Guaifenex... any good for FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slim7771, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Slim7771

Slim7771 New Member

My Dr. prescribed Guaifenex for FMS. Also to relieve swelling in a problem knee. Anyone had success with this? Thanks.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

It's slower on weekends, otherwise you would've gotten many answers from people taking the Guai. I have not been on the Guaifenesin long enough to answer your question about results, but others have. You might want to bump this post so it stays on the front page until Monday when Mikie is here...she's been on it a long time and gotten good results. If you don't know how to "bump" click on "Message Board rules" on the front page and read about it.
    There are two things you need to know right now, and they are that Guai is a lifelong committment, since it only works while you are taking it, and the other is that the Guai won't work at all unless you follow the treatment plan of the doc who discovered it EXACTLY. This means you must read his book, called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by R. Paul St. Amand, M.D. I am not kidding...Guai does not work if you injest or put on your skin even the tiniest amount of any substance containing a Salycilate. This means no herbal supplements, no plant extracts in supplements or skin lotions, no mint toothpaste or floss or mouthwash, no herbal shampoos or aloe in makeup, etc. on and on. You can look up Dr. St. Amand on a search engine and find his guaidoc website. We are not allowed to post URL's here, but there is a big hint as to the website address in my last sentence. There you will see long lists of products that contain salycilates and long lists of those that don't. Also, I hope your prescribing doctor told you that the Guai works by making you worse at first, as it pulls inorganic phosphate crystals from your tissues. That is how you will know when you reach your individual correct dose, because you will hurt, badly. You start at 300 mgs. twice daily and take that for a week, if you aren't noticeably worse, raise to 600 mgs. twice daily. This is the dose that works for most people, so stay with that for 3 weeks. If you still don't feel worse ,then you go to 1,200 for a couple weeks, then 1,800 and stay there for a month. Still no results? Then go to the full "normal person" dose of 2,400. If you get no results there, re-check all of your products again to make sure you didn't miss any salycilates. I got no results at first because I didn't check my single item supplements, and it turned out my Potassium supplement had a plant extract in the tablet formation. That alone was enough to block the Guai. Two days after I eliminated it, I got a whole lot worse, so I knew it was working. It is hard work sorting all this out at first, but you can do it! Good luck,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2003]
  3. Jude

Jude New Member

The guai will help with swelling in your knee and if used properly has helped many reverse FMS. I have been on the protocol since last April. Besides overall pain, my biggest problem was sleep. I still have problems in that area but I'm better than I was a year ago. For the first time in five years I was able to spend the night in a motel room this week and get some sleep. I felt so liberated.

Jude
  4. Slim7771

Slim7771 New Member

Yes, thanks you all. Turns out I have that book... just never read it. Dr. never said anything about getting worse or all those restrictions. Just to dring a gallon of clear fluids a day. Will ask him, though. Thanks for your help.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most docs have "heard" that the Guai is good for FMS, but they don't have a clue as to the protocol or how to regulate the dose. It is imperative that one read the book, understand the theory and protocol, and eliminate all sals. It's usually very helpful to eat a high-protein, low-carb diet as well, since a lot of us are hypoglycemic and many of us are insulin resistant and overweight as well. The Guai by itself, without eliminating the sals is usually pretty much useless.

I've been on the Guai for almost two years now and get better all the time. I seldom need anything for pain. My energy is better, but because I also suffer from CFIDS, I still have some fatigue, but again, it's getting better. I have chronic mycoplasma infection and am just now weaning off the antibiotics.

The Guai has been a very important part of my recovery and has gotten me off of Morphine for pain. The antibiotic treatment has been another very important treatment. I take Klonopin which has allowed me to sleep and has pretty much gotten rid of my anxiety/panic attacks, tinnitus, and sensory overload. I have lost 24 pounds on the Suzanne Somers low-carb diet and my blood pressure and lipids have returned to normal. I take denatured whey and colostrum to try to rebuild my immune system. Finally, I try to exercise as my body allows.

No one thing is the answer, and what works for one may not work for another. It takes a complete change of lifestyle, an integrated approach to healing, and reduction of stress to get better. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. Slim7771

Slim7771 New Member

Yes, I also have CFIDS and take Klonopin for sleep. It helps, but still my sleep is usually poor quality.

My new Osteopath just started me on the Guai. I need to ask him about the Amand protocol, now. Of course, I need to read it myself. I am glad it has been helping you. I appreciate the good advice.

I also suspect yeast overgrowth, as well as mercury toxicity from fillings. Will be moving on those soon.

Thanks again,
    Slim
  7. Sky

Sky New Member

Just wanted to let you know that I am on the guai as well and have had extremely good results with it.

Mikie and I started our treatment within 2 days of one another. And we have our 2 year anniversary coming up in May.

I went from being barely able to walk, to playing soccer again. The guai, diet and exercise made a world of difference for me.

My doctor put me on guai without even knowing what it did. She just 'heard' it was good for fibro people. Well, I didn't take it at first, but spent the next 2 months studying the protocol and going thru all of my products. It seems like a difficult protocol to follow, but once your in it, it's not really. You do have to give up some of your favorite topical products, but there are good replacements.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing,
    Hugs,
    Sky
  8. Slim7771

Slim7771 New Member

Thankyou, Sky. My doctor put me on Guai without telling me anything about a protocol. But, now, I am reading Amand's book about it. I don't yet know which vitamins and herbs to give up, except the few mentioned in the book. Hope it is not too many, as I really believe in them.

Well, thanks for the encouragement.

Slim :)
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Giving up some of my favorite herbal supplements was the most difficult part of the Guai treatment, but the benefits have far outweighed what I have given up.

Love, Mikie
  10. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I take Guai. 150mgs twice a day because I am chemical sensitive. This dosage works for me.
    I stopped taking Guai. a couple of weeks ago for awhile and yuck - the pain was unbearable. This was enough evidence for me that the medicine does help.
    Good luck, Vicky
  11. Slim7771

Slim7771 New Member

Thankyou, Mikie and Vicky, for your kind encouragement. I guess it will be worth it. Good luck to both of you.

Blessings,
    Slim :)