GROWING PAINS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Treca, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Treca

Treca New Member

I was wondering if anyone else and very very bad growing pains while growing up?

I had them so bad that my parents would have to massage me almost every night just so I could get some sleep. Mine only lasted about 3 years and after that I didn't have them so bad and they just tapered off.

Also, if you had them what would you describe your pain as?

Mine was a strong deep steady ache. Thats the only way I can describe it. It was so long ago and of course at that age it is so painful to one so young.

It's so sad to say that I truly can't remember what it use to feel like to be completely pain free and take no meds. I try to remember my life before this and try to remember what my life was like before this dd came to my body and I can't remember.

I try remembering an event in my life before this DD and try to remember what it felt like during that event and I just can't remember.

Sorry for the change in subject. It just got me remembering when I was younger and my life as it is today.

So feel free to ramble all you want like I just did...LOL :)

Take care everyone!
    Treca
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Treca,

I don't remember ever having growing pains but thought I would bump you back up to the top for responses.

I'm sure that was a terrible thing to deal with.

Take Care,

BlueSky555
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, I had terrible growing pains. Just the way you described, strong, DEEP, steady, ache. So did both my children. Daughter always had signs of DD and was DX in Junior High School. Son had some signs but never Dx. and healthy overall. Theirs were so severe, I would get in warm bath with them, and hold them and let them fall asleep in there, then wrap them up and cart them into bed. Used to give them Tylenol, but knowing what I know now, I wish I hadn't given them Tylenol and wouldn't anymore.

Tylenol depletes Glutathione and can cause liver failure.
  4. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I did. I remember my mom and dad not believly me that they were so bad. I was quite athletic as a kid and I remember not wanting to tell other kids how much the growing pains hurt during sleepovers. I didn't want anyone to think I was wimpy. The pain was always at night and it was a deep bone ache mostly in my hips and legs.
  5. Txslady

Txslady New Member

I don't remember having growing pains as a kid but I seem to be having them now, I am 35. I started Forteo for osteoporasis in 1/2006 and about March the pains started, docs think it could be growing pains. I have a new bone scan in a month or so if it shows growth then I will say they are growing pains if not then I guess it's just the fibro.

SHannon
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Based on your description I think I am having them now too but I am growing out instead of up!
  7. KerryK

KerryK Member

I had them growing up just as you described. I believe there was an earlier thread on this topic. A lot of FM sufferers reported having these pains. I think they are an early warning sign of what is to come later.
  8. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

Sever pains in calves I can still remember what they felt like!
    Much as to what you have described. I had them for a few year from the year of 6 thru 8.5 years old.
    I guess they were not just growing PAINS!!
    Blessings
    Michelle
  9. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

yeah, i had them. but i know other people who had them but do not have fibro. not sure they have anything to do with fibro.
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

quite a few sites on the subject. In reality there is no such thing as growing pains and never was. Something DOES cause the pain and the doctors need to find out what's going on. Many with FM/CFS later on had them growing up. Mine were worst in my shins and legs in general. It's just a catch all name when they don't
    know what it is and don't want to investigate to find out!
  11. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I had them just about every day.They hurt almost all the time when I was young.

I was told that its just growing pains.

Today I get sever charlie horses at night just about every night,Than the muscle on that leg hurts all day.

I take soma as a muscle relaxer but its not helping.

Sue
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I had them when I was little and they went away around 12 .
    Then they hurt when I had my periods.
    They came back with these DD"s and hurt so bad at times.
  13. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I had really bad ones too or at least when I complained about leg pains I was always told they were growing pains. I still have them... only I stopped growing 20 years ago! I also had terrible headaches as a kid too, much worse than "normal".

2 of my kids complain of leg pains a lot too. All of my kids get terrible headaches and complain of other body pain, mostly backaches. My son is the worst about having pains, almost daily he has something. My oldest has the worst headaches and my middle child has insomnia.... have to admit I am soooo afraid I've passed on something to them.

Sincerely
    JL
  14. jole

jole Member

They were so bad. My mom would also massage my legs with alcohol at night as I cried. The massage didn't really help, but her closeness made me feel better :).

It's the very same kind of pain in my lower legs and thighs that I have now.

Friends - Jole
  15. Treca

Treca New Member

up and down my legs and in my upper arms. Mom or dad would do a deep massage and I cried it hurt so bad, but having my parents there close to me did help and I would slowly drift off to sleep while they massaged my legs or my arms.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was just curious who had had them or still does for that matter.

I always thought that it was a weird thing when I didn't do anything to have the pain in my legs and arms. It just kinda showed up at night.

I'm really glad I don't have them anymore.

Thanks again guys!
    Treca :)
  16. starmom

starmom New Member

I remember laying in bed crying b/c my legs hurt so bad. As early as 5 or 6.

It is possible for the bones to grow faster than the ligaments and tendons, but this primarily is during growth spurts. We discovered this when my oldest went to the orthopedist at 9 for severe pain in his upper calf and the bottom of his heel. He got special heel inserts that helped cushion things.

My youngest son has very bad knee aches. The docs keep saying it is growing pains and won't give a referral to a rheumatologist for kids.

Same for my dau, only she is now having really bad leg cramping. She was in hte pool for about 3 hours yesterday and couldn't walk last night or all day today. Our doc is driving me crazy with not giving referrals. She has LOTS of symptoms of this DD, but as she is 10 the doc thinks it is "her perception of pain" and not real pain.

What on earth does "her perception of pain" really mean, except that the doc doesn't want to deal with her???

Anyway, we all seem to have had them.

Susie