Growth Hormone and CFS, FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Jan 18, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

Growth Hormone Deficiency and the Chronically Ill

Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD) (Table 3) occurs in patients with pituitary tumors, trauma, and post-surgically, comprising approximately 50% of the total etiology of GHD. I submit that the remaining 50% is associated with chronic inflammatory diseases, characterized by immune system dysregulation, adrenal dysregulation and hypercoagulation state.

The GHD symptom complex can occur after a chronic illness and has been studied extensively in relation to CFS, FMS, rheumatoid arthritis, and other diseases. The concept of anoxia caused by the immune system activation of coagulation with infection cytokine excess and vasculitis contributes to the decline and dysregulation of HPA axis.

Table 3. Manifestations of Adult Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD)

· Disturbed lipid pattern · Decreased exercise capacity
    · Abnormal body composition · Defective sweat secretion & thermoregulation
    · Excess weight and central adiposity · Increased tone in the sympathetic nervous system
    · Impaired glucose homeostasis · Decreased bone mineral content
    · Impaired fibrinolysis · Decreased activity in osteoclast precursor and proliferation and differentiation of osteoclasts
    · Impaired cardiac functioning · Problems with sleep quality
    · Reduction in arterial distensibility (esp. carotid artery in women)
    · Decreased social contact and stiffness
    · Low nitric oxide levels, contributing to atherosclerosis
    · Significantly more health issues than others of sex/age
    · Premature atherosclerosis
    · Major risk factor in CHF and heart disease and premature death

There are several similarities between the symptoms in fibromyalgia and GHD, and the two conditions are somewhat interrelated (Table 4). A working definition of fibromyaligia (Figure 2) is that infection releases toxins, causing liver cells to produce cytokines including interleukin-6 (IL-6).

The cytokines interact with nerves that travel to the brain which signals down the spinal cord, causing amplified pain signals.

Three cytokines, IL-1, IL-6, and IL-8, cause severe widespread pain, fatigue and disturbed sleep. IL-6 is related to fatigue and impaired concentration. TNF alpha activates hypothalamus corticotrophin releasing hormones (CRH) and releases IL-1 that does not stimulate the pituitary or adrenal glands.

Treatment of GHD should only be initiated once infections are cleared, as acute infection can be detrimental. It is my clinical experience that treatment of GHD has minimal risks. In actuality, for chronically ill patients, GHD replacement therapy imparts great psychological, psychosocial and cardiovascular health benefits. The treatment adds greatly to quality of life and to maintaining a healthy life style. Benefits of growth hormone replacement therapy may include:

Reduction in body fat mass
    Increase in lean body mass
    Increase in total body water
    Table 4. FMS/GHD At a Glance

-GH deficiency occurs 30% of patients in some studies
    -Muscle Weakness
    -GH treatment shows significant improvements in trigger points
    -Fatigue-low energy
    -Low IGF-1 levels in FMS -Decrease Exercise capacity
    -Disturbed circadian rhythm of cortisol -Social isolation
    -Response to GH took 6 months and patient experienced global improvement -Poor general health
    -Central pain state: up regulation of N-methyl-D-asparate (NMDA) receptor at spinal synapse -Cold intolerance
    -Dysregulation of substance P -Impaired cognition
    -Sleep disturbance abnormal stage 3 & 4 (when GH is not secreting) -Dysthymia
    Decrease in body mass
    Reduced IGF-1
    Decrease in 24 hr GH secretion
    Response to GH treatment

Oppose the action of insulin on adipocytes
    Increase in fat mobilization by hydrolysis of triglycerides into glycerol and free fatty acids
    Stimulate fatty acid transportation from adipose tissue to the liver
    Inhibit FFA re-esterification by adipocytes
    Increase whole protein synthesis for the first month then returning toward baseline with a new steady state
    Increase body nitrogen and total body potassium
    Antinatriumic effects - salt and water retention GH and IGF-1 (synthesized in the heart) are expressed in the heart. Rate is based on maturation, neural differentiation, neuro-potential and energy metabolism (mitochrondial)
    Increase in oxygen consumption and cardiac output
    Increase in B-endorphins in cerebrospinal fluid, which may improve psychological well-being (IGF-1 receptors are located in all regions of the brain, and GH receptors are located in the choroid plexus, hypothalamus, pituitary, and hippocampus)
    Increase in net conversion of cortisol to cortisones, by inhibiting the activity of HB- HSD Type I
    For thyroid, T4 replacement shows no change in GH function
    There is a reciprocal relationship between cortisol and GH secretion
    Reduce coronary and cerebrovascular disease
    Reduce premature deaths
    Reduce osteoporosis
    Increase quality of life, which reduces depression, fatigue and pain
    In summary, growth hormone deficiency (GHD) needs to be evaluated in patients who, after the primary etiology is diagnosed and treated, still exhibit symptoms of other illness. Based on my clinical experiences, patients who exhibit symptoms of chronic infections, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, dementia (depression), and a hypercoagulation state all need to be evaluated for growth hormone deficiency.

SELECTED REFERENCES

2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have a demonstrated GH deficiency. When the level was graphed, as there is a graph which demonstrates how levels do decrease normally with age, mine was so low that I would have been 104 to have it.

They repeated the test. Ditto.

Bennett in Oregon did the testing, on the orders of Thomas Romano, one of the Rhemys which came up with the diagnosis criteria.

They couldn't believe the first level, so they repeated it. I told them I could have told them I felt that old without the testing.

I was referred to Harvard, where they have an excellent program to treat adults with identified and verifiable GH deficiency.

At the last minute, I received a call from the Endocrinologist in charge notifying me that they could not treat me because I had a melanoma some years ago. Melanomas are squirrely, aggressive, and highly unpredictable and there have been accounts of them being attributed or encouraged by GH administration.

However, these reports were associated with individuals who took GH for other than defined GH deficiencies.

They wouldn't even agree to give it to me if I signed a waiver.

For individuals who do take it, with demonstrated deficiencies, it often improves their lives immensely.
  3. darude

darude New Member

thanks for the info. too bad you couldn't take it.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

It pretty much mirrors my treatment path. I spent a 1 1/2 treating infections and building immune system back up, then fixed the sleep ... so to speak. I started my last treatment phase this past fall and injecting GH was part of it.

After three months I definately see improvements. I can't wait to hit the famous "6 months mark"! I also fall into the 30% category of greatly helped individuals .... for stupid reasons went 6 days without my GH and every ugly symptom I ever had came rouring back. Took a week back on treatment to get level again.

Many don't realize the huge immune system benefit GH provides. During that stupid break, I actually started the beginnings of an UTI! Thank goodness for cranberry extract capsules and health food store quality cranberry juice!

Thanks again for posting this. It said very eloquently what I have been touting for a while now.

Elsa

5. darude

darude New Member

I HAVE to check into this as I have a pituitary mass as well