Guai Treatment & Flaring

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So many have asked about the Guai treatment here and those of us who have benefitted from it try to answer questions. I've posted here that I'm about 90 percent reversed although I still have CFIDS which for me, is the more debilitating.

I've mentioned too that even though I seldom have to take anything stronger than OTC pain meds now, if I get injured or sick, the pain can come back. I now find myself in a painful flare and I'm sure it's stress induced due to my daughter's current health situation. For the first time in ages, I had to take a Vicodin this afternoon and ice my leg. If the pain is still bad at bedtime, I will be taking Morphine for it.

The Guai Protocol isn't a cure but I thought that once I got to this level of reversal, I would not have painful flares. I seldom do, but it's still possible. I wanted to let others know about this because I'm afraid if they have a flare well into the Guai treatment, they may believe the treatment is no longer working. The flares I have had from injury, getting sick, and stress have been short lived.

Evidently those old injured soft tissue tender points can become inflamed again from various triggers. Interesting.

I still believe the Guai treatment to be a God send as I would likely still be bedridden most of the time and on Morphine most of the time had I not done it. I just wanted to post to let everyone know that it isn't perfect in the spirit of sharing info.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think this is important info for anyone on the Guai treatment.

BTW, the Vicodin did the trick but today, I am hung over from it and tired. I've rested all day to conserve my strength so I can help my daughter when she needs it.

I actually got a bit high from the Vicodin which has never happened before. I'm wondering whether this means I'm getting better. People with chronic pain usually do not get a high from pain meds. Perhaps it was just the absence of pain which made me feel high. In any case, I did not need the Morphine and the pain is all but gone today except for my tender points which are a bit...well, tender :)

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2006]
  4. marilynb

marilynb New Member

what is the guai treatment? I have a feeling it is guaifenasen but what dosage? I am having a very bad flare right now & the pain meds & muscle relaxers are just barely touching it. I need help fast.

BTW, has anyone tried accupunture? Does it work?

Thanks,
    Marilyn
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so very sorry that you are in so much pain. Unfortunately, the Guai (Guaifenesin) treatment isn't quick. In fact, it can take quite a while before it replaces pain meds and it causes some flares itself in the beginning. I've been on the Guai almost five years and am about 90 percent reversed. As you can see, it isn't perfect. When injured, sick, or stressed, I can still flare but most of the time, my FMS symptoms are under control.

If you go to the Guaidoc.com website, you can read about the treatment. Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia," is necessary to read before going on the treatment. The treatment requires patience and commitment. Still, it is about the only treatment which offers the possibility of reversing the symptoms of FMS. The book explains how to tweak the dose so that the Guai is working as it should.

If, after looking into the Guai treatment, you have any questions, there are some of us here who would be happy to try to answer them. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. darude

darude New Member

How does the Guai treatment work? What does it actually do? I tak Benedryl with Guai in it but probably not enough in there. When I first got sick I was FULL of mucous and found out later that I had a partially collapsed lung. Got rid of the mucous now but wonder if still in body causing pain.
  7. mariee

mariee Member

Hi Mikie,
    I have read your posts about the guai treatment, and I do admire you for being committed to the process.
    I had horrible exp. w. MS meds...so sick on them. The idea of herxing terrifies me. I know the outcome should be positive...but
    2 questions.
    1)How long and how sick are you w. herxing?
    I am committed to help some people right now, and would need to let some family members know I may not be at their disposal... ;)
    2)Can you take the guai... at a lower dose and still have a life and it would eventually be effective?
    How do people who work handle it?
    Thanks.
    And thanks for keeping this posted.
    Mariee
    PS I did check out guaidoc
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really think that reading the book is the best way to find out about the Guai treatment. The website is just a way to get an ideal about the treatment. I'll try to answer as best I can in this little space.

The Guai treatment will not work for most people unless the eliminate salicylates from their regimen. This means one cannot take anything with aspirin in it. Many of the products we use contain botanical extracts. Plants have sals in them so the treatment entails going through one's personal-care items and switching to sal-free products. This is much easier done than it sounds. This is the part where many say, "To heck with it."

There are sal-free websites and a line of products from Andrea Rose which help with this. Each time we buy new products, unless they are the Andrea Rose brand, we have to read the ingredients. Manufacturers change ingredients often. It is necessary to become sal free before starting the treatment. The plants we eat are OK; it's only highly concentrated botanicals in products that we must avoid. Eating mint, or using anything with mint in it, is about the only restriction for food. If one gardens, wearing gloves is a must.

The Guai works by allowing our kidneys to excrete the phosphate debris our cells produce when making energy in the mitochondria. Dr. St. Amand theorizes that our bodies are not able to excrete this debris and it gets stored in our soft tissue, producing pain and tender points. Many of us believe that the Guai must work for additional reasons, but the important thing is that for most, the treatment will work if one follows the protocol.

The Guai flares occur when the phosphate crystals are being pulled out of the soft tissue. If one starts out at a low dose and builds it up until there is a Guai flare, the flare isn't usually as bad as when one just takes a full dose right off. Most people cycle (flare and then feeling better) at 300 mgs. twice a day. One can start out on as little as 100 mgs. twice a day and build up. One can even increase more if one doesn't cycle. I built up to 2400 mgs. a day over time because I wanted to speed up the process. This is what is nice; the patient controls the whole thing. Most people will not cycle below 600 mgs. a day.

The book contains a section on diet. Many of us are hypoglycemic and should stay away from a high glycemic index carb diet; however, one needn't do a low-carb diet in order for the Guai to work.

This treatment does require patience and commitment. It seems like it's complicated and a lot of trouble when one first reads about it. I didn't do it right away. I took my time to get myself sal free. I started out on the 300 mgs. twice a day and had a Guai flare, which wasn't as bad as the usual flares. I even had a few good days in the beginning.

I look at it this way--I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. These last five years would have passed anyway and I would likely be sicker than I was then had I not done this treatment. I wish I had known about it long ago because I've probably had FMS all my life, in retrospect. When the body runs out of soft tissue in which to store the debris, it starts storing it in the joints. I have osteoarthritis and that isn't reversible. Still, the Guai does help with the OA pain.

If y'all decide this treatment sounds like something you might want to learn more about, get the book. I had to read some sections three times to fully understand them as I was very sick with Fibro Fog when I started. The good thing is that the Guai almost immediately cleared up the fog. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thanks Mikie!

Hold on anyone thinking of buying the book (it's brilliant) - there's a new edition due out at the beginning of March.
  10. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

when you talk about the guai treatment..what supplement or medicine are you taking.....
    shirley
  11. Landy

Landy New Member

Mikie, I've started the guai protocol in Nov of last yr so I'm a newbie. I've stopped using my toothpaste and mouth wash, skin care etc. I'm having trouble trying to find the diet best used while on the treatment. No luttuce, potato, pasta, em I correct. I started with the Robotussin 300 mg and went off ten days due to the hexheimer affect. Ten days on again until after
    Christmas and I stayed on it. From Jan 1 until the 25 I experienced energy every day with some days in between that were difficult. So I increased the dose to 600 mg. I experienced some bad days. Five days ago I switched to Musinex two tablets so 1200 mg. Wow,
    complete body pain, sickness to my stomach. I dropped the dose to 1 tablet and today I'm experiencing a pain free day with lots of energy. I have to tell you I'm a believer in this protocol. I embrace the bad days knowing that this guai is removing the phlem from my body. Already I can tell the difference. Can we exchange emails, not sure if you can here, if not that's fine. I will look for your responses on the board. I feel like I'm going into uncharted areas and could use some encouragement. Although no amount of pain or lack of energy could possibly discourage me. I've enjoyed a month of energy for the first time in 15 years. I'm thrilled at the propects.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is less expensive than the Mucinex which contains a dark blue/green dye which initially gave me a rash. I use the 400 mg. quick acting Guai and it works better for me than the extended release. The extended release is also sold here and it is not dye free but I don't know whether it contains as dark a dye as the Mucinex. COSTCO also sells it very inexpensively but it does have a little blue dye in it.

There is no dietary requirement except for mint or any supplements which contain botanical/herbal extracts. Dr. St. Amand recommends a low-carb diet if one is hypoglycemic. This means no white flour, white potatoes, white rice (except Basmati), nor sugar. Fruit, low on the glycemic index, is OK in limited amounts but it should be eaten separately. Most bread and pasta should be avoided but again, in limited amounts, it is usually OK now and then. If one is seriously insulin resistant or has Diabetes, one should check with one's doc on the diet. In fact, one should let one's doc know one is on the Guai treatment.

The Guai has almost no side effects nor adverse effects taken with other meds. Only pure Guai should be used for this treatment and definitely not cough preparations which contain Guai. They have other ingredients which should not be taken long term.

Good luck to all.

Love, Mikie