Guai Apples and Noah's Oranges

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tibbiecow, May 28, 2003.

1. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Noah stated a while back that he was on Anne Hillebrand's guai program which would mean that he is talking about a completely different guai protcol than what has made so many of us here better, which is Dr. Paul St. Amand's guai protocol.
    I for one am considerably better.
    Noah, I am sorry that Anne's program did not work for you and I would bet that you probably would not want to pick up Dr. St. Amand's book and read it, but that is what we are all talking about.
    Tibbie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have rehashed this so many times, but here goes once more. First, you are relying on one source: Dr. Bennet's articles about the Oregon study. Even first year college students would recognize that the study was so fatally flawed as to be worthless, yet Bennett continues to try to disprove the Guai treatment using this study. You are doing yourself a great disservice by limiting your info to one source.

Second, Anne was banned from this website twice for coming here to promote her regimen which included using Ephedra. Anyone can make up her own website and tell the world that she was helped or cured, but that doesn't mean it's true or that it would work for others.

Third, you are never going to be guaranteed that any treatment will work for you. We all have to try things to see what will work for us. Even if we lined up 100 people who derived benefits from the Guai treatment, it would be no guarantee for you. None of us here ever asks for a guarantee that treatments will work which help others because we all know that what works for one may not work for another. We come here to tell what is helping us, but it is up to each of us to take responsibility for trying things ourselves. If you don't want to try the Guai, fine, but you cannot expect others to give you a guarantee; it just ain't gonna happen.

Finally, no one, including Dr. St. Amand, has ever said that the Guai is a cure. There is no cure for FMS at the present time. If you are looking for a guaranteed cure, you most likely will miss out on a lot of things which might help you. Most of us who have gotten better are using a multi-faceted aggressive approach. The Guai is only one of my treatments, but it has been one of the most important.

I hope you find what you are looking for, but with such a narrow focus, you are really limiting your options. In fact, if you demand a guaranteed cure for every treatment, your options right now are zero.

Love, Mikie
  3. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I really appreciate that you still have an open mind about this.
    I do not know very much about Anne Hillebrand's program, except that you are supposed to take a decongestant.
    In Dr. ST. A's program, you:
    1)Must avoid physical contact with all salicylates, which all plants produce naturally. You must also avoid all herbal supplements as well, although you can cook with , say, garlic or ginger or rosemary, etc. This means that you cannot use mint flavored toothpastes, aloe in any skin care or shampoos, etc. It takes a long and concerted effort to become "sal free" because there are literally sal's everywhere, in most sunscreens, cosmetics, etc. and any sal will out-compete the guaifenesin for the receptor in the kidney and RENDER THE GUAI USELESS!!!!
    2)Have better results with a doctor, massage therapist or chiropractor who "maps" you. People with fibro have painful lumps and bumps throughout their bodies in their muscles. I didn't know I had these, but my doctor's experienced hands found mine. Yeeeoowch!!! These bumps have shrunk and disappeared from a whole bunch, all over my legs and back and neck down to a mere three little tiny bumps on me in the last year. Believe me, my doctor still palpates vigorously, and last summer something was blocking me (see sal's, above), and some of the bumps came back.
    3)Not everyone has the same dose. You find your dose by starting at 300 mg for a week or so. If you feel worsening of you symptoms, this is your dose. If you don't, go to 600 mg. Most people stay at each dose for two weeks. When you feel crappy, that's it. This means that the guai has released the phosphates from your system and your kidneys are eliminating them. After a while, you will have a good day, or a half day, feeling better than you have in a long while. This is where you get the proof that "it is working for me". But it will cycle back through the yuck again and again, until your "bumps" are gone.
    Look up Dr. St. Amand on the web for more info, if you like. You really do need the book if you want to follow up on this. Once again, using mint toothpaste would render the guai useless.
    I hope this helps.
    Tibbie
  4. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member