Gross 25 of Men Don't Do THIS ... Is Your Man One of Them??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 9, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Remember ... The single most important thing we can do to keep from getting sick and spreading illness to others is to clean our hands. With our immune systems compromised, we need to practice good hand-washing habits, as well as remind our families to do so, too. Summertime is not the season for a lot of colds and flus, but germs don't really know what season it is!! LOL We need to do what we can to help stay as healthy as possible.

Gross! Fully 25% of Men Don't Do THIS ...............

The next time your man wants to hold hand, think twice about that. Although 91 percent of American adults say they always wash their hands after using public restrooms, the reality is that just 83 percent actually do so, according to an observational study of 6,336 individuals conducted by Harris Interactive for the American Society for Microbiology and The Soap and Detergent Association.

The surveyors staked out men's and women's restrooms at six public attractions in four major cities: Turner Field in Atlanta; the Museum of Science and Industry and the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago; Grand Central Station and Penn Station in New York City; and the Ferry Terminal Farmers Market in San Francisco.

When broken down by gender, 90 percent of women washed their hands, but only 75 percent of men did so. But when 1,013 American adults were surveyed by telephone and asked if they always or usually wash their hands after using a public restroom, 97 percent of women and 96 percent of men said they did. They lied.

Among those who were observed, fans at Atlanta's Turner Field had the worst hand hygiene habits with 26 percent not washing up after using the facilities. Broken down by gender, that's 37 percent of men and 16 percent of women. The greatest gender disparity observed between women and men was in New York's Penn Station where 92 percent of the women washed their hands, compared to only 64 percent of the men. The best were in San Francisco's Ferry Terminal Farmers Market where 88 percent washed their hands and only 12 percent did not.

More fun facts about hand washing uncovered by the telephone survey:
    --83 percent wash their hands after using the bathroom at home.
    --77 percent wash up before handling or eating food.
    --73 percent wash after changing a diaper.
    --42 percent wash their hands after petting a dog or cat.
    --21 percent wash after handling money.
    --32 percent wash up after coughing or sneezing.

The single most important thing we can do to keep from getting sick and spreading illness to others is to clean our hands. "Good health is within reach," said Brian Sansoni, vice president of communication at The Soap and Detergent Association. "Washing with soap and water is still the gold standard when it comes to removing dirt and grime from our hands. But if soap and water are out of reach, hand sanitizers and wipes are great hygiene tools to have on hand."

2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My hubby doesn't wash after sneezing, using the bathroom, handling money... I don't know about if he washes it before he handles food or not, to be frank. I know he does after he pets the neighborhood cat.

I'm constantly washing my hands, though.

Hubby won't use a hand sanitizer as he says they are flammable.

Love,
    Faye
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, my man is a real stickler for hand washing!

He is the administrator of the county Health Department, so he works a lot with public health administration. He was also trained as a health inspector.

So, our grandchildren were instructed on proper hand washing techniques at a real early age!

His first question when they ask for something to eat is "have you washed your hands?" After they go to the bathroom, he actually listens to see if they turn the faucet on to wash their hands. He will ask them when they get out of the bathroom, and when they tell him yes, they've washed their hands, when they haven't, they look so guilty that they can't stand it and they get upset, stomp back into the bathroom, and do wash their hands!!

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I know some ladies may be a bit disgusting...but if the public bathroom is gross, I may not wash my hands either.

BUT..I always have a plastic bottle of anti-bacterial in an outside pkt of my purse to use just as I walk out the door.

Otherwise I'm one of those clean ladies who washes (well) dries my hands then wipes the counters with my paper towels before throwing them away.

Nancy B.
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I taught school with 35 women and the bathroom was gross there. You would think a bunch of women would be cleaner. My husband is pretty good but he has yet to learn how to replace toilet paper! Lynn