GUAIFENESIN: One Medicine, Several Effects/ Interesting site

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Mark London wrote this site, I cannot find a web page but try typing in the above. It is a very long paper! However, it is worth a read as he underlines a lot of the reasons why Guai could be working and offers some explanations for those people who dismiss it because of other "research". It is very thought provoking and his links are pretty good. If you have the time or can print it out, I do think it is worth a read. This may be old hat to some of you, but I leaned a lot of new stuff here.

Another heading you may be able to google it on is
    "The Truths and Myths of the Use of Guaifenison"

As I am taking Guai, I was most interested in his report which, incidentally supports the use of Guai, even bringing in the herbal tree bark use, but thinks the reasons it may be working may be several different ways.
    Love Anne
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I read this very interesting paper several years ago. I have always believed that the Guai works for reasons beyond what Dr. St. Amand theorizes. To me, the important thing is that the Guai has worked and my FMS symptoms are about 90 percent reversed. Good luck to you with the Guai.

As I've mentioned before, I also have CFIDS, which is much more challenging to treat, so I am not well--yet. Still, if I hadn't been able to reverse the FMS symptoms, I don't believe I could be free to aggressively work on the CFIDS.

Love, Mikie
  3. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I was recently told by my doc that the little lumps I get from FM consist of mucus. Guai thins out mucus (expectorant) so she felt this was even more support for St. Amand's protocol.

I have been on it for quite sometime. I've had to come off just as winter hits as my mouth, throat get so dry. Once I've adjusted to the dry air, I'm right back on the Guai.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

was that he gives some other valid explanations of why this works as well as the lumps theory. though I do have those.

Why I liked some of the stuff written was that it gave one a different approach on the protocol that may be a bit easier for people who tried it and gave up with it being too rigorous. You'll need a day to read it all though. I think writer has Fibro and uses Guai himself. Has it given anyone else headaches?
    Love Anne