Guai GroupHow Are Ya Doin'??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmh, Apr 23, 2006.

1. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Guai Group...just checking in.

I've been cycling big-time. So achy in the shoulders and low back/hips. My feet hurt for the first 10-20 steps when I get up. All of my joints hurt..ankles, wrists, elbows (ouch!), shoulders, and often wake me up at night. My heels (on the bottom, the part you walk on), ache at night and wake me up. I have to walk on them to get rid of the pain. I have had a few good hours, but not many. To clarify, most of this pain was normal for pre-guai, but is amplified with the guai.

I know that the pain is good, though...what a funny thing to say! I am so encouraged by the success stories of those on the Guaigroup on the Fibro Treatment website.

Please let us know how you are doing! I look forward to hearing from you.

Blessings, Ann

1200 mg FA Pro-Health Guai, 3X/day
    Soon...going back to 1200 mg LA Pro-Health Guai, 2X/day
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sorry for your pain but glad you are cycling. At least, you know it's working.

I'm recovering from my trip to Atlanta. I fly for free non-rev standby and I was lucky to get seats on the first flights both ways. I got business class on the way up and an exit window seat on the way back. I appreciate the extra leg space. It's only an hour and 40 mins.

I woke up really early on Sun. and couldn't go back to sleep. I napped off and on all day. Last night, I slept like a log and woke up feeling well. I cooked breakfast for my neighbors who are leaving for Boston for the summer. I hate to see them go.

My grandson was pure joy. I keep thinking I couldn't love him more but every time I see him, I do. He does wear me out because he's big and I'm not used to being around a baby/toddler. Heck, I'm not even used to being around people all that much. I'm still a wee bit off my game today but I'll catch up.

My hugs, love, and prayers to all the group. Hope everyone is doing well.

Love, Mikie
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Mikie! Thanks for your nice note. I am tall (6'!) so I like the extra leg-room, too. You are lucky to have free flights, but from what I understand, sometimes they are hard to find.

Oh your time with your grandson sounded like so much fun! I have 2 in college, so up to now I just have a grand-dog! But when the time comes, I'm looking forward to grandkids. I hope you are back to normal in short order.

I have a question...is ZMA OK? I think so, and have started taking it. I'm trying to replace my prescription meds with ZMA for sleep. So far, I've only tried it for 2 nights, and am 50-50 (one night of pretty good sleep, the other not so good). I think I may keep taking it anyway if it doesn't block.

Thanks for your prayers, too. I have been having a rough go, but know that I'm on the right track.

Have a good day, Mikie....love, Ann
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Been on this guai stuff for years and am not better. Yes, I watch all the salicylates.
  5. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

hiya Ann and Mikie!

Good to see you both on.

OMG I did it! I started sat. I am taking 400 fa guai every 4 - 5 hours. I stop at midnight and start at 8am taking them again.

WOW think I am cycling today. My hips ar elike crap can't barely move!

What I am going to have to watch is what is the guai pains and what is arthritis. I may have gout so have to go get checked for it. I have alot of bad arth in the hips and neck and well now big toe hurts like hell lol. But I think I should see a pattern of this.

Glad you are back and all is well Mikie.

Sorry fibroman that it has not worked for you but did you really loose anything by trying? As ihad originally told the gals here wtf is 6 months out of my life for trying when I have had this for 25 years already? Not only that if it does not help I know I did it and can g oon to the next option, as should we all. But you are not going to find the road to recovery without first trying things and seeing where it takes you.

HAGD Brenda
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ann, I had one formula of ZMA block the Guai. When I checked the package, it mentioned it was made from veggies. It is the SMAC formula and it should work like the ZMA sold here, but it isn't the same. The ZMA sold here doesn't block the Guai for me.

Fibroman, again, I am sorry if the Guai isn't working for you. I can't remember--what dose are you taking? Perhaps if it were upped or a different form of the Guai were tried...Sometimes, people have only taken enough to maintain where they are at. When they stop the Guai, they realize that it was doing something and that increasing the dose will bring on the cycling.

Brenda. Wow, I hope this is cycling and not arthritis or gout. The Guai helps my osteoarthritis even though it's not supposed to. Claudia said it helped hers too. If you end up having to take gout meds, they would likely work like the Guai does if you avoid sals. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

Geez, I'm still tired and am going to go lie down for a bit and hope I feel up to washing my clothes from the trip. I need to download my pics and make a DVD of Andy jumping like a little frog in his jumper. I taped it with the camcorder. I did hang my beautiful new clock up and it looks just like a designer touch. It has an ornate bracket and hangs. It is double faced and looks antique. I got it sooooo cheap at a little shop in a small Southern town in West GA. If y'all don't get Ballard Design catalogs, check out their website if you like unusual decorating. Their things are pricy but I have found all kinds of similar things, including this clock.

Love, Mikie
  7. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi everyone...good to hear your reports!

Brenda...way to go! As Mikie said, hopefully it is cycling and not anything else. I understand from friends that gout is really painful. Just a note on your guai...I asked a question about soy on the Fibro Treatment website, and one of the administrators questioned my use of only FA guai. I was taking 400 FA (Pro-Health) 3X/day. She said that Dr. SA doesn't ever put people on all FA guai and only adds it to LA if over 1200 mg is needed. She referred to some people who have thought that they were cycling on FA but instead were not or if they had been on guai a while, were actually going backwards. Because of that I am switching back to PH LA 600 mg 2X/day. Don't know if this applies to you...

Fibroman..I'm sorry if the guai didn't work for you. To me it seems like the only treatment out there that can reversthe symptoms. I have tried just about everything else, so here I go. I hope the best for you that you will find a different guai or something to help you.

Mikie...your video and decorating sound fun (the nap, too!). I get the catalog that you mentioned, but have never really looked at it...I'll look more closely from now on. And thanks for the ZMA advice. I'll stay on it.

I just returned from the pain doc. She is concerned about inflammatory arthritis as every joint hurts. We'll see what the regular doc says in a couple of weeks. Now I'm going for that nap. Thanks for your replies.

Blessings, Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2006]
  8. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I got some Mucinex...the only kind I could find here. HOw much should I take every day? Is there anything else you can recommend?

Thanks.

God Bless.
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

In order to do the protocol, you must get hold of Dr St Amand's book 'What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia', otherwise you are wasting your money just taking the Mucinex.

You need to avoid salicylates, as they use the same kidney receptors as the Guai & stop it from working.

Your correct starting dose is 300mg twice a day. You then increase this until your symtoms are tolerably worse. That is your individual correct dosage.

Youe symptoms will be worse as the phosphates leave your body cells. Dr St Amand's website is called Guaidoc & has a link to the Guai group message board, which has a list of salicylate free products.
  10. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm doing good. I'll post when I've got more time, busy busy. Take care everyone. I'm using refresh plus for my eyes tons of burning and super dryness without it.lol
    I use ZMA for about 2 months it's not blocking me. I buy it here at ProHealth. I does help me sleep and it helps me not to get leg cramps.
    Dee50
    3/8/02 1200 MDR Guai:)
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's Tues. now and I am glad to see so many checking in. I keep everyone in my prayers and hope all continues to go well. I just reduced my Klonopin another quarter of a tablet (.125 mgs.) last night which brings me from 1 mg. originally to .75 mgs., or 1 1/2 tablets. I am going really slowly. I've increased my melatonin to 1/2 of a tablet from 1/4 of a tablet. I didn't get up til 9:00 so this may be too much. I'm very sensitive to the melatonin. I really helps me sleep. I'm still tired from my trip to Atlanta too. Travel is very hard on me, even short trips.

Unicornk, Smiffy has given you excellent advice. Preparation, including becoming sal free and knowledge of the Guai Protocol, is the most important part of the treatment. Failure often occurs due to sals and incorrect dose. The book explains everything and is an excellent read even if one doesn't do the treatment. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  12. I used to take it for sinue problems. Just the other day I was wondering where the few "good days" I used to have went, then I just realzied hey maybe it was the guai afterall working. So I may just give it a go again.

By the way Mikie, your grandson is adorable!
  13. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

hiya guys

Man I have been dreaming alot since starting the guai. Not sure why but has to be the guai I have changed nothing else in my routine.

Yes I have read that he mixes up t he LA and FA guain I remmeber that from the book, I had the new one but had to take it back to the library, but got the old one out again, and thing is when LA is $47 a bottle and FA is $20 something I have to get what fits the pocket book or I can not do this at all.

Hubby made less then $20,000 last year and without a green card I can not help at all. So we are where we are right now and the book does say as long as you keep the guai in your system and work on the dose after the first week if you are not cycling then you adjust after that first week, so I feel that everything will be ok. Sorry brain farted in the middle of the thought. ahahha

Anyhow GL Unicorn read the book get it from the library to save on money and make them order the new one. I also got claudia's book out too, not sure when I will read that but I have it anyhow lol!

TTFN Brenda
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That was so sweet of you. Yes, we all love the little guy so much. He is bright, funny, and almost always in a good mood.

Love, Mikie
  15. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi to all...good to hear from so many!

Brenda...I certainly understand finances...I have been there myself. I know that others are taking the FA only for the same reason. Hope you will do just great.

Dee...great to hear that you are doing good! Thanks for the ZMA info. I have the eye-burning thing, too, but had it before the guai, too. I have been using something for the burning, but it doesn't seem to help for more than a little while.

Unicornk..you have heard from two of the experts, Mikie and Smiffy. I hope that you will join us on our journey. It is so amazing to think that we can have a support group of people from all over the world!

Mikie...You are so patient with your Klonopin decrease. It teaches me that sometimes I need to be more patient with meds. I'm glad that you are sleeping, though. Traveling does the same thing to me...wears me out!

I am a teeny bit better today...actually was able to get some real office work done, things that used my brain! I have had so much pain lately that thinking was out of the question. It feels good to accomplish things and put them behind me. I am looking forward to starting on a quilt (my first), but I have to get my office work done first...good incentive!

Have a good evening all...I'll keep you in my prayers. Love, Ann
  16. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi Jane, I'm doing this with just the FA Guai too as I can't afford to import the extended release, the customs charges on top of the price make them too expensive.

I snap a 400 Prohealth tablet in half & take it every 3 hours to try to keep it in my bloodstream. It's not ideal but seems to be working O.K. - at present reverse cycling lower back pain (ouch).

Good luck everyone!

17. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I have decided to wait on the guai protocol. I take alot of herbal supplements and they help. I don't want to stop them just yet.

I thank you all for your replies. I got the book, and I am learning alot more about FM/CFS.

God Bless.
  18. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Jane...I totally understand. Good luck on your quest.

Smiffy...sorry about your back pain. How long have you been on guai? It says in your bio that it's helping...how long before it helped you? Thanks...Ann
  19. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

I is so dumb......... went to bingo tonight! Proud of myself fr walking down there, however just about died by the end of the night from over doing it....

that is when I had my brain fart! It was just so simple I just forgot! I ate some Jr Mints and OMG OMG OMG they were soooooooooooooooo good. I said to hubby why has it been so long since I have had these?? Then in the same breath I said OMG THESE HAVE SALSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHttttttt!

Almost immediately after I felt so ill it was not even funny. The room was spinning and I wanted to get sick and thought my head would pop off. WOOWOWOW What a reaction! Scary stuff.

Thhought I would share how easy it is to be stupid sighhhhhhhhhh... Oh well it happens and I have to watch it doesn't happen again unless I plan for it lol.

TTFN Brenda
  20. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Whoops! I've never heard the expression 'brain fart' before! Did you invent it?

Ann asked; " How long have you been on guai? It says in your bio that it's helping...how long before it helped you?"

I've been severely affected with CFS & FMS for nearly 20 years. I've been on Prohealth Guai since last August - before that, I was importing GuaiAid which did absolutely nothing for me. Then I found out that we have to use a product recommended by Dr A (all the Prohealth ones are).

In that time, I've gone from being almost completely bedbound to being able to do light housework & laundry, & even a little weeding & deadheading etc. sitting on a litle stool, as long as I pace carefully. I'm still mainly housebound but have a long time to go on the protocol before I'm fully reversed. My brainfog is not as bad.

The protocol is not easy to do, & the increase in pain etc. is horrible, but I have hope now whereas before I had only despair. I'm not an expert as the people who've had medical supervision with this are, but am so glad to have found out about it here! Good luck everyone