Guaifenesin Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by curlygurl, Dec 8, 2012.

1. curlygurl

curlygurl New Member

Has anyone experienced any adverse reactions to high dosages of Guaifenesin. I am very excited to start the Protocol but Dosages in the 1200mg - 1800mg range make me a little nervous.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, buy Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA," and follow the protocol to the letter. Starting out with a dose of 1200-1800 mgs. could cause a very, very painful Guai flare. Start out slowly and work up. Be sure to eliminate all salicylates in your regimen or the Guai will likely be a waste.

The Guai Protocol is not a cure but it healed my FMS symptoms for the most part, including pain. Unfortunately, I also had CFIDS/ME so my fatigue remained. Still, getting off morphine and not being bedridden most of the time with Fibro Fog was worth following this demanding treatment.

This is a long-term treatment, requiring patience. Most failures are from hidden sals in one's regimen. Best of luck to you if you decide to do it.

Love, Mikie
  3. poppylady

poppylady New Member

I have been on Guaifenesin since 2003 and started at 400 mg and kept increasing by 400 mg weekly until I hit 1600 mg. I felt sick for about 4 mths. It was horrible but then I started feeling better and then I have stayed at 1600 mg since then. My physiotherepist was kind enought to map my body for lumps and bumps in my muscles. It took about a year for them to disappear. I still follow Dr. St.Armands protocol. Good luck
    It got me to stop smoking which I am very grateful for. Carol
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Yes, definitely get the book Mikie recommended and follow it to the letter. It's very important NOT to start at such a high dosage. You want to start at a very low dose that is precisely explained in the book and only go that high if absolutely necessary. Only a very small percentage of people need that high of a dose.

Most people tolerate the Guai very well, myself included. The Guai Protocol (and gentle exercise) reversed my pain. I have other symptoms (fatigue) still present at times, but the extremely intense pain is GONE. So worth trying! I will pray for you that it works.

Warmly,

Erika