Grocery shopping....YUCK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tedebear, Mar 4, 2003.

1. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Well, cleaned out all the shelves of food in the last 3 weeks. Had to go to the store. My husband is tired of coming home and taking me out to eat because I dread going to the store. He occasionnaly would pick-up milk and bread and eggs. Now I am set for the next 3 weeks again.
    I don't know if any of you have problems, but it took me 3 1/4 hours to get food at the store, bag it, put it in the trunk, take it out of the trunk, put it away. What an ordeal. I have such a difficult time, and then I am in pain for the balance of the day. It is enough just keeping up with doctor and physical therapy appts. What a life eh? Very discouraging. Wish I had my old self back, although that was years ago. Anybody else experience the difficulty getting around?
    Soft hugs. Hope to hear soon. Have a wonderful less painful day today and always.
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I am the same way~ If its my grocery day,thats all I can handle!! I don't dare scedule something else on the same day!(its too much!)Thats sounds terrible,abnormal,etc.
    But,I agree with you....I t takes me at least 2 hrs or more to get the food,drive home and put it away,and after that ,I'm beat!! I need to rest.....hopefully before the kids come home from school.Than its time to cook!
    Your not alone on this one~grocery shopping stinks! matter of fact,I needed to go today.but did'nt,I'll put it off till tomorrow~
    (whats the saying?"your as young as you feel"....)Do you FEEL young?
    Warm hugs,
    Tracey
  3. teacher

teacher New Member

I can relate to the long time in shopping and putting away only to be in pain for the rest of the day. Here's what I do. Maybe it will help you.

I go to the grocery store once a month. I go early on Saturday, like 7:00 a.m. when I have the most energy of the day. Ususally, there aren't very many others present. I can take my time wandering through the aisles and not get run over by people in a hurry or screaming children. Then I go home and do nothing for the rest of the day after I put everything away. I don't dread my trips anymore.

This way, I only have to run in for more fresh salad stuff once a week. Your hubby wouldn't mind doing that I bet!

Also, if you have a stand alone freezer, buy extra loaves of bread and cartons of OJ. They freeze well and you don't have to run in and get that later in the month. Cheese freezes well also.

You didn't say, but do you drive or work during the week? If you drive and don't work, you could do this one morning durning the week. Toss something in the crock pot before you go and then go to bed when you're done putting away. Hot meal for hubby and less stress because he's not fussing at you.

I hope this helps some.

teacher
  4. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I typed in a whole message, then got booted off computer - darn.

Well, what I was saying was that I go to the grocery store about 2 times a month and that's the extent of my outings. I just cannot get anything together except an occasional trip to doctor or my folks and then my son drives me to see them and it's not nearly often enough. They're very old and they need my help but I'm just not able to do anything about it. It's very difficult.

Anyway - my husband was doing the grocery shopping for an extended time but he's almost 76 and already working 50 hours a week to try to keep us alive. I just can't ask him to do anymore. But it gets real hard at the store because I run out of "gas" before the project is complete. My favorite checker told me to do half, rest on the bench at front of store and then go do the other half - or, drive one of those carts. I told him I was afraid I'd run over someone and he said it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. But we'll see - I'm getting to where I can barely walk.

Anyway - good subject. It's too bad that a simple chore like grocery shopping has to be my big subject but I feel it's almost like climbing a mountain - once I'm done I feel as tho I deserve a prize! So I go home, unload and go back to the big bed to wait for the next venture into life!

Take care all of you out there - you are my social experience!

Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2003]
  5. swred5

swred5 New Member

I totally agree, I work in a grocery store 40 hours a week, and then have to do my shopping on top of that! The last thing I want to do after work is pick up groceries, but alas we have to eat. My husband is really good about helping me, but he just doesn't know exactly what I want. I am terrible at meal planning, and tend to eat by mood, so we seem to shop every day!! All of my decent hours are spent at the grocery store, and then get home too exhausted to do anything FUN!! Don't forget about those great on-line grocers that deliver to your door. Prices are pretty competative, and there is much less work!! xoxo
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

shopping for groceries, even when I was *well*. Now it's just that much worse. I get a lot of our staples and cleaning/paper products at Sam's club, and I hate that even more.

I *wish* I could pay someone to do the shopping and the cooking for me!
  7. baybe

baybe New Member

Coming to believe we have a whole secret set of symptoms of this crazy diagnosis. I will now add to the list avoidance of Grocery Stores due to Time Entrapment and Inability to get back out. I have always wanted to write a book called "The Care and Feeding of the Fibromite" and one of my descriptions to the Lay person is" a fibromite is a person found standing or riding a cart in the middle of the grocery aisle, moving in a herky - jerky motion , often changing direction without notice, aspect vague with a hint of smirk." Seems like the Grocery stores have us beat, don't care how many times I go there I'm amazed that people can go into the store to an exact aisle and come out with something the went in for. It must be magic, lol
  8. pamela

pamela New Member

For many months until I got my pain meds I could not go to the store w/out just the most ultimate fatigue and pain!! My hubby always goes w/ me and he is the best. I would try what the other post said and go early and if you can afford all that at once buy up for a month. I usually buy up for 2-3 weeks other than milk and eggs. We go to Sam's also. I try to make it fun!! How you may ask? Well, if your in pain and know your going to be in pain during the event take your meds, eat something lite then phsyc yourself up. Just do it!! WHen you get home throw it in the fridge and pantry then take your hot bath or climg in bed w/ a big bowl of ice cream and watch a movie. If you have a movie store near by try to stop by and get one. Think of your most fun thing to do after the grocery store and make that your prize for going. It's all in the head. See Ya!!! Pammy P.S. Your screen name is so cute..i'm a bear fan. I Love Bears!!!
  9. tedebear

tedebear New Member

I would like to thank all of you that sympathize with me.
    No easy way to get it done without additional monies going out (meds and docs cost enough).
    Hang in there guys, just like I am trying to do and again........
    THANKS FOR LISTENING! SOFT TEDDY HUGS.
  10. j9miller

j9miller New Member

Publix, a grocery store chain in my area, just started with shopping online. It is WONDERFUL. For a $7.95 fee someone shops for you, bags it, delivers it, carries it inside to your kitchen (they even put hospital booties on as not to drag in dirt) and they cannot take tips. Everything I have ordered has been better than the stores themselves. The meat, seafood, produce, deli and bakery. They have a warehouse with all of the above departments as well as a whole "store". Not driving anymore and being in so much pain, I go online as long as I can, shop, save the list if I get tired and finish shopping later. Then "bam" it is delivered when I need it. You can also use coupons that are applied to your next order. Awesome thing this is.

Janine
  11. seaview

seaview New Member

I am with you...totally draining and a very unrewarding use of my time. Unfortunately the 6 other family members(5 children) count on me making a weekly trip there. As I type my frig is so yucky and now empty so I can really see how much it needs to be cleaned :( !.....I am whiped out for the rest of the day and sometimes the next. I freeze bread,cheese and anything else I can. My kids are getting really tired of burritos, grilled cheese,or eggs. I just do not have the energy at all to prepare a meal and when I do it seems no one(except the 2 little ones )are here to eat it. Just a never ending cycle here at my house...one I would gladly like to bow out of. The home delivery sounds great......good for you! ok, my whining is over! :) Kathy
  12. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

I hate grocery shopping also - even though my husband goes with me and primarily pushes the cart I am exhausted long before we are done. He also bags it, puts it in the car and will only allow me to carry the bread bag on the way in. Even that is no help - after helping my daughter, son and husband! put the stuff away I inevitably wind up telling my husband I HAVE to lay down because I can't stand up or keep my eyes open much longer. Just another one of the things I really cannot do any longer. And let's add MALL shopping to that!
  13. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

I hate grocery shopping also - even though my husband goes with me and primarily pushes the cart I am exhausted long before we are done. He also bags it, puts it in the car and will only allow me to carry the bread bag on the way in. Even that is no help - after helping my daughter, son and husband! put the stuff away I inevitably wind up telling my husband I HAVE to lay down because I can't stand up or keep my eyes open much longer. Just another one of the things I really cannot do any longer. And let's add MALL shopping to that!
  14. KimAB

KimAB New Member

I feel SO much better about myself and about life ! Yesterday I was going to clean out the sink only to find that my plug was STUCK to the counter... and my fridge and cupboards are bare so you can see that a half bottle of soya sauce spilled ALL OVER in the fridge ...

So I cleaned off the counters and cleaned out the sink and cleaned out the fridge and now I'm just trying to psych myself up for grocery shopping (shudder)

I would have called for take out... but my dh just started a new job and I can't remember the phone number... :)
  15. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I LOOOOOVE to shop for groceries! However, I don't like it when I have many, many bags of stuff to haul home, so I go a couple of times a week and bring home 2-3 bags at a time. It's easier on me physically and mentally. I also do this because it gets me out of the house and this is the only time I see any other human beings. I'm in heaven in a grocery store. That's one place that I seldom have anxiety because I am surrounded by comfort foods!

Marilyn :)
  16. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Your hubby is 76 and working?? He should be retired, kicked back and enjoying some leisure time!

Marilyn :)