Gross Circle Dry Patch on The Side of Lips

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HppeandMe, Mar 5, 2006.

1. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Hi Guys-

I have posted about this once before but I see it starting to happen on the other side as well. I have a dermatologist appointment but not until almost the end of March. My body is failing is everything else going to fall apart too? What is this? How many of you have it?

I am also going to post over on the Lyme board to see if anyone has it there. Usually most people can't tell your sick. Now I am beginning to look sick too.

Too much for me...
    Thanks!
  2. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I went thru that for most of last year. The dermatologist Dx'd it as cheilitis, which simply means an inflammation of the lip area.

I was on just about every type of cortisone/steroid ointment made. Nothing really seemed to help; even had injections in the corners of my mouth. The dermatologist even admitted he was pretty much stumped as to why it wouldn't clear up.

In passing during one of the visits, he offhandedly mentioned that this was something that could be seen in scurvy, but in this day and age it was almost impossible.

I remembered from grammar school that English sailors were called "Limeys" b/c they brought limes aboard to ward off scurvy -- a disease/disorder you can get from lack of vitamin C.

Nothing had worked for almost 10 months, so I took it upon myself to take mega doses of vitamin C. Know what? It did work!

I'm guessing that I must have had some major Vit C deficiency b/c I was taking LOTS of C for weeks and it never bothered my stomach -- didn't even change the color of my urine. In the past when I've taken it, I would pee bright yellow (sorry, gross, I know).

Long story short, the crud around the edges of my lips finally cleared up. It may have just run it's course... or it may have been the vitamin C... who knows? I'm just glad it's gone!

Mar
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

You could probably put a really good moisturizing cream--like Cetaphil--on it 3-4 times daily until your dermatologist appointment. Maybe that might help--but you are probably already doing that!

Janet
  4. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I am currently taking to Vitamin C pills a day. I am not sure what the mg's are but it has not yet helped. Thanks a gain!
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I used to get sore, red, scaley patches at each corner of my mouth. I finally realized that I was reacting to the bit of toothpaste that stayed in the corner of my lips after I had brushed my teeth. I now rinse off the outside of my mouth when I am finished brushing and no longer have the problem
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

toothepaste can do it, you could even be sensitive to your toothepaste. I can only use certain brands now.

but I get those and they turn into painful mouth cracks when I eat if I don't get some humidity into the air in the winter. You probably have forced air heating and it sucks the moisture out of your house air. You can boil water on the stove or plug a kettle into the room you are in the most, if you don't have a humidifier or vaporizor yet. It will tide you over until you do, and will tell you real quick if that's the problem.

Certain B vitamin deficiencies can cause mouth sores too. Do you take a good B complex?

Jeanne