grocery shopping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaJones, Feb 23, 2009.

1. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

I don't have the energy to go grocery shopping.
    Any suggestions?
  2. smokiebones

smokiebones New Member

I take Super B a vitiman B complex that has all of the B's in it to help with energy.
  3. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Linda,

What you could do is check out an online service. Not sure where you are located but most of the larger chains offer it for a nominal delivery fee and you have to spend a certain amount. I'm near Phila, PA and the Acme and Genuardi's delivers. I've been fortunate that some of my friends will pick up odds and ends for me and when my girls come for a visit I can coax them to do it. I don't have the strength or energy for it.

Do a google search for grocery delivery. Or perhaps there is a teen in your neighborhood who wants to make some extra money and perhaps would shop for you and you could pay them $20 or something that you both agree on.

Good luck

Rene
  4. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I completely understand. Grocery shopping is very demanding.

Here are some ideas: Go to small organic or specialty food stores. It takes less energy because you don't have the long isles pushing a cart.

Another one, offer to pay your next door neighbor to get items on your list when they go. If they are going for themselves it won't be too much for them to get items you need. If they are next door to you, it won't be too much for them to bring it to you.

Another one, buy from a locally grown coop group. If you have one in your area, they pick the groceries for you and you pick it up in one place. I live in the metro Birmingham, Alabama area. They have pick up locations around the city. It takes less energy to drive than to walk down the long isles pushing the cart.

Another one, ask the store manager to use one of their wheel chair like carts.

Another one, take a break. Do half your shopping, then get some food from their deli to eat. Then go to the car and lean back the seat and rest for an hour. Then go back and do all the refrigerated items.

Tina

5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The Area on Aging in many states has a program where you might qualify to get someone in to help you. It's not age specific. Call them and ask.

Meals on Wheels delivers a hot meal for you. You may qualify for that as well. It is not age specific. You can usually find out about them through local Senior Centers. If you are too young for the Center itself, just tell them you are disabled and need info.

If you need more help, you could advertise for someone to take you grocery shopping and offer to pay for gas and alittle extra.

I'm struggling terribly right now with the shopping. It puts me in a flare for most of a week afterward.
  6. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

hi,
    I really can feel for you with this issue - i cannot do it for several reasons.

what i have done -- and it has it's "subtle embarrassment" , but my mother lives essentially next-door, (though we live in woods) ... so, when she goes shopping, she is kind enough to include me in her food-shopping.

I guess my suggestion is -- if possible, if you're the type of person that can ask for things (i'm not !) then see if a friend/ neighbor, etc. === make it as easy on them as possible ......... perhaps if you have several friends, could they take turns?

hope something works for you ...

(obviously, if you live in an area that would offer reasonably priced delivery, that's a great idea -- it's just not something offered where i live)
  7. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

At the moment, my CFS is worse than it's ever been due to adding adrenal insufficiency to the mix. I can barely leave my house once a month at the moment. Can't stand for long without feeling really heavy in the body etc.

I am in Australia so our supermarket names are different - but the major stores have online shopping (Here Coles, Safeway). You can 'browse isles' and add things to your cart, paying by credit card for the order. It then is delivered to your door the next day. I've been doing this ever since september last year or so when all this started.

Before that i could shop on my own and would be wrecked when i got home and needed a rest, but i could at least do it.

However, the online shopping has saved me, don't know what i'd do without it right now. Think of your two biggest grocery stores and they will both likely have online services.

~Chris.
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Linda,

Not having energy just stinks doesn't it? When I don't have energy, my husband goes for me when he's able to go, or sometimes my kind neighbors do. I don't know if you belong to a church or other place of worship in which they have people that volunteer to go to the grocery for people who can't---that might be something to look into.

The other thing I do is to stock up on items that have a long shelf life so that when I DON'T feel well, I have plenty of food on hand to last until I CAN go.

Many things have a longer shelf life then you might think. I certainly like fresh food, but I eat frozen fruits and veggies because they last longer then so-called "fresh" produce. I also freeze bread so that it stays fresher longer. Everyone is different in terms of what they like to do. I can usually get to the grocery once a week though. You might not be able to do that.

You might also consider a delivery service if they have one in your area. Also, if you can drive to the grocery, could you sit in a wheelchair instead of walking around to conserve energy? I don't know if that would help.

Finally, I have to suggest Vitamin D3 if you aren't taking it. Jam educated me about it, and for many of us, we are deficient. You might want to be tested to see if you're deficient as well. For the past five years I've been so low energy and now that I'm taking Vitamin D3, I'm finally getting enough energy to do things like, hey, go to the grocery! It's not a magic bullet for everyone, but if you haven't been tested, I highly encourage it. Just something to consider; I feel like I'd be remiss in not mentioning it. Hope this helps.

Take care,

Erika
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I think Smokie Bones brings up a great point regarding the Vitamin B supplementing. *I recently learned that it's important to be blood tested first to see if you're deficient in these vitamins before you supplement. I should have been clearer about that in my response too. Otherwise, you could be getting too much of the vitamin, which isn't good and you could be wasting money too.

If you ARE deficient though, this will be valuable info and you can start getting more energy! Glad Smokie Bones mentioned the Vitamin B also because if you're deficient in that you'll be feeling more tired then you should be.

Feel better,

Erika
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Linda - Do you have any family or friends close by who would be willing to help you with grocery shopping? Is there a local grocery store who does home deliveries for seniors and people with medical conditions? One of your neighbours? A local church group who do community services?
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Erika - People with CFS tend to do well with supplementing Vitamin B12, however, we don't usually have a deficiency, so therefore, testing would be of no value to us. Supplementing with B12 isn't to fix a deficiency state, rather it is to supply extra B12 to scavange for Nitric Oxide. For that we need much higher doses of B12.

As long as we aren't getting more than 150 mg of B6 daily, long term, extra B vitamins are usually considered safe.
  12. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Most grocery stores in our area (not Costco & Walmart, but Safeway, IGA, etc.) will take a phone-in order & pay by credit card OR pay cash at pickup. If you can't drive to do the pickup, ask a friend, neighbor or relative to do that errand. Perhaps even someone at your church.

If you are a fussy shopper (as I am) but are able drive, shop at a store that has handicapped motorized carts. Ask a courtesy clerk to accompany you & place items in the basket as well as load stuff into the car. Then it's just a matter of getting someone to unload the car & put stuff away.

Thankfully I am plenty recovered these days & can shop for hours at a time. My current record is 7 hrs. but I did pay for that the next day. I say this to give you hope, that sometimes you can make progress on these DD. But I do well remember the days of using the motorized carts to get my shopping done.

Best wishes.
  13. 28years

28years New Member

Try calling your local churches (even if you don't belong to one). They often have a lot of out reach services. They might have some one who will shop for you for free, or know someone reliable who will shop at low price.

For me:

One church drives me to doctors appointments for free and a different church recommended a women to food shop for me. She costs $25 a trip-- so I just get food once a month.

It's surprising how long many foods last.

Good luck!!
  14. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I feel for you as I cannot go grocery shopping. Too much pain. Don't have any recomendations other possibly freinds.
  15. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I know that the "Harris Teeter" in my area (Charlotte, NC) has a system where you can order your groceries online. They will get them for you, bag them, and have a special area to pick them up. They'll load your car also. If you don't have a Teeter in your area, call your local grocerya and see if they have anything like this. If not, after you explain your situation to them, they may work something out with you.

Good luck!
  16. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Thank you LindaJones for asking this question....I thought I was the only one not able to leave the house for things like that!!

There are alot of good tips here, but there are times that even thinking about the energy it takes to get a shower, get dressed and drive there is insurmountable!

I have asked neighbors and family - but their patience seems to be wearing thin as of late. I will have to look into the on-line shopping in my area. I live in Pennsylvania.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2009]
  17. 28years

28years New Member

18. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Linda,

Here is what I did. I googled the name of my town and the word "errands". To my surprise, I found several people who run small businesses where they do errands for people. Their rates were around $10 an hour, which was worth it to me at the time. I might not use them every time I shop, but they would be really handy for shopping for heavy items.

All the businesses I found do other types of errands, too. One lady took my recycling to the recycling center for me. One bought other necessities for me.

If you live in a small town, try the nearest big town for errand-doers.

Forebearance
  19. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

Perhaps just call your grocery store and ask if they have someone to shop for you? Maybe even deliver for a fee?
  20. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

thanks for all of your responses
    I found a lady who helps people with grocery shopping
    she also takes people to doctor appointments
    I did a google search and put "errands" and the area that I live in