Groovy Nails

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by retrogirl, Jul 28, 2003.

1. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

Wondering if anyone else has this problem.I have indentations running across my finger and toe nails.Is this a sign of some deficiency or something? I can't imagine I am deficient in anything 'cause I feel like I'm taking everything(lol)

Susan
  2. Seagull

Seagull New Member

I have very pronounced nail ridges that run lengthwise on all my nails. I would be interested in knowing if this indicates a deficiency, too.

seagull
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Vertical ridges can be hereditary or they can indicate anemia.
    Horizontal ridges are called Beau lines. They indicate either an injury to the nail bed, or an illness severe enough to periodically stop nail growth. I have severe Beau lines on my thumbs ever since I got fibro, and believe that fibro can do this, since I also notice my hair growth periodically slows way down. It's easy to see, since I color my hair. Sometimes I have to color every 3 weeks, sometimes I can go 8 weeks. Nails and hair grow together, so that is a good way to see if this is your problem.
    I don't know of any solution, sorry.
    Klutzo
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Well I have FMS/CMPD/OA and I have nails that have Ridges, and also chip easily.
    I have developed a Digital Muscus Cyst, and it's apart of the OA, but I also have knot's that are from the CMPD.

I have never been able to wear nailpolish, it chipped to much and it showed the ridges in the nails. ugly.

Haven't found anything to help it, so far.
    If you do please share,
    Sincerely,
    sharon
  5. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

I've had ridges in my nails for years. (Verticle) My nails are very very strong though. I could grow them amazingly long if I didn't bite them. A nail tech once told me that the ridges in people's nails are a sign of an unbalanced diet. But I've been checked out and my diet is fantastic. I work very hard to make sure I eat right. So I guess what I'm saying is I have no idea. lol
  6. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

He says it is common in people with FMS. We also tend to have nails which chip, split, break and peal in layers. They also tend to all break at the same time. He says this is usually when the unhealthy part of the nails which started during a flare grow out.

My nails have been much healthier since being on the Guai. They are long and strong.

Love, Mikie
  8. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

Most of my nails have verticle nail ridges. I vividly remember Dr. Cheney saying that it is a side affect of CFIDS. He always checked my nails during my appointments.