Guai slowdown?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by linkjendal, Aug 24, 2005.

1. linkjendal

linkjendal New Member

I have been on the Guaifenesin protocol since early May (four months). During the first two months I noted a lot of changes but haven't seen much change in the last month or so. I take 2,000 mgs twice a day. Is my situation normal? Should I go even higher on the Guai (it doesn't bother me in any way)? Or should I just wait for positive changes again? Any thoughts?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That there are some sals which have gotten into products you use? That could account for it. The dose you are on is fairly high, so you should be continuing to get results.

As time goes on, the flares decrease in severity and the good days increase. You say you aren't seeing much change. Does this mean you are in more pain, having fewer good days, cycling less? Could you please be more specific? It might help someone here to be able to help you.

Love, Mikie
  3. linkjendal

linkjendal New Member

I've never had much in the way of cycling. If I do cycle (?) it's fairly mild increase in pain and extreme fatigue. Fatigue hasn't been a terrible problem in the past, only muscle pain. I keep a pain diary and a rough map of "bumps". I still have some bumps on my face that are half the size they were originally with no change in at least a month.

When I first started Guai I experienced extreme runny nose for two months. I noticed bumps of long standing went away very quickly and that bruises resolved in a few days as opposed to several weeks. That was amazing as I have always bruised easily. The bad pain in the front of my thighs and trapezius muscles (very bad) went away in two months. This was a very obvious change but I still have pain in other areas.

I took every known source of salicylates away at the beginning of the treatment. I have used the same products since that time. I suppose some products might have added some type of salicylate that is not shown on the label but I'm very committed to banning salicylates.

Sorry to run on but I really want this protocol to work for me. Thanks for any advice you can give.
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Manufacturers change their ingredients all the time - if increasing the Guai dosage does nothing,perhaps you could re-check everything that you're using? (are you gardening or doing housework without gloves?) best wishes
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that there was a lot of easing of the pain and the tender spots decreased rapidly. Now that that has happened, the rest may just go more slowly. We are all different. I know that my progress was not linear on the Guai. Sometimes, it went better than at other times.

You could increase the dose and see whether that brings on a flare. If not, I would suspect that you are especially sal sensitive and that hidden sals have creapt into your regimen.

Best of luck to you. BTW, go to www.guaidoc.com and e-mail Claudia. Tell her just what you have told me here and ask her for help. She usually answers within 24-48 hours and she is very helpful.

Love, Mikie
  6. linkjendal

linkjendal New Member

Thank you for the information. I have e-mailed Claudia.