Guaifenisen controversy- to try or not to try

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pryna, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Pryna

Pryna New Member

The literature/material on fibromyalgia and what to do about it is dizzying!! I have been reading a number of books, some suggest herbal remedies and dietary changes, while there is another that touts significant reversal of the symptoms of fibro. If indeed the latter is true, I wonder if there are a number of people out there who have tried it. It does seem to be a commitiment in terms of avoiding Salycilates, but I was just wondering if there was a concensus on this board as to what appears to be promising, and what is just hype.
    Any information is appreciated.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board.

There really is no controversy about the Guai treatment. It is just like everything else. It works for some but not for everyone. I believe when there are failures, it is due to hidden sals, lack of correct dose, or even in cases of misdiagnosis; however, there have been people for whom none of this applies and yet, the Guai has not worked for them.

My viewpoint is: What have you got to lose? For everything there is a tradeoff. With the Guai, one must give up some supplements and personal care items. The benefit is the possibility to reverse the symptoms of FMS. It has been successful for many, including me. I has enabled me to get off of Morphine.

If one decides to try the Guai treatment, it is essential to read Dr. St. Amand's book, understand the theory and protocol, and be willing to be patient and tweak the dose.

You can use the search feature and bring up our old posts on the Guai treatment. I wish you luck if you decide to try it.

Love, Mikie