guaifenisen question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by obrnlc, Mar 18, 2007.

1. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi all that are using this protocol, and anyone else wanting to throw their 2 cents in.

My question--now that mucinex is over the counter (what a disgusting commercial, too!) my insurance won't cover it and i can't afford the amount nec. for a year or so of the protocol(at 4/day, would need to buy ev. 5 days!) Now--giant eagle and walmart have this $4 prescription program but it is only good for the guai. with dextro. (i took dextro w.compound hydrocodone, helps increase pain med a little, not a bad side effect)

does anyone know if the dextromethorphan would be a problem with the protocol? (it is also OTC, but the discount is for the DM and not the plain--go figure!)

My doc wants me to try it again, but the office gestapo can't grasp my request for the DM rather than regular due to the $4 prescr. Even the $53 store special is a little out of reach for me right now, but at least its 100 tabs.
    Thank you--L

any thoughts/ideas?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We were told all along that it isn't good to take products with the DXM in them long term; however, someone here had a doc who said it was OK. The DXM does help with pain.

I buy the Guai at Costco and it is dirt cheap but it is the FA Guai and not the LA Guai. I only take a maintenance dose now, after almost seven years, so I don't need strong tablets.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi...I have been on the guai protocol for a year, and have recently switched from Mucinex to Marina Del Ray Pharmacy compounded long-acting guai. It costs around $160 for 500 tablets. You do need a doctor's prescription for this (I had my doctor fax the prescription to them...they have a website, but I can't remember the name at the moment...fibro-fog!).

It is cheaper and some think works better than Mucinex. It is dye-free, too. There may be a link to their website at the fibromyalgiatreatment.com website. Have you been there? There is a web board there, too, and so much good info is posted each day if you sign up.

I hope this helps...good luck! Ann
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

thank you, Mikie and Ann.
    Mikie--what maintenance dose do you need to take after you are "better"(can't think of word)?
    Ann--how long have you been on the protocol?
    thanks-L
  6. bigmh

bigmh New Member

1 year for me....Ann