greenbean7 and others RE: dog cancer... He is at peace now

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimba4318, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I am so sad right now and trying to hold it together. I am so sorry about you lab... I just found out this morning that my parents golden retreiver who we grew up with... has late stage cancer in his shoulder. He already had bad hip dysplesia (sp).

He went down hill this weekend with walking. My dad carried him to the ER Vet today and was told about the cancer. Said he is in alot of pain and said we will have to make a "decision" soon. We are so sad... we love him so so much. He is a big helper to my brother who is paralyzed.

They gave him pain meds but we do not want him to suffer... but what a hard, hard decision to make. He is an angel to us. I cannot stop crying.

Did they tell you how long your dog may have? Our Max is not going to make it long. That is horrible to have to make a decision like that... it is like having to "pull the plug" on a family member.

We will have to see what these pain meds do for him... he will not be able to walk to go to the bathroom soon, the doctor said. It is so awful adn sad.

Thanks for letting me share..., I wish to god I could take the pain away as he does not deserve to suffer. SO worried about my brother too...

[This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2007]
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I am so sorry, Kim.

I know a lot of people don't agree, but to me it IS like losing a family member. My fuzzy kids are my family.

We don't have any real answers about Aster yet. We aren't going into extensive testing or anything because there really just isn't anything that can be done and there is no reason to put her through that.

Making the decision is a horrible thing to have to do. When it comes to that, and it will with Aster, I will be with her so she won't be afraid. I love her too much to let her be alone at the end. She has given me so much it is the very least I can do for her.

Again, Kim, I am so very sorry.

Hugzz to you and Max,
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

About your beautiful Max. My heart breaks for you and your famiy. Our pets can be so much a part of our lives and we hurt when they hurt. I pray that you all can find comfort and peace with whatever comes.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

So very sorry. Our pets are our families, it really doesn't matter what others may think. The loss of a pet is devastating.

I pray that Max will be able to make it a little longer and you can help him with his pain.

The sad thing about our beloved pets is that they live such short lives. The time does come though, when we can think fondly of them without too many tears, once they have left us.

I lost both my darling dogs about 18 months ago within a few weeks and I still cannot even bring myself to foster a dog. Our cats are here, and wonderful but there is nothing like a dog for being our best friend.
    I feel for your brother too.

Much love and sincere sympathies, Annie Cromwell
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

thank you all so much. I cannot stop the tears and your heartfelt support means more than you know. He is our family and I know you all understand that.

He is so smart and loving.. even with this painful cancer he lets my children layall over him(before we knew ofcourse) and I know that must have been painful for him, but he just let them do it.

We can never replace those love bugs, but like you said, we can keep the great memories of them. Seems like only yesterday we brought him home and he has always been a godsend for whatever my brother goes thru daily.

I do appreciate all of you.
  6. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

The last boxer I had named Deuce was my best buddy, he was there with me from the beginning of my FMS and went everywhere with me. He was always by my side whether I was in bed or not.

He had degenerative disk disease and got to the point where he couldn't keep his hind legs under him anymore. I tried everything, a neurosurgeon said he would operate ($3000 +) but didn't feel that it would be successful. I even took him twice weekly to an accupuncturist that was an hour away.

It got to the point where I had to put a towel under his belly to hold up his back end so I could help him get outside to go to the bathroom, or over to his food bowl to eat or drink. This of course was killing my physically (he was an 85lb dog).

Looking back on it now I feel bad because I probably should have made the "decision" earlier. I just couldn't bear to part with him.

We had booked a week on a houseboat on Lake Shasta so we took him with us, loved on him incessantly, fed him whatever he wanted, made sure things were as good for him as we could possibly make it.

Then when we got home we made the appointment. Our vet was wonderful, my entire family was there to pet him and love him as he quietly slipped away. It broke my heart but I was so glad he didn't hurt anymore. We understand what it's like to live with pain dont we?

Back home I was lost.....he was my main source of comfort.
    I had swore I would never get another dog because it hurt too much to lose them. 3 weeks later I had a new boxer puppy. Jackson didn't replace Deuce, no dog could, but he is now my new soulmate and brings me as much comfort as Deuce did.

This happened 6 years ago and I am crying again as I write this. The hurt never goes away but it does get better with time. My hope for you is that you, your family and Max can get through this terribly emotional time with the least amount of pain possible.

There really are no words I can say except I am so sorry you are faced with this.

7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Lynna - YOu are a wonderful person. My heart breaks hearing about you carrying him to help him go to the bathroom, etc.. Max is 120 lbs.... so that will not be easy either.

I am listening to what you are saying about the "timing"... we do not want to be selfish, but just like you, want every minute we can get with him. We will keep that in mind. God knows we do not want him to suffer. It is just so hard to "decide" when.

So sorry for your loss... we will NEVER forget HIM.. I know you won't forget your sweetie either. My parent recently purchashed another golden pup, hoping it would pep Max up again.. seemed to be helping for a bit, until he went downhill fast. I am grateful for their new baby "Jake" he has brought lots of smiles to our faces already... never a replacement, just an addition to the family. I think he was sent to them for a reason...we were hoping Max's great personality would rub off on Jake and it has already started to. God love them.

Thank you for your support.. I am going tommorow morning to spend some time with him and not knowing if it is my last or not... which is so much more than I can think about or handle right now.

I better wipe the tears and try to think more positively... but your words mean so much to me.

Thank you.....
  8. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

So glad you will get to visit with him tomorrow. They "know" so much more than we humans give them credit for. Enjoy every minute with him, even if it is quiet time just petting him.

Towards the end I would take Deuce out and lay with him in the sun and grass and just hug him. He would "kiss" my tears away. He knew how hard it was for me to let go. I knew by the look he gave me at the end that he was relieved and content. He never did like the wheelchair we got for him. He was ready to go.

Like Deuce, I'm sure your Maxy knows how much he is loved. Enjoy your time with him tomorrow. I will be thinking of you all.

9. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Today is the day. We are a mess. He ballooned up over night... he can barely move. It is time to let him go. I cannot believe that we just foud out yesterday and today it it is time already.

Say a prayer for my dear Maxy... I know he will be in a better place but soooo sooo hard.

Thank you all again for your kind words.
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My prayers are with Max and you.

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very sorry to hear about Greenbean's dog, and now Max. Sounds like they have both had happy, contented lives and a short period of suffering.

I know how hard it is to lose a dog, though.
  12. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Our sweetheart is gone... I cannot believe tears area ble to still flow, they should be dried up by now. My mom told me that it will be so hard for me to see him today because he is unresponsive and blown up in his belly.

When I walked in the door, prepared for the worst, he struggled to get up adn wagged his tail and gave me lots of kisses. We all cried ofcourse. My mom could not believe it. He found the energy to say goodbye. So happy that I got to see him with a little wag and got to get some last kisses.

We all were together when we bought him and all together when he passed. The vet came to the house since Max is a big boy and my brother, who is paralyzed, wanted to say goodbye. They used his back leg to give him the injection, so we would be able to hold him and pet his sweet face as he feel asleep. It was so peaceful and he knew it was his time. After that was over, they put him on a stretcher and lifted him so my brother could kiss him one last time. Then it was over...

I hope I can get myself together soon, but he will be so missed. Just trying to think of the wonderful joy he brought to out lives, but cannot believe he is gone. I know he is on his way to "Rainbows Bridge" it is a wonderful place where all the sick dogs are better and they can play and frolick with one another. It is a beautiful pain free place for dogs to be dogs.

To our beautiful Maxy.. we will never forget you. Thank you friends for helping me thru this difficult time.

13. elliespad

elliespad Member

My tears will not stop flowing. Such sadness I know. It sounds like Max did not have to suffer much at all, and that is a gift, for all of you. A dog as special as Max KNOWS and FEELS the love you all gave him. Remember the joy and happiness he brought you and know that you all gave him the best in life right to the end.

With deepest sympathy,

14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

So sorry to hear about Max,sounds as though you have loads of treasured memories & he was very well loved.
  15. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

I am sooo sorry. I'm sure you are devastated. I'm so glad you got to be there with him at the end. That's really the last, best thing we can do in my opinion. Isn't it amazing that they still try to comfort us when we should be doing the comforting?

Please give my love and sympathy to your entire family.
    Maxy was a good dog and he's in a better place.

Love you!
  16. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

All I can say is Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.