Guafenisin for CFS/fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dobrydy, Jun 8, 2006.

1. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Does anyone know whether guafenisin works for CFS? My son does not have fibro, just very severe CFS, with extreme fatigue, cognitive difficulties and constant low grade fever.
    Have anyone used guai for CFS? Please share your experience.
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Dee50 is using it, I know, and others are trying it. My son has CFS as well....how old is your son? Do you know how to fill in your bio? It would help us in answering your questions...just basic information. How long has your son been sick? We have not tried the guai, but I'm always interested if I think it will help. He has the fatigue, but right now, is suffering more from his chemical sensitivities. We live in farming country, and the farmers have been spraying, which has been getting him down. It's really frustrating, isn't it?? Terri
  3. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Dr St Amand, the doctor who has developed his Guaifenesin protocol over the last 30 years, believes that fibromyalgia & CFS are the same illnes. So yes, it is well worth your son trying this if he's interested. The less time he has been ill, the sooner he should reverse his CFS symptoms.It is not a cure, but a treatment.

I have a diagnosis of both fibro & CFS, am making slow but steady progress since starting last August. I can do more now than before, & don't become so tired. However, it's not an easy option - the correct dose makes your symptoms worse as the phosphates leave your body.

In order to understand this, it is absolutely essential to read Dr A's book 'What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia'. This is so that you can find your correct individual dose, and also so that you can avoid salicylates - these stop the Guai from working.

There is an online Guai Group with a message board & a list of sal free toiletries etc. Do be careful to buy a recomended brand of Guai - they don't all work. The ones sold in the store here are fine.

4. dkdwwd

dkdwwd New Member

What is Guai? Someone else just recently mentioned it to me but I don't quite understand. Anyone feel like filling me in?
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

You can do a search for the Guaifenesin protocol in the library here. It is a treatment for CFS / FMS devised over 30 years by Dr St Amand & his nurse who both have fibro, as do their children.

His theory is that we are genetically unable to rid our bodies of phosphates, & that it is therefore stored in our body cells, causing all of our many horrible symptoms.

He discovered that taking Guaifenesin (& avoiding salicylates as they use the same kidney receptors as the Gauifenesin) allows our bodies to rid themselves of the phosphates. This takes about three months for every year that we've been ill. It's not easy as the correct dose makes our symptoms worse as the phosphates leave our bodies. Some of us here are having success with the treatment. The Guai has to be taken for life, otherwise the phosphates start to build up again & our symptoms return.

The Guai is available in the store here. The key to understanding this demanding protocol is Dr St Amand's book 'What your doctors may not tell you about fibromyalgia'.

There are on-line Guai groups in both America & the U.K.

6. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Anyone else actually tried it and did it help? Please give me your feedback.
    We tried just about everything under the sun. I just do not want to make him take more pills if it is not likely to help.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have discussed this topic a lot here. Also, the Guaidoc website has a ton of info. The Guai treatment has been a God send to me.

Love, Mikie
  8. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

CFS patients (no FM) anyone used it?
  9. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I tried guaifenesin for fatigue when my symptoms were at their worst. I could barely get my kids to school, do one load of laundry and pick them up. Since I have extreme reactions to tiny doses of medications in general, I tried about 25 mg. a VERY low dose. I got worse fatigue, like I was expecting, and it lasted for a few weeks. Then, one day, I felt WELL, almost a normal amount of energy. It only lasted one day, but it was my best day in probably over a year. (at that time)

Unfortunately, it hurt my stomach horribly. I had to stop, but I do feel it's worth a try for fatigue/CFS. Diane
  10. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Fifteen years ago my primary doc rx'd guaifenesin to take at amounts of about 1200 mg. to 800 mg.daily. This was very important for me because at that time, several of my major symptoms were sore throat, asthma, sinus and nasal congestion. The flares ran into one another..I would no sooner recover from one bout and then come down with another episode. It was as though I had a severe, ongoing flu and head cold. (I had all over muscle pain-- fibromyalgia--too..but I wasn't so debilitated by the fibro as I was by the chronic fatigue and respiratory symptoms..which I now regard as chronic mononucleosis or chronic Epstein-Barr virus.)
    Anyway, the use of guaifenesin has been extremely helpful all along to thin and loosen the phlegm and mucous which I believe is the body's ongoing reaction to a chronic inflammatory condition. I still take 800 mg. of guaifenesin daily. I don't take the Mucinex, because I don't like the dyes in it and I believe the dye bothers me. I have found a low cost proprietary version of the drug store chain I get my medications from. It's a fraction of the cost of Mucinex.
    I hope this information is helpful. I realize we are each different and are dealing with our unique situations--I only report my experience and don't expect others to agree.
    With love, Dorothy
    P.S. I also like St.Amands book about Fibromyalgia although I do not agree totally with some of his thinking about the etiology of these syndromes of Fibro and CFIDS.[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]
  11. gladone

gladone New Member

Honora, it is my understanding that your Guai should not come from sources such as Benylin or Robitussen as most cold-cough suppresants have other meds in them (ie; decongestants, cough supp., pain control ect.) as well as the needed Guai.

Best to by plain old Guai

As for dobrydy, I am on the Guai protocal and I suffer from CFS as my main problem and Fibro as a secondary. I have been on the treatment for two weeks now. I have started to have my downs (worsening of symptoms). I have yet to have the up's.....I am much looking forward to them. Altough my Doc has told me that there is a small portion of us who do not find releif with the protocal or give up due to the lenghth of time it could take.

Good luck,
    Gladone

12. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Hi, I'm on the Guai Protocol since 3/8/06. I have CF-EBV/FM no the guai is not helping with my fatigue yet but I think the Metanx Rx and fish oil I'm taking are helping with the fatigue. The guai is working on many parts of my body at the same time I've got a long ways to go on this protocol as I've been ill for many years with fatigue as one of my main problems. I think the Guai will help with the fatigue down the road. It helped with the brain fog within the first week I started Guai. I'm on the Guai for life it is not a quick fix deal.
    Take care,
    Dee50
  13. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

anyone else? everybody's responces are read and greatly appreciated
  14. janieb

janieb New Member

I started the guai a little over 3 weeks ago. Ordered it from the store on this site. Purchased the 400 mb of Fast Acting, which Dr. St. Armand now approves. After one week of taking 800 mg per day, I went to 1200 per day. After 3 weeks I began to have a really bad day. My husband had to help me out of bed and every joint ached. The next day wasn't so bad, but the following day was flu like symptoms.

I'm on the guai to stay. It's been 15 years, but what do I have to lose?

Good luck.

janieb