watching Brian Williams on the Nightly News and they did a story about Green Tea...

The major company, ITO EN, who profited more than 14 million buckeroos last year from Green Tea, asked the FDA to label their tea as having heart benefits...

The response from the FDA was after 105 studies, no scientific evidence of health benefits exist...

Imagine that, a government agency that allows pesticide ridden veggies and fruits, hormone and antibiotic pumped up meats and other icky things to get to our tables, but a tea that clearly helps people on several different levels...They can't justify supporting that...

Maybe ITO EN could write someone a check to change their minds???

Love to all and I am still gonna use the tea...~Alicia
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

The FDA is about politics, not about people's health. Studies can be set up so as to give ANY, repeat ANY result that the researcher desires.

Remember the vitamin E studies that showed taking vitamin E to be unhelpful and dangerous? Here's how they got that result. First, they used synthetic vitamin E rather than natural. Second, the doses of the synthetic vitamin E were so low it had no theraputic value, i.e. it was garaunteed not to do anything. Third, the participants in the study were elderly heart attack victims who were due to die at some point in the study regardless of taking a little fake vitamin E. Therefore, based on this study, taking vitamin E doesn't help you at all and is possibly dangerous to your health.

See how easy that was? The FDA is not high on my credibility list!
    ((yuck!)) Shannon
  3. tlayne

tlayne Member

It did say that it benefitted mice. LOL! I'm going to use it too!
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

If anyone is interested, these are the rules for a "structure/function" claim on a supplement.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/tpdsclm.html
  5. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

....who paid for the 105 studies?

The other question would be, why conduct studies on a product that has been used for centuries by whole populations of countries?

Gwen
  6. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

The FDA ALSO would not approve Ampligen for CFS, because of politics!

The only thing a drug company must prove is that the drug is "safe and effective" to treat the illness they claim it treats.

Ampligen was BOTH - more so than many FDA "approved" drugs (Celebrex, anyone?), but Steve Straus was still hammering the public with the "psychoneurotic" theory of CFS, so the FDA was afraid to approve it.

They knew that approving a drug that improved the immune system for an illness that the US government's "top CFS researcher" was saying wasn't "real" would put them in a VERY uncomfortable position.

They left it "pending"..needing more investigation...

DO NOT get me started on the FDA!

julie (is free!)

I rant, therefore, I am! - Dennis Miller
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  7. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Some made me LAUGH!!!

I wish I had a better understanding of what is going on in this world today...But then again, I am stressed enough, I don't think I could handle it all...

That is why we have this board to come to and talk about things that help us and have hurt us and we can discuss subjects that we normally couldn't with others (normals)...

Thanks for the laughs especially, it really made my morning brighter to see the replies here...I actually forgot I posted this lastnite (imagine that)

Have a wonderful day all...Find your green tea and drink up and if you have mice in your house, give them some too,tehe

Love to all~Alicia