GRINCHES.....Sign in.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fivesue, Nov 27, 2007.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

OK, I'll start.

It is less than a month 'til Christmas, and I have absolutely NO EXCITEMENT at all.

My kids will get checks, my husband and I will do little as we have made some large purchases and need to make another, and we already bought my mom hers....she may get another little something. Grandkids...the older ones will get movie passes and the younger some toy of some sort. Wal-lah. No more than that!

Our Christmas decorations are in a storage shed 4 1/2 hours from here, and there they will stay. We have so much sitting around here waiting to be transfered to a storage shed that the thought of adding more junk to the place really turns me off.

So...that's my mood. I hope others are not in the same mood as I, but I'm betting some are. I think part of the problem was the time change was later and Thanksgiving was earlier....ready or not, here the holidays are.

So, I do wish all of you a good Christmas or whatever, but count me firmly in the grinch's corner. I don't want anything, either. Not just one way about this thing.

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Hey! I know your not a Grinch! lolol! your a sweet lady who already has her x-mas shopping done!,lolol,,,,,

I Hear you on not wanting to drag out all (Stuff),,,,No room! and so i just put out a couple things and have a 3 ft fiber optic tree,,,,,,Thats it,,,,,It can be very overwhelming to say the least!

I usually go all out and make 5-6 different kinds of candy and cookies and now im just going to make Fudge and peanut brittle,,,,,,,,,,,Simplifying it all has worked very well for me,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,Sis,,,,,P.S. How's your Felix boy?
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Simplify! Now that's what we have to learn to do! Me, I should say.

Sis...decorations sound just plenty...and fudge and peanut brittle? Nummy! You are a fun lady...I'll bet your girls just love you. How's your dad doing? Still wowing the nurses?

Ellie...glad you survived the operation and the relaspe. I was gone during the relaspe, but arrived home to see you had come through with flying colors. How are you feeling?

Oh, I would love to come walk in your Winter Wonderland! How fun. If only we weren't a continent apart. So your men don't like it, eh? My DH would love it! He would find all sorts of bargains or not but have a wonderful time playing Santa. He's such a giver.

I have my Christmas present in my implant tooth and another gold crown. More valuable than diamonds. Sure is nice to have teeth back there now. Feels sooo good.

OK...We'll see who else might be on the "grichy: side...hummm. Sure wish I could be with either one of you for a day in the snow...just a day. (-:

4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I thought I might not be alone in this.

Yes, too commerialized, T....glad you give to needy children. We try to donate to organizations that help, also. I, too, enjoy the time DH has off. It's great.

Jin...I also used to decorate cookies, make candy, have name it. Of course, that was when my boy were still boys and it was a fun thing to do as a family. We did send out cards last year...don't know about this year. I second the new body request.

So, as you two, I am happy for those who are really into Christmas. My husband's daughter loves Christmas, so it's nice for her. But, just can't get into I've already said.

Merry Christmas to you two, also. Maybe 2008 will bring some new, EFFECTIVE treatments for our DD's. We can only hope.

Thanks for your notes.

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I agree with you! Black Friday is really the worst. I would never go shopping on that day.

I do love Thanksgiving, though. We had it with my mom, at her house, and with some family. She was so happy to have us all. It was nice.

But, Christmas and buying stuff...nope. It's not like anyone I know needs anything! We do have a 4 year old grandson, and he's fun to buy for...

But the rest...Bah, Humbug!

Celebrating Christ's birthday is the reason we have this holiday...I try to find things that uplift Him during this time.

Thanks for your response. Enjoy the day!

6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

then my son w/be going in for surgery on his knee on the 26...from what i understood in e/r/ the dr. would admit him the night before surgery....

his b-day is the 21st and he w/be 18 years old...

i am so depressed about so many things besides xmas..

no family other than my exhb and son...the exhb has a live in gf w/her 2 i feel odd inviting them over for dinner or brunch...

well gonnna go

7. victoria

victoria New Member

it was fun when the kids were little and we had relatives coming over, and friends. Not sure I could do it now tho, anyway...

But since our kids get their presents in the form of support every month (daughter: going to school, and son: chronic lyme) plus the fact that at 20 & 24, they're hard to buy for anyway unless it means a lot of $$, so gifts are no longer a feature hardly. But they are good kids and definitely ok with it. DH and I have never really bought each other gifts ever.

It's harder not to decorate... I can add a lot over the space of a few weeks. Not so easy to take down tho, so I am repressing and suppressing myself LOL. I have a 4' tree, that's about it. Very hard for me, as my family when I was little was really into Christmas stuff, and I always did it with my Mom.

8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I mean, like, Burning the Trees afterward can be fun:)

Does anyone else have the tradition of tying all the neighborhood trees together on a chain behind the truck full of the neighbors, then lighting trees and driving, while singing happy new year and bah humbug?

no, I guess not.

(There are usually a lot of trees out on "tree recyle day" so we now we schedule then)

We used to use the old hay wagon until it done burnt up with a whole case of Jack Daniels.

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2007]
  9. painterZ

painterZ New Member

been more of an Easter person myself.

10. sisland

sisland New Member

I guess your not the only one!,,,lolol,,,,I remember when the girls were growing up ,,,how stressful it was getting everything ready and to get the tree stand to work right every year was a CHORE!

I remember one year i just got frustrated and duct taped the tree to the wall to get it to stand up!,,,,,lolol,,,,,now i just take my time getting ready and try and not to forget anyones gift!,,,,,,,Thanks for asking about my Dad!,,,,,,

He's doing Good! Has acclamated himself to the place!,,,,,,Gets along great with all the Nurses and also He knows everyone there from the community,,,,,,,,,,so it's Good for him!,,,,,,

Thanks for the compliment about my Girls! I Love them so much and we have always had fun somehow!,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,Sis
  11. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

My daughter is very excited, my son really doesn't have much of a clue yet. Me, not so much because I have no idea how I'm going to afford presents. I wish I had money to buy presents for everyone I would like to, but I just got a couple numbers for santa's helper places to help with the kids.

Between all the bills that HAVE to be paid, that doesn't leave much.

I can't wait to actually have GOOD Christmas!
  12. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Ever since I got sicker we just don't do anything for Christmas, eve the kids don't want to do anything, we'll probably have a nice supper and just watch movies all Holiday long, the kids don't want any presents ( they have not wanted this for over 3 years ) so we decided to have a treasure hunt for them ( No wrapped toys ) we are just going to buy them things they had asked for during the year and hid them and we'll give them clues so they can start searching for them.

So do I feel like a Grinch? you bet I do!

Love to all, Ann
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I get to drive since I started this! (-:

Twin...Glad your daughter will decorate; it's important for her so I'm glad she doesn't just sit there and wait for you to do it. The Goats and Chicks sounds like a great organization...may have to check it out.

Jodie...Sounds like a lot of things are happening right around's and a surgery...I hope that you will find a way to celebrate with your son...something you both can enjoy. Inviting ex and gf doesn't sound like something I could do.

Vic...Yes! When the kids were little, it was fun. Now...?? I hope that you and your husband find a way to have a good day anyway! Then...if you come up with a good idea, TELL ME!

Mad Sci...I want to play, too! That sounds like soooo much fun. I think I could enjoy a tree if I knew I got to burn it after Christmas. The pyro in me is coming out, isn't it? (-:

Painter...I love's my favorite, also. Not for the bunnies but for the reason we even have it.

Sis...So happy your dad is doing so well. I will remember to keep the duct tape handy when we decorate next...who knows when that will be!

Jen...Enjoy those babies. It goes by so quickly; I wish I had truly listened to people who told me how fast it really does. Anyway, I hope you all have a fun day with them. It takes so little to make their eyes sparkle.

Ann...What a great idea...treasure hunt for presents. You really have a great idea there. That would be fun. What movies will you watch?

Thanks, all you Grinches, for brightening my day. You are all great. Wouldn't it be fun if we could all join Mad Sci, load in the back of a truck and burn trees? (-:

Hope today is good for all.

14. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I am so awful this year...been thinking about shooting Rudolph.

I am like Twin...the 19 year old will be home this weekend and she is doing the tree. I haven't put out hte first thing inside, I did put all of my snowmen decos outside, but I don't think Santa and Mrs Claus will be showing their faces this year.

15. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just responded to all and deleted it by mistake!

To Lacey, Terch, Georgia, and Jam...I loved your entries...Yes, can be mayor. Terch...Festivus sounds a bit edgy! Georgia...what lovely memories your grandma shared with you.Jam...Health to you this coming year!

Short and sweet...I always go on so..

Better post this before I delete it again.

16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

it is a lovely tradition, the Victorian Christmas scene.

Such warm thoughts it brings back.

17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I do like some parts of it and my parents are gone and brother in another state. I do have 5 children and 8 grandkids although they are not all that close by.

I just think that Christmas is getting just terribly commercialized as someone else said before and seems to START EARLIER AND EARLIER EACH YEAR. Halloween isn't even over and out come the Christmas decorations.

I, like many of you have little energy and we take out the tree and some decorations when we are going to have Christmas here. If we do not, we put up the minimal and the our good old fiberoptic tree. We just put together our prelighted fake tree and it looks great the way it is. After we come back this weeekend from an OOT trip out come the decorations and I will have to start trimming the tree. If the kids were here they could do it (-: !!! At least I do not have to put the lights on anymore.

When I think of what I got as a child and what is offered now it blows my mind. So many children are so spoiled with toys and electronic gadgets before some of them are probably old enough to use them correctly. Yes many, I believe, have forgotten ( or never knew) the real reason for the season. So, everything is take take take , if you know what I mean.

What was in our stockings was very minimal too, some fruit and maybe a little toy or something small and cheap !!! I remember waking up in the middle of the night and going to the foot of my bed where the stocking was fastened to sneak a peak at my treasures. If I got a small toy or two I was SO happy.

I love it when I see my grandkids and my children but all this giving can get ridiculous, if you know what I mean !!

If the kids (little ones mostly) do not tell me what they want or their mothers don't tell me, they get a gift card or money. DH and I don't get alot of stuff for each other. We may go together to pick out some things we need for the house or ourselves with maybe one surprise. he likes to get me perfume which I don't use a whole lot and sometimes some jewelry. However, this year we got a car, so there probably will not be alot we are getting ourselves (-:!! I could go on.

Yes, a nice Victorian Christmas would be lovely but we will not get snow here in TX which is really ok with me unless it comes , looks pretty and then disappears. I was born in NY so I know all about snow. I am to cold natured to get out there and have to shovel , etc.

Yes, I guess I still do love Christmas ( esp.the way it used to be). I wish people would be more traditional, and that it wasn't so terribly commercialized as I said before. That really bothers me!! The idea of giving to the needy is a wonderful one. I was in charge the last few years in our subdivisioon of the Salvation Army tags for needy chidren and the elderly and this year helped with the food bank here too. We will also give through the church as I am sure many of you will be doing too. That is where the true spirit lies along with being with and loving family and friends !!

I also sing in the church choir and another group which I think is also an other good part (or addition to) Christmas.

Sorry for my ranting, venting or whatever you want to call it. Sorry to make this a BOOK !!

God bless you "Everyone" as Tiny Tim said !! Am I mushy or what??

Granni (the semi Grinch)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2007]
  18. fivesue

fivesue New Member

No....I think you have a real handle on the whole thing. I agree with everything you said. My husband and I are only getting each other a couple VERY small gifts as we bought a new 5th wheel this year...a good present. I also had some dental work done...better than diamonds if you know what I mean.

My grandchildren as soooo spoiled with things. Their parents also spend much time with them, so it's not like they're being bought off. I am proud of my son and his wife and how they've supported their kids in all their activities.

BUT....everything has come so easily for the kids.

Anyway, thanks for your post. You really sound like you have this Christmas thing down. I'm still a bit grinchy, but that's just me.

Enjoy your singing...we used to do lots of that, but the last few years have been different. We are eager to find another church when we move to attend. Love to sing in choirs, etc.

19. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Christmas decorations, Christmas music= FLARE! (-: I knew there was a reason I didn't want to do all that this year...but, I do hope you have recovered.

Well, we are traveling and I will have to listen to Christmas music as DH loves it...plays it right after Thanksgiving until Christmas. Bah Humbug!

Well...I do like Christmas carols, but not so early. I do love to listen to the Messiah each year...have it on CD. Ah...had forgotten that.

You go, girl. Someone has to be cheery, in the are the perfect one. You already have the decorations, have paid the price and now can enjoy. Hooray for you.

20. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I think we are going to favorite "It's a wonderful life" "The Grinch Who stole Christmas" A Miracle on 34th Street" make some popcorn and try...I said try ( no promises )
    to be merry.

love to all, Ann