Guai protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clerty, Apr 16, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

I tried to start this last week and failed I have been really unwell I know the protocol can make you feel unwell but I just could not cope with the terrible migrains and pain so back to the drwing board again I am thinking about antivirals as I have EBV has anyone made an improvment on these

Clertyx
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

HOW MUCH WERE YOU TAKING ? SOME PEOPLE CAN CYCLE ON AS LOW AS 300MG A DAY SHAKE IT OFF AND IN A WHILE WHEN YOUR FEELING BETTER TRY AGAIN CHARLENE
  3. clerty

clerty New Member

and I was ok for 3 days then OMG my face pain was unreal with migrain the book said that 600mg is the recommended
    dose I think it has sent me into a bad flare Inow have a urine infection and migrain.
    did anyone get like this on guai?and how long did it take to feel a bit better?

Clertyx
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

600 might be too much for you there are some people taking 300 so dont throw the idea out yet i was a lucky one i felt better after i hit 900mg not worse hugs charlene
  5. clerty

clerty New Member

I am not too sure now what to do I will have a rest !!!

clertyx
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

You have started at too high a dose clerty. I't's essential to stick rigidly to the instructions in Dr St Amand's book 'What your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia'. You could give yourself a break & then start again following these instructions from Dr A's nurse;

"There is a specific way to find your dose of guaifenesin
    When you start guaifenesin, the proper way to begin is with 300 mg twice daily. You should remain at 300 mg twice a day for one week. If you feel distinctly worse within a few days of starting your guaifenesin, you have started your reversal and there is no need to change your dose.

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t feel any differently during this first week. The fact is that the vast majority of patients don’t. Six hundred milligrams a day will only reverse Fibromyalgia in about 20 percent of people, according to Dr. St. Amand.

At the end of the first week on guaifenesin, if you have felt no differently, you should raise your dose. The correct way to do this is by moving up to 600 mg twice a day, or doubling the dose you started at.

Dr. St. Amand has his patients stay at this higher dose for three more weeks. Again, a worsening of symptoms indicates that you have begun your reversal. If this is the case, you would stay at this dose, and not change it. Roughly 50 percent of patients start reversal at this level.

Let’s say you’re one of the 30 percent of people who hasn’t felt any worse after a month on 1200 mg of guaifenesin. It’s normal to be afraid that this is just another treatment that isn’t going to work for you, but you should just raise your dose to three pills a day. At this point it’s highly likely that your symptoms will exacerbate. Only 10 percent of patients will need more guaifenesin, and will have to raise their dosage still higher, to 2400 mg a day.

Once you find the dose that causes your symptoms to escalate, there’s no need to change it. All you have to do is continue to take guaifenesin. Your symptoms should cycle – that is, get better and then worse, better and then worse. Like a bouncing ball, they will get less dramatic, and good periods will become more pronounced. Eventually you should have all your symptoms under control. "

It sounds as if you're a low dose, fast responder (wish I was!). Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  7. clerty

clerty New Member

and thought myself that 600mg was far to high for me what do you think I should cut it down to then 400mg a day

Clerty
  8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

You could even start at 200mg a day as you are a low dose responder (the 400mg tablets from here snap in half) & build it up very gradually. UTIs are not side effects of Guaifenesin.
  9. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Clertyx...so sorry about your migraines and FM pain. I have migraines, too, so I really understand. Some people have had success with fewer migraines while on guai.

What kind of guai are you taking? The long-acting (LA) or fast-acting (FA)? Dr. St. Amand recommends the LA until you get up to a dose of 1200 mg. Some people get hit really hard with the FA.

Are you on the fibromyalgiatreatment.com web board? It is a wonderful source of encouragement and information. If you have questions you can post them and get answers directly from the administrators who work with Dr. SA. By the way, he has never had anyone clear on less that 600 mg/day of LA guai.

Again, I hope things improve for you. This protocol is the only thing that I have found that works for most people. I have been on it over a year, and am a little better. After trying nearly everything else I could find, I am encouraged!

Blessings to you, Ann