Growth horone, pituitary problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IngaDinga, May 23, 2003.

1. IngaDinga

IngaDinga New Member

Actually, this endocrinologist has flown in from Kansas to start practicing with my Lyme doctor one week of each month. It seems that they believe there is a link between pituitary gland problems and chronic infections/immune problems.
    She suggests I have a growth hormone stimulation test. She said that since I already have low TSH and testosterone this is proof of my pituitary not functioning properly.

The tretment is Cortisol(very low dose), thyroid meds, testosterone (she said it would make me really interested in sex ... oh man....) and growth hormone.

Any thoughts on this? Sound quacky?

2. KayL

KayL New Member

No way does it sound quacky. I recently had the stimulation test. I was seeing an endocrinologist and he ran quite a battery of blood tests for all the hormones, and the one that was not in normal range was the IGF-1 (HGH).

The stimulation test is not covered by all insurance companies and is quite expensive. I had to battle with mine to get it covered, plus getting the lab that the blood samples are sent to covered. The test takes around 3 or 4 hours, you have an IV with arginine and blood samples are taken every 30 minutes.

The test showed that my pituitary gland was indeed working and it did produce IGF-1 hormone. However my IGF-1 level is still low, and the doctor believes it is due to insufficient stage 4 sleep over a period of years.

There have been a lot of discussions on the board about IGF-1 and growth hormone; if you do a search you'll find plenty to read.

Karen
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I think your doctor is one smart cookie! I wish I did not have to drive so far (1 1/2 hrs. each way) to get the sort of help you are getting.
    My IGF-1 test was the only one that was in normal range, but just barely.
    A large study at Brigham and Women's Hospital(Boston) proved that FMS patients have a dysregulated hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal axis. In some of us it was up-regulated, and in some it was down-regulated. I believe the difference was due to the differing stages of adrenal exhaustion.
    Cortisol and Armour Thyroid are the right treatments here. I am avoiding the testosterone because of the potential increasd heart risk (and I really don't want to be a horndog!). I have a friend on testosterone who says it increases her energy a lot...she is married to a man who is 14 yrs. younger than her, so she needs it!
    Keep us posted on your treatment.
    Klutzo