Guai Ladies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JTyre, Jul 3, 2006.

1. JTyre

JTyre New Member

I bought 400mg FA guai. Is it okay to start on 800mg? The pills are scored I could cut them in half but that would mean taking 200 in the am and 400 in the pm. How many hours apart should I take them? Starting on Wed.
    Thanks,
    Jackie
    Ps. How long/how many days will the enitial guai flare last?
  2. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi JTyre and welcome! I just started guai in March, so I am relatively new also.

From Dr. St. A's book and all of his findings, he recommends taking the long acting guai unless you need more than 1200 mg/day. There have been people taking the FA guai only and some have regressed or thought it was working and it wasn't. Do you have a copy of the book? The new edition that came out this year is vastly improved.

To answer your question about the flares...it depends as we all have individual reactions to guai. Personally, I cannot tell when I am cycling as I am in pain nearly all of the time. Yes, some hours are better, but I am fighting some kind of inflammatory arthritis, too (like Rheumatoid only it is unidentifiable at the moment). That may skew my results.

There are some wonderful long-term guaiers here who I hope will jump in. Isn't it wonderful to have a support group from all over the world? Also, have you signed up for the messages on guaidoc.com? It has been a great help to me, too.

Blessings to you...I keep all of us guai ladies (so far no men) in my prayers...Ann
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To the dose question on the other post.

Love, Mikie
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

what this is and what it is for ?How does it help?
  5. JTyre

JTyre New Member

How have you been doing on it?

I did get the book. Only on page 40 and have been skipping around a bit. I now understand how the guai works. I went out and bought new topical products. So I am all set to get started tomorrow.

Since I bought the 400mg FA I am just going to use it. I will cut it in half and take it 3 times a day. That way I am starting out on 600 a day. Next time I order I will get the 600mg LA. Have you tired Fibro Freedom?
    Take care,
    Jackie
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I would snap them in half (they break easily along the scoreline) & take them 3 times a day too. We all reverse cycle differently, so can't answer your question. You may not find any effects until you increase your dose to the one that's right for you.

As long as you follow Dr Amand's book ('What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia') to the letter, & avoid salicylates, reverse cycling should take you about 3 months for every year you've been ill. You then need to stay on your maintenance dose for life to avoid the phosphates building up in your body cells again.

Good luck with this Jackie, it takes a lot of courage xxx
  7. JTyre

JTyre New Member

Why does everyone and also the book say that you need courage? When this guai kicks in is it going to be that bad??
    I am in pain 24/7/365 so I really do not know what it is like to live w/out pain. 45 and I feel like I'm 80!

Since I found out about guai I have been hopeful. Like there is light at the end of this vey long dark tunnel I have been living in. I feel that my flare has been for the past 3 1/2 years but that my fibro actually started 19 years ago when I was in a car accident which caused severe whiplash.
    Take care,
    Jackie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Gaui flares should not be so bad that it makes you want to quit the program. That is why the book recommends 600 mgs. a day. Most people will cycle at that dose but won't have crippling pain; however, we are all different. There is a section in the book on adjusting the dose.

Only you will know when you have a Guai flare. For me, it just meant a little extra pain in my tender spots. Like you, I was in so much pain anyway that the Guai flare didn't bother me that much. In fact, I was elated to know that the Guai was working for me. I even had some rare good days in the beginning and, again, I knew the Guai was working.

I think taking 200 mgs. three times a day is a good way to start. Keep a journal and see whether you can find some patterns or answers. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  9. JTyre

JTyre New Member

Two items that were not listed, so can I assume we do not have to check ingredients to see if they are sals FREE?
    Thanks,
    Jackie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Nail polish is OK. The nails are dead and will not absorb anything from the polish.

Hair is dead too but the scalp may well absorb any sals in the dye. In the beginning, it is really important to follow the protocol as closely as possible.

I am one of those who can tolerate a few sals before the Guai is blocked. Even if one uses something which blocks the Guai, it usually only blocks it for 24 hrs. If that is something which is only used once every six weeks or so, it shouldn't matter that much.

Jude is the one who knows this stuff forward and backward and if she sees this, she will give you good advice.

Love, Mikie
  11. JTyre

JTyre New Member

I took the second dose at 1:30. By 4 o'clock I had a headache. I took the third at 5:30 it's 6:30 and I now have an intense headache. Hurt when you walk kind of headache. I guess that is a great sign. It's working at 600 mg a day. WOW I am so excited!
    Jackie
  12. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hair dye will block for about 24 hours, but it's only once every couple of months so lot of us go ahead & dye our hair anyway.

I understand that nail polish can block if you're not very good at applying it & get it on your skin (I'm ever so messy with it) but there's lots of sal safe brands.

13. JTyre

JTyre New Member

I thought I can avoid sals in everything BUT haircolor. Can't not use hair color. lol! Am I right girls--can I get an AMEN on that. lol!
    Jackie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I took a lot more of the Guai when I had these bronchial problems from the Red Tide and it did not cause a flare. At first, I used some Ben Gay on my chest to avoid a Guai flare. I stopped the Ben Gay but still took a lot of the Guai and no flare. There must be no stored crystals left to be pulled out of my soft tissue. I was surprised and thrilled. I take 800 mgs. a day to maintain and it seems to be working. Yeah!

Now, if only I could reverse the CFIDS...

Love, Mikie
  15. JTyre

JTyre New Member

I am so happy for you. Can't remember, when did you start taking guai? How long do you think you have been suffering from FMS?
    Congts!
    Jackie
  16. Jude

Jude New Member

Dear Jackie

Since you only color your hair every four to six weeks you would only be blocking for 24 hours if the dye has sals in it. Most of us go ahead and take our guai and expect to block for 24 hours. I have found that there are usually sals in the conditioner that is applied after the coloring more often than the dyes themselves. One day of blocking a month is no big deal. As for nail polishes there are sal free ones out there. As Mikie stated, the nails are dead, but I can't paint my nails without getting it on the cuticles or surounding skin areas. The one piece of advice that I would like to strongly suggest is to make sure that your toothpaste is sal free.

Jude
  17. JTyre

JTyre New Member

Everything from my head to my toes is sals free now(products.) I bought Tom's of Maine Apricot so I am okay other than the hair color. I will make sure not to use the conditioner that comes with it. Thanks for that tip.

Day two for me and I felt okay until the third does. Now I have pain at the bace of my neck and down my left arm. Knowing I am getting rid off all this crap makes it worth the pain. It's working and I am greatful for that!
    Take care,
    Jackie
  18. janieb

janieb New Member

at lease that's what I read when I bought mind from the store. It seemed to work for me. Milkie would now more about it, though.

Good luck.

janieb