Guaifenesin Needs to be Looked INTO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by auhri1, Dec 15, 2005.

1. auhri1

auhri1 New Member

May want to try this Guaifenesin according to a book by R.Paul St. Amand, M.D. Could prove to be very effective for you . Do a google search on the topic and you can get some really good info. You can buy it over the counter in the drugstore as Mucinex. The Doctor's theory is that fibro patients cannot break down phosphates and it is inherited. Worth a try. Many have been virtually cured!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2005]P.S. i have chronic sinusitis and have always thought it was linked to fibro. feel this treatment may very well be worth my while.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2005]
  2. auhri1

auhri1 New Member

How many milligrams a day do you take? I have a real good feeling about this treatment.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

auhri1:

I am definitely going to look into the Mucinex. I saw it advertised on television and if it can help the FM and sinus problems I have it would be worth it. Does anyone know if it has a generic equivalent?
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They use some really nasty blue/green dye in it. The Guai is sold here. It is also sold at COSTCO very cheap but it also contains a blue dye, though not as heavy as the Mucinex.

The Guai I buy here is white and pure. It is also fast acting which works even better for me. Some do better on the long acting. It can be prescribed and compounded at a pharmacy.

The Guai treatment has been extensively discussed here and a search will bring up all our old posts on it. This is a treatment which takes time, patience and commitment but it is about the only treatment which offers the possibility of reversing the symptoms of FMS.

It almost immediately cleared up my Fibro Fog. I also have CFIDS and have some cognitive problems, but I no longer feel as though I'm walking through thick pea soup. After 4 1/2 years on the Guai, my FMS symptoms are about 90 percent reversed. If I get really sick with the CFIDS or injure myself, the pain can come back but it doesn't stay.

Considering the potential benefits, I'm surprised that more people don't consider this treatment. Once one has eliminated the sals and finds the right dose to cycle, all one has to do is let the Guai do its thing. Most failures with this treatment are due to hidden sals in people's regimens. Still, there seem to be a very few for whom this doesn't work. Basically, one has nothing to lose by trying it, except the cost of the Guai, and everything to gain.

If only I could find one thing which works so well for CFIDS. CFIDS requires complex, multiple pronged treatments and healing is so slow. I'm not well--yet. Still, the Guai has allowed me to concentrate on healing the CFIDS and not having to deal with the pain and fog of FMS.

When I started the Guai, I was on Morphine for pain and in bed most of the time. I seldom have to use anything stronger than an OTC pain med and I don't use them every day. I have CFIDS flares where I am exhausted but I also have some days where I can function well.

Good luck to anyone who decides to try the Gaui. If after reading the book, anyone has questions, there are some of us here who are happy to try to help. There is a lot of good info at Guaidoc.com. It is necessary to get the book before starting the Guai.

Love, Mikie
  5. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

You know how Mikie gave the info on guaidoc.com, well I'm so thankful, so thanks Mikie! :)
    When I went there, I clicked on Guaifenesin Protocol, and got a truckload of info, on more symptons, that I wasn't aware of for FM, but was having. I found out what not to take(meds)and/or eat because the guai won't work.
    If I had not went there, I wouldn't have known, and it could have been detrimental to even try the guai protocol!
    Thanks again! Karen
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are welcome. I'm glad you found the info helpful. I do not recommend anyone try the protocol without buying the book. It isn't expensive and it contains 1,000 of the most common ingredients which will block the Guai. All of one's personal items must be screened by making sure none of these botanicals/herbals is on the label. It can be difficult because often, labels just read, "fragrance." Of course, if something claims to contain botanicals, it should be avoided.

A general rule of thumb is that if a product is cheap, it likely doesn't contain botanicals. If you do a web search on sal free, you can get a list of sal-free products. Still, manufacturers change their formulas frequently, so one must still read labels before buying. Without the book, it can be almost impossible to recognize the more uncommon botanicals.

In addition, the book is handy to refer to as one's treatment progresses. There really isn't anything one must refrain from eating. I would stay away from mint, though. Herbs and botanicals eaten are broken down and do not typically block the Gaui. Dr. St. Amand does suggest a low-carb diet as many with FMS are hypoglycemic.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  7. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

I read about Guiafenesin in Dr. St Amand's book as well. I'm really glad to know others are on it and doing so well. Was thinking about talking to my dr about it, and now I'm really sure it's something I want to do. Worst case senario is it doesn't help and I can always stop taking it.

Thanks for all the info. Checking out the other sites you've all mentioned.

Megan