Greetings re: money

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pluckysickone, Oct 26, 2006.

1. pluckysickone

pluckysickone New Member

Dear All, I've been receiving the enewsletter for about a year now, and am SO glad I've found it. I have managed Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, CFIDS, and probably Fibro for about 20 years. Until about five years ago, I could work full time and function with a crash about every 5-7 years or so, but then a recovery.

At this time, however, I've used up my savings and inheritance, and am not able to recover from a relapse. Also, I've been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis this year. I don't have SSDI yet, am waiting for a date for a hearing with the ALJ.

Does anyone know of any funds anywhere that can help me and those of us who have no means of support until we are approved for SSDI? Rich, could any of the celebrities who've helped us raise money for research be able to help with temporary support? Social services are minimal. I don't need much, but I've lost everything. My family is not able/willing to help.

When I am better I intend to work for "the cause," but for now the financial stress is killing me (and I do not use that word lightly).

I look forward to continuing our cyber-support group in any case. Thanx for listening. I'm sure I am not alone.

carla

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

have to devote all the time and energy you can find to getting some assistance.

Start w/ the county welfare dept.

Is there a children's welfare bureau?

Check w/ the state for unemployment and/or disability benefits.

Check w/ drug companies. Some, I have read on this board, will donate meds.

Here are some medication numbers that have been posted in the past: 1 800 864-1140

pparx.org

themedicineprogram.com

RXassist.org

Talk to the Red Cross, Goodwill and churches. Somebody suggested on this board that Goodwill might let you trade some clothes, 2 for one.

Try community organizations like the Lions or Shriners.

If you can't get any help contact newspapers, radio and TV stations.

Good luck.

3. pluckysickone

pluckysickone New Member

Thx for so promptly letting me know I'm not alone. Have gone to all the resources you suggested, EXCEPT the public media. We should be able to have benefit "spaghetti dinners" and bake sales for us all.
    Unfortunately, I relocated last year from my native Minnesota, which is known for good social services, to New Mexico for the drier climate. I used to travel for my job and lived in the great basin and mountain states, so knew I'd benefit from less dampness, and that is true, but many other factors are involved, including financial stress. NM is a beautiful, but poor state so Social Services are awful.
    I will think seriously about talking to the media.
    Thank you - peace and hope to you.
    Carla