Grrr......today I really wanted to smack someone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aquabugs, Jun 12, 2006.

1. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Just when I think peoples' insensitivity can no longer surprise me, someone comes along who just takes the cake!!

I try not to use my handicapped placard unless absolutely necessary because there are a lot of people out there who have it a lot worse than me. But I have been having a tough couple of weeks with no relief from the pain and grinding fatigue. PLUS my doctor prescribed the handicapped parking for me.

I put off buying groceries until I just HAD to go to town and shop (We were totally out of toilet paper LOL) So I decided to go to the local Supercenter and get groceries and household supplies.

I was already tired and it was 98 degrees. I knew that by the time I was finished shopping I would be REALLY hurting and exhausted so I decided to find a handicapped spot so I wouldn't have to trudge a half mile in the heat after the shopping.

The place was very busy and I finally found someone getting ready to leave a spot, so I put on my blinker and waited for them to load up and leave. I sat there over 5 minutes before they even got in the car. Just then, a white pickup pulled up facing me.

I waved at the lady driving and pointed to the space and then to myself. She continued to sit there. As the driver was backing out of the spot, the truck pulled up and blocked me from getting the space, then pulled into MY parking place when it was vacant. I was steamed, but I remained calm.

As I passed behind the truck, I rolled down my window, held up my placard, and CALMLY said to the man getting out of the passenger side, "You know, I waited for that spot for quite a while."

Dumb me, I always think the best of people until they prove me wrong. I thought perhaps they didn't really understand that I was waiting on the parking space. I guess I expected what I said would make them at least apologize. WRONG!

The man looked at me with pure hatred and yelled at me,"You with your placard, why don't you get out of that car and we'll see just how handicapped you are!!!"

I said,"You can ask my six doctors...." He screamed again, "Just get out of the car and we'll see how handicapped you are!! Get on down the road!"

My mother was with me in the car and we were both stunned at the attack. I realized I was not dealing with a rational person. I told him he was "the end orifice of the digestive system" (Not in THOSE words) and drove off in search of another parking spot. Ten minutes later I found one.

Needless to say, the shopping experience was totally horrible after that unexpected stress. Pain pain pain while I pushed the cart and lifted the things I had to buy.

Meanwhile, the jerk and his wife, who I had seen walk into the store with no canes or particular difficulty, took up two of the motorized carts. The last time I saw them, they were checking out with their loaf of bread and a couple of cartons of cigarettes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I just cannot adequately express my loathing for people like him!! I was truly appalled that he judged me like that.

Thanks for letting me vent....

Sylvia
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

so unfair///and not right of how low some people go...

you remind me i need to get my crutches back in my car...i end up on those every now and again...

and if you had some you could've said i havea crutch for you buster....

well sorry...for you experience...i have my handicapper too...and i try to park elsewhere if i am having a good day...or a better than usual one...

jodie
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Grrrrrrrrrr

You should have checked to see if he had a handicapped placquard or a handicapped license plate. Then, taken down his license tag number and immediately upon entering the store, go to the customer service area and ask them to announce that that truck must move from the handicapped parked area immediately. I would have made a big deal about it to the cust. serv. rep.

... or call the police dept on your cell phone, or the store's pay phone, and report it illegally parked!!

4. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

and he had a brace on one leg. But for him to just steal the space and be so mean about it.....grrrrr

For all he knew, I could have had no legs!

I just hope he has as much pain as I do. Someone as hateful as him deserves it!!
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

I would like to have some yellow tickets to put under windshield wipers.......they would not be legal (ones with fines) but a printed reminder that they are being watched and how bad others need those spaces.

I had that happen before, where I waited and had my signal on that I was going to turn and park there.

Another one that galls me is when I can barely walk and I aam heading for a rest room stall and I am close to it with my hand out, ready to grab door......and someone runs in and around me and grabs the door and goes in. A couple of them laughed as they thought they were so clever and cute.......

6. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

how rude and insensitive some people can be. I see that happen all the time. I don't have a handicapped thingy, and half of the people around here (in my town) that have them don't deserve them. They can get around just as well or better than I can, but they do that sort of thing all the time. I try to be nice, considerate and morally decent to everyone, but for someone to do you like that just burns me up!! His day will come!! I believe that you get back what you do to others.

I also loved your descriptive choice of words in the post. I'll have to try and remember that one. I'd better write it down somewhere though.....
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

What an awful experience.

I don't know where you are from but here in Massachusetts what happened to you is considered "assault". Even though he did not physically accost you, if he put you in fear you were "assaulted". ("Battery" is the second part; where they actually hit you).

So technically he committed a crime and could have been arrested.

However it sounds like you said he didn't have all his marbles so you did the right thing not to pursue it with him. If you could have got the plate number you still could go to the police and have him charged but knowing that type he probably has a buddy or two on the force who would cover for him.

Personally I hope he tries the same garbage on somebody else and gets the you know what kicked out of him.

He will get his someday (or probably already has!)

Hope your day is better today.

(((((((Hugs))))))
    Michelle