Ground flaxseed vs. flaxseed oil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Jan 10, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Which is better, I was told by the owner of a health food store (she also uses the flaxseed oil) that flaxseed oil is more pure than flaxseeds. I have tried both and couldn't tell a difference between the two but the price I pay at the health food store is a big difference. The oil is very expensive. Anyone know which one is really better?
    Thanks, Vicky
  2. Jude

Jude New Member

When I used flaxseed I preferred the oil. ProHealth has a flaxseed capsule that is about one inch long and I didn't have any trouble swollowing it. They look like a large bug but, to me, they smell so good that I actually wanted to take them. I no longer take them because I am using the guaifenesin protocol and flaxseed capsules would be a blocking agent.

Jude
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

I use ground flaxseeds, about 4 tablespoons most days. I buy the whole seeds and grind enough for a week, so I know it's fresh. I prefer it to the oil because the ground seeds give you a good fiber source in addition to the good things from the oils in them. Just my 2 cents.

Beth.
  4. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Because of the process the seeds go through. You have to pay for all that labor. I would think the seeds were a cheaper and fresher source of the Oil, because YOU do the processing!! Fibromiester

(Oh, but the oil is more concentrate!) :)[This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]