Guaifenesin Information

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lately, I have seen an increase in the interest in the Guaifenesin treatment. Unfortunately, it appears that many people are starting the Guai treatment without having read and understood the theory behind the treatment, the necessity of eliminating the sals or even what sals are and where they are to be found, the dosage and how to find the proper dose, and what to expect. This will almost certainly ensure a bad experience and possibly failure with the treatment.

The Guai treatment is one of the trickiest to get just right. It requires knowledge and patience. The first step is to read the book however many times it takes to fully understand everything (it took me three times).

The second step is to eliminate the sals before even starting the Guai.

Finally, one must tweak the dose, starting out slowly to avoid a bad flare. If no Guai flare appears after a couple of weeks, slowly increase the dose until a flare occurs. This is the proper dose. Later, the dose can always be increased to speed up the process, but it will produce a flare each time. I am now up to 1800 mgs a day, but I started out at the suggested 600 mgs.

Whenever I read that someone claims the Guai didn't work for them, I always wonder whether these steps were faithfully followed. Failure is almost always due to hidden sals or wrong dose. One person said she tried it for three months and "it didn't do anything" for her so she quit. Obviously, she was expecting some big improvement and probably hadn't reached her proper dose.

This is not a treatment for anyone seeking a quick fix. The rule of thumb is that it takes 2-3 months for every year one has been ill. I have been sick for 12 years, so that means somewhere between 24-36 months for total reversal; however, since I have speeded up the dosage, I believe my reversal will be shorter, closer to the 24 months. I've been on the Guai for 1 1/2 years and feel I am at least 3/4 reversed.

What to expect: When the proper dose is reached, a Guai flare will ensue. It may be quite painful. If the flare continues for more than a couple of weeks and is too painful, cut the dose down til the flare stops. This is a case of things getting worse before they get better. This is also a sign that the Guai is pulling the debris out of your tissues (good news!). The Guai pulls the debris out at a much faster rate than it was deposited by the body. The phosphate debris is in crystaline form, so when the Guai pulls it out, the crystals are abrasive to the tissues and it hurts. When I increased to 1800 mgs, the Guai was pulling the crystals out at such a huge rate that if I let my urine settle in the toilet for a few minutes, the crystals would settle to the bottom like a layer of salt. Now, it just looks like talcum powder floating on the top of my urine and the urine has that Guai smell to it.

A tip: Take calcium tablets with your meals and you can excrete some of the phosphates through your intestines instead of the kidneys. This gives the kidneys a break and speeds things up. Even people who are not on the Guai treatment can do this. There is a chemical relationship between calcium and phosphates in the body.

I hope this helps everyone who has just started the treatment or is considering the treatment. You are embarking on a very exciting treatment option which is the only one offering the possibility of reversing FMS symptoms. Once you get settled into the treatment, all you have to do is sit back and let the Guai do its thing.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lately, I have seen an increase in the interest in the Guaifenesin treatment. Unfortunately, it appears that many people are starting the Guai treatment without having read and understood the theory behind the treatment, the necessity of eliminating the sals or even what sals are and where they are to be found, the dosage and how to find the proper dose, and what to expect. This will almost certainly ensure a bad experience and possibly failure with the treatment.

The Guai treatment is one of the trickiest to get just right. It requires knowledge and patience. The first step is to read the book however many times it takes to fully understand everything (it took me three times).

The second step is to eliminate the sals before even starting the Guai.

Finally, one must tweak the dose, starting out slowly to avoid a bad flare. If no Guai flare appears after a couple of weeks, slowly increase the dose until a flare occurs. This is the proper dose. Later, the dose can always be increased to speed up the process, but it will produce a flare each time. I am now up to 1800 mgs a day, but I started out at the suggested 600 mgs.

Whenever I read that someone claims the Guai didn't work for them, I always wonder whether these steps were faithfully followed. Failure is almost always due to hidden sals or wrong dose. One person said she tried it for three months and "it didn't do anything" for her so she quit. Obviously, she was expecting some big improvement and probably hadn't reached her proper dose.

This is not a treatment for anyone seeking a quick fix. The rule of thumb is that it takes 2-3 months for every year one has been ill. I have been sick for 12 years, so that means somewhere between 24-36 months for total reversal; however, since I have speeded up the dosage, I believe my reversal will be shorter, closer to the 24 months. I've been on the Guai for 1 1/2 years and feel I am at least 3/4 reversed.

What to expect: When the proper dose is reached, a Guai flare will ensue. It may be quite painful. If the flare continues for more than a couple of weeks and is too painful, cut the dose down til the flare stops. This is a case of things getting worse before they get better. This is also a sign that the Guai is pulling the debris out of your tissues (good news!). The Guai pulls the debris out at a much faster rate than it was deposited by the body. The phosphate debris is in crystaline form, so when the Guai pulls it out, the crystals are abrasive to the tissues and it hurts. When I increased to 1800 mgs, the Guai was pulling the crystals out at such a huge rate that if I let my urine settle in the toilet for a few minutes, the crystals would settle to the bottom like a layer of salt. Now, it just looks like talcum powder floating on the top of my urine and the urine has that Guai smell to it.

A tip: Take calcium tablets with your meals and you can excrete some of the phosphates through your intestines instead of the kidneys. This gives the kidneys a break and speeds things up. Even people who are not on the Guai treatment can do this. There is a chemical relationship between calcium and phosphates in the body.

I hope this helps everyone who has just started the treatment or is considering the treatment. You are embarking on a very exciting treatment option which is the only one offering the possibility of reversing FMS symptoms. Once you get settled into the treatment, all you have to do is sit back and let the Guai do its thing.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. HiFive

HiFive New Member

in starting guai is the insuing flare getting me down. I am now working part-time and in school part-time (pre-nursing). I can't afford to be incopacitated at this time in my life. I am doing SO much better than a year and half ago....even a year ago. I am in significant pain but the fatigue and fog are TONS better most days! I thank God for it too. It has been a long hall. I have been so tired for so long it seems and it feels really good to have some pure energy.
    I am now (as I've already told you) I am cleaning up the diet to get the hypoglycemia under control and I am, one by one, deleting the sals from my daily regime. THAT ain't easy! My hope is that by just doing these things I will be much better pain wise. We'll see.
    pam
  4. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Thanks so much for that detailed account of how to use Guaif - I have just started out on 400 mg - 4x daily to get over a sinus infection - apparently it is the active ingredient in many old fasioned cough sryrups - this is a syrup of just straight guaif, colour,sugar and flavour. It is working on getting rid of the mucous that is like a stone in the back of my throat - but I also notice that my legs do not feel quite as lumpy - obviously I could need the higher dose in the form of a pill - where is it obtained - from the health food store - or online. Thanks - what is the name of the book as well.
  5. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I do not presume to know much at all about the guai treatment. I am currently reading the book by Dr. St. Amand....What Doctors May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia.
    It has the detailed info.
    Guaifenesin can be obtained over the internet in pill form or by prescription from your Doctor.
    I have a good friend, who is in a major flare, and started guai yesterday.
    Obviously I am just learning about the treatment.
    pam
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, thanks for the info. I have read the book and think I "get it." I appreciate the input, and am just starting out with 300 mg twice a day.

Hippo
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The book is by Dr. St. Amand and it's title is, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA." You need to read it and keep it around because it lists the 1,000 (yes, 1,000!) most common herbal/botanical ingredients in products. You can take it shopping and look up any ingredients in question.

Good luck to all of you and everyone who decides to try the Gaui treatment. The intital flares can be fairly mild to quite severe, and since we are all so different, it is difficult to figure out who will have a more severe flare. That is why it is important to start out slowly, usually with 300 mgs. twice a day. If that causes too much discomfort, you can buy the Guai in 100 or 200 mgs tablets without an Rx and start out even more slowly. Eighty percent of people do well on the 600 mgs a day dose.

What I like about this treatment is that you have almost nothing to lose and everything to gain. A flare when starting, and each time you increase the dose if you are wanting to speed things up like me, is a small price to pay for possibly reversing the symptoms of FMS.

I am starting to have aches and pains in my legs and hips since I've been off the Guai and I don't know how much longer I will be able to stay off the Guai. I may have to slow down the skin-care in order to go back on the Guai.

This is one instance when I am having a hard time makeing a difficult choice. The skin-care treatment from the plastic surgeon is as efficient as a chemical peel, less expensive, and works clear down into the dermis to bring up precancerous cells so they can slough off before ever becoming cancerous. That's a big concern down here in FL where we have so much sun. Obviously, I will have to make a decision here soon.

Love, Mikie