Guai Ladies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JTyre, Jul 10, 2006.

1. JTyre

JTyre New Member

Well meaning friends are concerned about me taking guai. One frined is a nurse. Stating that is it robitussin and a narcotic w/ a possiblity of addiction. That kids are abusing it to get high! How should I explain or responsed to concerned well meaning friends.
    Thanks,
    Jackie
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

You could tell them that you are taking a pure form of Guaifenesin, not a cough or flu remedy that contains Guaifenesin amongst it's many other ingredients. I've taken 1800mg a day for a year now & have never felt high from it.

Most main stream medical practitioners have not heard of our protocol, & are not in a position to advise on it. Why not lend your nursing friend your book if she's interested?

In order to do this protocol, I personally think we have to trust Dr St Amand's 40 years experience in formulating his treatment (which he uses on himself & his children) & follow his book exactly.

He started off years ago having to use a cough mixture containing Guaifenesin amonst lots of other ingredients, as it was all he could get, but found that his patients had nasty side effects from the other ingredients. Robitussin is certainly not on his list of recommended sources of Guai.

I urge you to join your country's Guai Group message board Jacke, that you can access via www.fibromyalgia treatment.com as Dr St Amand's nurse gives advise on it.

-------------------------------------------------------

This is what I found about Robitussin, it's certainly not just Guai:
    Manufacturer: Wyeth

Active Ingredients: (in each 5 mL tsp)

Acetaminophen, USP........................... 160 mg

Chlorpheniramine maleate, USP............... 1 mg

Dextromethorphan HBr, USP.................. 5 mg

Pseudoephedrine HCl, USP................... 15 mg

Uses:

temporarily relieves these symptoms occurring with a cold or flu, hay fever, or other upper respiratory allergies:

headache · cough · runny nose · itching of the nose or throat · nasal congestion · sneezing · minor aches and pains · itchy, watery eyes · fever

Warnings:
    Alcohol warning: If you consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should take acetaminophen or other pain relievers/fever reducers. Acetaminophen may cause liver damage.

Taking more than the recommended dose (overdose) may cause serious liver damage.

Do not use:

if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs for depression, psychiatric, or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.
    with any other product containing acetaminophen as this may lead to an overdose. Overdose requires prompt medical attention even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.

Ask a doctor before use if you have

heart disease · thyroid disease
    trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland · diabetes
    cough that occurs with too much phlegm (mucus) · glaucoma
    a breathing problem or chronic cough that lasts or as occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema · high blood pressure

Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are · taking any other product containing acetaminophen, or any other pain reliever/fever reducer

taking sedatives or tranquilizers

When using this product

do not use more than directed
    marked drowsiness may occur
    alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
    be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery
    excitability may occur, especially in children · avoid alcoholic drinks

Stop use and ask a doctor if

you get nervous, dizzy, or sleepless
    pain, cough, or nasal congestion gets worse or lasts more than 5 days (children) or 7 days (adults)
    fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days
    redness or swelling is present
    cough comes back or occurs with rash or headache that lasts. These could be signs of a serious condition.
    new symptoms occur

If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.

Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. Prompt medical attention is critical for adults as well as for children, even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.

Directions:

do not take more than 4 doses in any 24-hour period
    do not exceed recommended dosage. Taking more than the recommended dose (overdose) may cause serious liver damage.
    adults and children 12 yrs and over: 4 tsp every 4 hours
    children 6 to under 12 yrs: 2 tsp every 4 hours
    children under 6 yrs: ask a doctor

Other Information:

each teaspoon contains: sodium 4 mg
    store at 20-25°C (68-77°F)
    alcohol free

Inactive Ingredients: citric acid, D&C red no. 33, FD&C yellow no. 6, flavor, glycerin, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, sorbitol solution, sucralose

How Supplied: Bottles of 4 fl. oz.

3. Jude

Jude New Member

Dear Jackie

Pure, single ingredient guaifenesin is not a narcotic. Robitussin is not a narcotic. Sometimes guaifenesin is marketed with other ingredients which make it unsafe for long term use. However, we use the single ingredient guai. Well meaning friends often give advice without fully understanding the protocol. I have never heard of nor seen one single case of someone using guaifenesin to get high. Perhaps she is thinking about the drug Pseudoephedrine HCI which is used in many sinus and cold preparations. For instance people were buying Tylenol Sinus in bulk to get the Pseudoephedrine HCI to make meth. That is why we cannot buy Tylenol Sinus without signing for it and showing a photo ID. We are also limited in quanity. That is why it is also behind the counter now. It is a pain to go through all that just to get something for your sinuses because people were making cheap drugs with it.

Jude
  4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Jackie....your friends are probably well-meaning and concerned for your health. I, too, have had friends wonder about my sanity with this program!

I am not at home but believe that there is a section in Dr. St. A's book for doctors/professionals that explains the protocol in their language.

I always tell people that it is the ONLY treatment that consistently reverses the symptoms...not for everyone, but for some. I have tried nearly everything without success, and decided that I wanted to stop the downward spiral. I have only been on it since March, but am hopeful.

I wish you the best...and loaning them a copy of the book might do the trick.

Love and blessings, Ann
  5. JTyre

JTyre New Member

You are right. I should lend them my bookl but I do not want part with it. I am about 1/2 through it. My borther-in-law is a Chriopractor and I am going to buy another copy and have him read it. He gets a lot of fibro patients. I would like his opinion. You know Chrio's they do not like to take medicine so I am anxious to see what he thinks abou this. I am trying it. It feels like my last hope. This week I am uping my dose from 600mg to 800mg.
    Take care,
    Jackie
  6. JTyre

JTyre New Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

I decided to re-check the new products that I bought (Sals FREE) I bought Dry Idea roll on unscented. Unscented was not on the free sals list. So I re-checked the ingredients. Zea Mays, Tall grass (cornsilk) that's a no no right? Also bought Infusium 23 shampoo for colored or treated hair. It's on the okay list but I also bought the conditioner and that is NOT on the okay list. Eventually I will have all sals free products. lol!
    Take care,
    Jackie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really have nothing more to add to the excellent responses you have received except to add one more voice to dispell the confusion your friend has regarding the Guai treatment. Guai is one of the oldest and safest meds around with very few side effects. It's only when it is combined with other ingredients in popular cough meds that there is a problem with side effects.

Love, Mikie
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I thought corn silk was OK, one of the C.R.O.W.s. I've been using Bare Escentials Minerl Veil that's made from corn. Can anyone help here please as I'm in temporary accommodation & my sal safe product files are packed in boxes somewhere.Thanks!

Anyone know a sal safe way to lighten naturally dark (not stained)teeth please?
  9. Jude

Jude New Member

Dear Smiffy

Your Bare Essentials is OK to use. Corn is one of the crows and will not block. Personally, I havn't found anything over-the-counter that works well for whitening the teeth. I was far enough along in the protocol that I decided to have mine done professionally. I just decided to block for a short period. My teeth are white but not movie star white. I'm happy with them.

Jude

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2006]
  10. JTyre

JTyre New Member

Here is the definition of Zea Mays. It is an ingredient in unscented Dry Idea roll on. Is it sals FREE?

A genus of large grasses of which the Indian corn (Zea Mays) is the only species known. Its origin is not yet ascertained.

tall annual cereal grass bearing kernels on large ears: widely cultivated in America in many varieties; the principal cereal in Mexico
    Herbal-cornsilk
    Thanks,
    Jackie
  11. Jude

Jude New Member

Dear Jackie

Zea Mays is the kernal part of the corn. The kernals do not block. If something were made with the stalk part of the plant then that would block. The part that confuses me is the word herbal at the end of your sentence. I do not use this type of deodorant. In order for me to say that it is sal free I would have to see every ingredient as listed on the bottle including inactive ones. Most deodorants that have zea mays in it are usually OK.

Jude
  12. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thanks Jude - that's very kind.
  13. JTyre

JTyre New Member

I checked all of the ingredients on the Dry Idea. The only one that was not on either list was Zea Mays. So if you say Zea Mays is not a blocker than I'll go with that.
    Thanks,
    Jackie