Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tigerlily0677, Oct 22, 2011.

1. tigerlily0677

tigerlily0677 New Member

I've been reading alot about this Guafenison (not sure I'm spelling it right). Does anyone know anything about it?
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

The Guaifenisen Protocol (I abbreviate it Guai) is most likely what you are talking about. I started the GP about 3 or 4 months after being officially diagnosed with fibro, and it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with getting rid of pain. On the pain scale, I went from a 10+ down to a 0 to 2 on most days, as long as I don't push myself. If I push, I do have the possibility to have a flare and have pain, but it's nothing like before when I was in horrific pain 24/7 every single day for no reason at all.

Indeed, like what you have read, one does feel worse before feeling better when first starting the Guai Protocal. That was a drawback, but I can't believe the results now. The earlier into one's fibro diagnosis one starts taking the Guai, the less time you will feel worse, so for me thankfully, that wasn't long. I've been taking Guai for 7 years now. I'm also not sensitive to the salicylates (found out by accident), so that makes it easier for me. Technically, that means I'm not really doing the Guai Protocal, but the Guai really zaps the pain. Exercise and fish oil are the two other things that help me a lot. Hope this helps you.

All the best and good luck,

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia," by Dr. St. Amand. It explains everything. This isn't an easy protocol to understand nor to abide by but the results can be amazing. Like everything else, it doesn't work for everyone. I recommend sticking strictly to the protocol in the beginning. Later on, one can determine how sensitive one is to sals (explained in the book). This protocol requires patience and commitment.

I was bedridden most of the time and on Morphine for pain when I started the Guaifenesin Protocol. I don't take anything stronger than an OTC NSAID for pain now. I got well enough to work part time but had to quit when I acquired Sjogren's Syndrome. I can't give Guai all the credit for my healing but it played a key role in it. Everything I have done has worked synergystically with my other treatments.

The beauty of the Guai is that it reversed the FMS symptoms, allowing me to concentrate on healing my CFIDS/ME. Now, I'm starting over to figure out what to do with the SS. Many of us have more than one immune/autoimmune illness.

Good luck if you decide to do the protocol. Even if you don't, the book is a wealth of information regarding FMS.

Love, Mikie
  4. swollen

swollen New Member

Guafinsen I can't spell either, but I know what you are saying guafinsen is a expectorant and is found in robotussin but it also aide in body aches, because most of the time when you take robotussin for a chest cold most of the time you have chest and body pain. And most doctors prescribe it to people who prefer a non- narcotic pain reliever. I have some but just about to start taking it because I have no more gabapentin until the end of the week.
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Tiger Lilly, yes, definitely get the book Mikie recommended. It explains everything very well and helps so much. It is important to follow everything as directed to see if you can be successful on it.

Jam, I tried following everything to the letter but accidentally goofed. As you know, there are many salicylates to avoid, and I accidentally used a shampoo that contained one for a few weeks and had no interactions with it. I got more daring and tried a few other products with the sals in them and had no problems there either.

Tiger Lilly, as you can see, there are people (like me apparently) who are not "sal-sensitive" and don't have to worry about interactions, but one can never assume that in the slightest, so be sure to check your products for sals if you start the Protocol. When buying Guaifensein, be sure to get it in its pure form. ProHealth sells some as do a few other places.

All the best,

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For the 11 years I've been on the protocol. I only take 400-800 mgs. a day now as a maintenance dose. I recommend the fast-acting Guai to start until the dose is arrived at. It's less expensive than taking it in OTC meds which contain other ingredients. Taking DMX, which is in a lot of those meds, isn't considered safe on a long-term basis, although the debate on this continues.

Now that, for all practical purposes, my FMS symptoms are reversed, I'm not nearly as sal sensitive as when I was starting out. This is good because I don't have to worry about watching what I use. For me, this treatment has been a miracle. I have other conditions but the Guai has allowed me to work on healing them.

Love, Mikie