Guai protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi All,

I am about to start the guai protocol but feel very scared of the fact that you have to get worse before you can get better.

As some days are better than others how can one tell if they are on the right dose?

Want to hear from people who felt scared to start it, what their experiences have been, how they are doing on it and any advise they might have.

Thank you

Shazzy

2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I just want to wish you Good luck with the Guai, and that it will help you get the relief that you are needing.
    sincerely,
    sharon
  3. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

You should raise your dose till you feel *slightly* worse. You do not have to get to the point where you are raising pain or any other sx to an intolerable level. Just enough to know you are at your *cycling* dose. It might only be a day, or couple days. If your slightly worse period is too much, by all means, back down on dose for a while and then go up again later. I noticed the better days long before I could discern a worse day ... as in I would just kind of become aware of the fact that I didn't have a particular SX anymore, or that I had a long string of good days.

I even skip doses if I'm having a hard time. I think I am doing very well on guai, but it is not the only egg in my basket. I also take meds for sleep, etc. Even though I am pro-guai, I think it is not a stand alone treatment. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. I do know, when I've taken guai breaks, I feel a whole lot worse overall, and that's my proof. Good luck, and keep us posted! Hugs,
    Hayley
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I assume you have read Dr. St. Amand's book. It tells how to tweak the dose until you get to what is the proper dose for you. The only time I had a severe flare from the Guai was when I went from 1200 mgs. to 1800 mgs. I had to back off and try again later. Second time, there was no prolem.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. Ipegasus

Ipegasus New Member

Hi there,

I have been on Guai for over two years and I really believes it helps. It is true in the beginning it is hard but no worse than a regular flare-up. I made sure I started when I had time to be in bed but by the time I started it was regular to do that anyways. Follow the protocol. If you read the book you can subscribe to their website, last time I checked it was so long, it is really popular but there is a lot of medical help. You have to watch the salictates or you will block the effects. I have blocked a few times. It controlled IBS and Asthma, my flare-ups are less severe. The best part is being able to walk more with less pain. I still flare when I do to much but two years is not a long time. I stopped for six months and all of my old problems are coming back. I just started back the beginning of the month when I realized my IBS was causing me to develop an intestinal infection. DUH! I lost some faith because I was just diagnosed with Lupus, it killed my enthusiams some but I am back on the protocol.

At low doses I was able to get medical coverage but once I hit 600mg twice a day my insurance said forget it. Stupid of them but I buy it from a site reccommended by St Armands site and the service is very good. Good luck, it attacks the worst of the problem but it doesn't reverse damage already done. It is best to start young but my father just died at 58 yrs old from IBS problems, he never liked my giving him advise and it killed him. So the sooner you start the better you will feel.

Good luck,

Pegasus
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And a large percent of profits from the sale of products here goes to research and advocacy.

Love, Mikie
  7. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I started end of Feb. and was also frightened I might get so sick I wouldn't be able to work but, hasn't happened. I have had more fatigue, depression returned and pain was worse and I have gone to a md with Kaiser who gave me the guaifenisen and now seeing another Kaiser md who is helping me with pain and sleep. I already was using a cpap for sleep apnea, but wasn't taking anything for my restless leg, so I am now on antidepressants, which gave me the momentum to excerise regularly and lose 30 lbs, I go to CURVES and the work out is quick and no pain. I'm also using klonopin for RLS and small dose of trazodone for sleep.I think my going on the protocol has been a blessing in many ways, because I was getting older and my aches and pains were not getting better, and I've always wanted to live and not have to deal with all these things. LOL. So I am again working on my symptoms and this will either help make me function better or I'll die trying. Never Give UP. Love Nancyb16
  8. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Thanks for your replys. I will keep you informed how it is going once i start it.

Shazzy
  9. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

GO VERY SLOWLY!!! you can always up dose....

Good luck.
  10. caring

caring New Member

I'm new with the treatment as I started Aug 1st of this year.

I do relate to your fear as I too was afraid I would get so bad I couldn't move as my pain was great. This was a last resort treatment for me.

I started at 300 2xday and then went to 600 2xday. What I've noticed different is not the pain change, I don't think it has increased or decreased.

Mine is emotional change, yes I got worse. But reading the book and the Dr's site I understand that it effects your worse symptom first and that is my worse. Having that knowledge and knowing that it's going to get better helps me bear it.

I don't know if this is any help or not but if you have been lead to this treatment maybe it's what you are to do.

Sometimes we must take the leap of faith and the fear goes away.

take care
    caring
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope you start noticing some positive changes pretty soon on the Guai treatment. If you have to make another increase, it might be wise to just increase the morning does. As one gets into the higher doses, it can really bring on a flare when the dose is increased. Keep us updated and good luck to you.

Love, Mikie